News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Villains that weren't really villains

Started by Tiria Wildlough, July 04, 2011, 07:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabretache5611

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 06, 2011, 02:57:18 PM
Blaggut was good all along, it was just never shown until it was at all possible it could be shown. There was no way for him to demosnatrte himself as good, and thus gray, until the end of The Bellmaker. Same for Romsca, and Grubbage.
wouldn't say same for romsca, but certainly for blaggut and grubbage
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

daskar666

IMO Tramun Clogg wasn't really a villain.

Icefire

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on July 05, 2011, 05:51:08 AM
I really liked it how Romsca and Blaggut showed some... concern, I guess, for the "good" characters. They were awesome.
I liked Romsca, too. And  Grubbage! I really do pity some of those villain side-kick kind of characters who are only there because some actual villain sort of forced them into it.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Tiria Wildlough

My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

sabretache5611

Quote from: daskar666 on July 06, 2011, 06:31:40 PM
IMO Tramun Clogg wasn't really a villain.
Yes he was.  He was a searat, he looted he plundered he backstabbed.  even Badrang was afraid of Clogg's reputation.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Exactly, and also: He wasn't a hero, that makes him a villain. There are no gray characters in Redwall. The gray characters that do exist are still villain or hero, they're just against normal species alignment.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

daskar666

I don't remember him doing anything OVERLY villainous in the story (except the part with Celandine) he seemed to be genuinely friendly with Ballaw (and when he learned it was a trick it seemed like he chased them more because he felt cheated), in the final battle he ignored Badrang and almost rooted for the woodlanders in a way, and he didn't die.
Don't forget Blaggut Romsca and Grubbage were corsairs as well, plus plenty of characters scared antagonists regardless of their allegiance.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Truman Clogg is no doubt a fascinating character. He wears a unique style, and talks with a unique way. Actually, his tale is pretty funny. Achieve a land slide victory by simply locking Badrang out of his fortress, then allow the guy to sneak back in by way of an escape tunnel. Then have your crew abandon you, go mad and insane, and supposedly bury them all along with your enemy. Fascinating, defiantly. Villianous, I'd say yes.

Surviving also made him the first villain leader to not die by the end of the novel. Only two others managed that, Ruggan Bor and the Badredd/Little Redd.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Redwall Musician

Clogg is bad, but not evil. Does that make sense?
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

sabretache5611

Quote from: Redwall Musician on July 08, 2011, 05:49:08 PM
evil is a synonym for bad so what ur saying does not make sense

Redwall Musician

Quote from: sabretache5611 on July 08, 2011, 06:37:56 PM
Quote from: Redwall Musician on July 08, 2011, 05:49:08 PM
evil is a synonym for bad so what ur saying does not make sense
Sorry for randomness of this quote:

"'His name is Winnie-ther-Pooh,' said Christopher Robin, 'You do know what ther means?'
'Indeed I do,' said I knowing it was the only explanation I would get."

Non-sense. So wonderful. It inspired A.A.Milne to write Winnie-the-Pooh. I love Pooh!

You can ignore me now.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

James Gryphon

I'd say that as a slaver, thief, and would-be murderer, Cap'n Clogg does rank as an evil villain, even if you otherwise like his style.

Whether he is necessarily evil at the end of the book, after he's lost his mind, is debatable, but in his right mind he is definitely so.
« Subject to editing »

daskar666

I think I'd say that he was a villain in the same way that Yoofus Lightpaw was a hero.

sabretache5611

Quote from: daskar666 on July 09, 2011, 07:23:30 PM
I think I'd say that he was a villain in the same way that Yoofus Lightpaw was a hero.
What does that mean sorry.  do u mean he is a villain or nada, because if u think he isn't a villain, refer to previous comments.  Tramun Clogg is a villain period

daskar666

Quote from: sabretache5611 on July 10, 2011, 02:59:34 AM
Quote from: daskar666 on July 09, 2011, 07:23:30 PM
What does that mean sorry.  do u mean he is a villain or nada, because if u think he isn't a villain, refer to previous comments.  Tramun Clogg is a villain period
If you look at Yoofus...he was a protagonist...but...not exactly. Same with Clogg's antagonism.
One other fact that I forgot to include is that he was friendly with his crew, a possible unique scenario for any type of vermin leader.