Users Online In The Last 24-Hours Feature

Started by Tungro, April 04, 2019, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tungro

Other forums I have been on have this feature and it is pretty useful.
For example, just today we had @LT Sandpaw and @Tiny Jackalope online and I don't think anybody noticed. It also gives guests a good idea on how active the forum actually is. They might arrive to see no one online when there happened to be seven online thirty minutes ago. Any thoughts?

Captain Tammo

A bit different from the "most online today" tag we have at the bottom. Could be worth exploring a feature like this. It'd look nice, I think! Any other similar ideas?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Chipster of Noonvale

Hmm, not sure.  Maybe a "members who posted within the last 24 hours" might be better?  If we include all the lurkers who don't post, the forum might look more active than it actually is.  Although, knowing that some of these lurkers are still alive would be nice...

Tungro

Quote from: Chipster of Noonvale on April 04, 2019, 11:11:42 PM
knowing that some of these lurkers are still alive would be nice
My point exactly ;)

The Skarzs

For example, Mr. Sandpaw seemed to have disappeared into the ether. Good to know he's still kicking.
I like this idea; not sure how it could be implemented, though.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Tungro

I was thinking something like this,

Chipster of Noonvale

There are several software add-ons that should provide this feature.

Having the entire list of users online in the last 24 hours at the top of the page might make things cluttered though; it would be better at the bottom.

Ouroboros

Quote from: Chipster of Noonvale on April 05, 2019, 09:40:40 PM
Having the entire list of users online in the last 24 hours at the top of the page might make things cluttered though; it would be better at the bottom.

Can we put Who's Online back at the bottom of the page as well instead of awkwardly shoving it into the top corner? ::)

Chipster of Noonvale

Quote from: Ouroboros on April 05, 2019, 11:56:37 PM
Can we put Who's Online back at the bottom of the page as well instead of awkwardly shoving it into the top corner? ::)
I would support that, but I remember it took James a long time to put it the way it is now.  Reverting the change will hopefully be easier...

Cornflower MM

Oh I would love that as well, to be honest. I still go to the bottom of the board index to see.

I think having a "Users Online In The Past 24 Hours" would be nice as well.

Kreg

or a compromise! have it in both places if that would not be to hard.

Also think a users online in the past 24 hours would be good too.
You can't spell low IQ without a lot of boogaly (boo-ga-lee)

Come To My Shop!

OooooOOooo, shiny!

Nadaz, voice of the host

I definitely see the benefits of this feature and have seen it on many other forums, I can't see any reason why this would be bad so long as it is not hard to make.
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

The Skarzs

Perhaps it could be a board within a beard, so to speak. Instead of being on the index page, you would see the list from the past 24 hours when you go into who's online.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

I'll see what I can workshop together with the other staff! Give it time, though; we're all working on some other projects right now. One thing Dan and I are doing is learning the basics of our forum software. We've got a ways to go before we're as fluent as James was, though!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Tungro

Nice to see that it will be applied. Cheers to the Mods