News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

HQ of the Forum Revival Movement (Viva la Forum!)

Started by Wylder Treejumper, May 07, 2015, 08:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

Welcome to the HQ of the Forum Revival Movement. Because of certain events and posts, I have taken it upon myself to start this movement. It appears that the forum has some things that could be improved. I know our mods are hard at work, but I figured the help of all members would greatly increase the likelyhood of improvement. So far, I have identified a few things that need fixing or improving:

-Redwall Discussion: As so much energy is directed towards the cellars, the Redwall Discussion Board has become far less active. In order to attract more new members, I recommend this foundational board be revived.

-RPing: The forum once had a very strong RP history. For the benefit of all members, I suggest we work to restore that status.

-General Forum Reform: Some general things that should be done, like creating an active Redwall Cooking Community, adding sub-boards and a few other things.

I suggest that we discuss as much as possible ways to improve the forum and implement these ideas. Perhaps forming member committees for specific subjects would be a possibility.

Please discuss!

Strategic Command

Problems
-Redwall Discussion crowding
-Redwall Discussion inactivity
-RP inactivity
-RP board division
-Fan Works board inactivity
-Recipe sub-board inactivity

Suggestions
-Pin popular Redwall Discussion topics
-Recycle unused RP ideas
-Archive older Redwall Discussion topics
-Periodic fanfiction and art contests
-Periodic fanworks award

Committees
-Redwall Discussion Committee
-RP Committee
-Fan Works Committee [Recipe Sub-Committee]
-Membership Committee

Committee Contents
RP Committee: Cornflower MM, Izeroth, Lord Ashenwyte, Gonff the Mousethief, Jukka the Sling, The Mask
Fan Works Committee: Gonff the Mousethief, Wylder Treejumper, Lord Ashenwyte, Skyblade
       Recipe Board Sub-Committee: Wylder Treejumper, ...
Redwall Discussion Committee: Wylder Treejumper, ...
Membership Committee:The Mask, Wylder Treejumper, Gonff the Mousethief...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Skyblade

I have also noticed these posts and tried to improve things around here. Granted, the forums are a great place as is. However, everything can use improvement. My standard is perfection (though lately I have been very far from reaching it, sadly).

I am truly impressed you have conceived of this idea and have taken it upon yourself to start this important project. For that, Wylder, kudos.

I have been trying to post more in the Redwall Discussion boards. I also have (what I think is) a good idea for an RP to revitalize the corresponding board - a Redwall version of the Hunger Games.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Wylder Treejumper

I almost think that part of the reason the Redwall Discussion Board has not been active is the amount of topics from previous years in it. A lot of times I notice the topics seem to have been "discussed through", and thus de-incentivises new members from joing the discussion. Also, some pointless topics clog up space and rob more vital topics of their place on the first page.

Thoughts?
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Izeroth

I think it would be a good idea to have two rp sub-boards: canon and non-canon. The canon board would deal with traditional Redwall canon, while the non-canon board would contain Rps not true to the books. (e.g. stories not based on the Redwall continent, or including things like humans or aliens)

The Skarzs

Actually, the discussion boards in the past few months have been more active than they have been for about six months before. But yes, it would be good to try to make those even more active.

As for the RPs, one problem is that a lot of the ideas have been done before, so trying to get an RP that is gung-ho and active will prove difficult due to the possible limitations of the ideas one might have for an RP.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

Does anyone remember when I tried to do the Redwall Hunger Games with the Fight Pits? Because I'd be perfectly willing to do it again if enough people are interested
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Wylder Treejumper

In regards to RP's, I personally think that story variations are endless. Imagination is a wonderful thing. In the mean time perhaps we could have people that could delve into the RP Board, find all the RPs with very good ideas that were never started, and run them?

Personally I think it would be a good idea to clear out (archive) some of the older Redwall Discussion topics, leaving more room for newer ones to grow. That way, more discussions could take place without a lot of outdated things cluttering up the space, but could still be referenced via an archive board. That would be something a mod would need to do, but...

Anybody interested on working on the recipe section of the forum with me? Because right now I'm doing my best to attract traffic in that direction.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Izeroth

I think it would be a good idea to pin some of the better discussion topics, and perhaps even have a Redwall Discussion essay contest.

Gonff the Mousethief

@Wylder: I have not been a very cook ever, so I could not help you there. Sorry man...

Honestly, I feel like most of the boards above Cavern Hole are going down. It has been really sad to see the Fan Fiction area go down. I always loved waiting for a new part in a good story. I have no real suggestions here, but I will try to create some.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Wylder Treejumper

Exactly my point! This topic is to generate ideas for mods and members to carry out to SAVE the rest of the forum. Honestly, I feel like the emphasis on the Cellars has degraded the rest of the forum a bit, as the Cellars are not exactly the most productive of boards...

I've also been thinking that we should form commitees designated to work on specific areas of the forum. Mods are great, but they are busy. We members are on here EVERY DAY, so if those boards are failing... it's our fault! Which means it's also our responsibility to restore them.

I'm editing my main post to now include specific problems and suggestions.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Søren

Doesn't this belong in "Suggestions and Concerns"?

I'm retired from the forum

Wylder Treejumper

Not necessarily... That board is maily for mods to deal with.

Besides, I can make people look at it more if it is in Cavern Hole.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Søren

Well, please don't include me in any lists. I don't want to be part of a "committee". Not that I do t agree with what's being said, but I don't have the time or need for more responsibility.
Thanks. :)

I'm retired from the forum

Gonff the Mousethief

What would it take to be part of the Fan Works Committee?
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Wylder Treejumper

Only a little bit of time. The comittees I am thinking of would just be made up of volunteers interested in improving that area of the forum. The comittees would discuss and then implement ideas for improvements, for example, sponsoring a fan-fiction contest and soliciting prizes and entries.

If you would like to be the first comittee member, we'd be glad to have you! (I'll join once more comittees become filled)
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington