"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Rainshadow, September 14, 2012, 11:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

long
"Mother, Father:

It's my seventeenth birthday today. I know that to write to you is to break the Law. I know that I will likely tear this letter in pieces when it is finished, as I have done on all my birthdays past since I was twelve. Bt I write anyway, to commemorate the occasion, the way some make yearly pilgrimages to a grave to remember the death of a loved one. For are we not dead to each other?

I wonder if when you woke this morning, you remembered that today, seventeen years ago, you had a son. I wonder if you think of me, and imagine my life, here in the Institute in London. I doubt you could imagine it. It is so very different from our house surrounded by mountains and the great, clear blue sky and the endless green. Here everything is black and gray and brown, and the sunsets are painted in smoke and blood.

I wonder if you worry that I am lonely, or as mother always used to, that I am cold or that I have gone out in the rain again without a hat. No one here worries about those details. There are so many things that could kill us at any moment, catching a chill hardly seems important.

I wonder if you knew that I could hear you that ay you came for me when I was twelve. I crawled under the bed to block out the sound of you crying my name. But I heard you. I heard mother call for her bach, her little one. I bit my hands until they bled but I did not come down and eventually Charlotte convinced you to go away. I thought you might come again but you never did. Herondales are stubborn like that.

I remember the great sighs of relief you would both give, each time the Council came to ask me if I wished to join the Nephilim and leave my family, and each time I said no and sent them away. I wonder if you knew I was tempted: by the idea of a life of glory, of fighting and killing to protect as a man should. It is in our blood: the call to seraph and stele, to Marks and to monsters.

I wonder why you left the Nephilim, Father; I wonder why Mother chose not to Ascend and to become a Shadowhunter. Is it because you found them cruel or cold? I have not found them so. Charlotte especially is kind to me, little knowing how much I do not deserve it. Henry is mad as a brush, but a good man: he would have made Ella laugh. There is little good to be said about Jessamine, but she is harmless. As little as there is good to say about her, there is as much good to say about Jem—he is the brother Father always thought I should have, blood of my blood, though we are no relation. Though I might have lost everything else, at least I have gained one thing in his friendship. And we have a new addition to our household, too. Her name is Tessa. A pretty name, is it not? When the clouds used to roll over the mountains from the ocean—that gray is the color of her eyes —"
[close]
~A Letter From Will to His Parents Unsent and Unfinished by Cassandra Clare

Will stop, no, you're breaking my heart, tell them why you left dang it, don't just leave them wondering, tell them about the curse Will, even if you're not going to send it, put it in writing so that I'd be sure that you would tell them if you could. What about Ella Will? Don't you think they'd want to know how she died. Will, tell them about Marbas you fool, stop messing with my emotions, don't go off on a tangent about Tessa, talk about the curse darn you!
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Skyblade

Two of my favorite quotes, copied and pasted from my signature:

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place."
~ Nora Roberts

Keep calm and battle on.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Luftwaffles

"The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision".

- Maimonides
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Skyblade

Quotes from Harper Lee, author of To Kill a Mockingbird (By the way, that is a great novel. I thought a classic wouldn't make me laugh out loud; I was wrong)

"The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think..."

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

"Mockingbirds don't do one thing except make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corn cribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

"They've done it before and they did it tonight and they'll do it again and when they do it – seems that only children weep."

White One6193

"The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault." -Harry Dresden

"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Luftwaffles

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Skyblade

I approached a kid and asked: "What is love?"

The kid answered, "Love is when a puppy licks your face."

I laughed, but then he added, "Even after you left him alone all day."

Wot, wot!

:)
"I either need therapy or a puppy"
- our family-friend
"Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."

FastFang

use the force, Harry.

-Gandalf (from narnia books)
google translate saved my life!

LT Sandpaw

"Its important to have fun in life, but while your partying and horsing around someone out there at the same time is working hard, someone is getting smarter and someone is winning, so if you want to win there's no way around it you must always work hard." -Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Jetthebinturong

"They talk of democracy, freedom, fairness. These are the creeds of cowards! The ones who would listen to a thousand viewpoints and try to satisfy them all. Achievement comes through absolute power and power through strength! They have lost!"
~ Davros, Doctor Who: Genesis of the Daleks
(Would like to note that I do not agree with his statement)

"Serve you Sutekh? Your name is abominated in every civilised world, whether that name be Set, Satan, Sadok-"
"Serve me Doctor!"
"Never!"
*Activates torture beams* "You pit your puny will against mine? Kneel!"
"No!"
"Kneel before the might of Sutekh! In my presence you are an ant, a termite. Abase yourself you grovelling insect!"
~ The Fourth Doctor and Sutekh, Doctor Who: Pyramids of Mars

"Why use your powers for evil?"
"Evil? Your evil is my good. I am Sutekh the Destroyer, where I tread I leave nothing but dust and darkness. I find that good"
~ The Fourth Doctor and Sutekh, Doctor Who: Pyramids of Mars

"Deactivating a generated loop without the correct key is like repairing a watch with a hammer and chisel. One false move and you'll never know the time again."
~ The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who: Pyramids of Mars

Hickory

"Kill, crush, destroy!"
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Wot, wot! on March 21, 2015, 06:37:57 PM
:)
"I either need therapy or a puppy"
- our family-friend

Best-quote-ever.

Jetthebinturong

AG: I only ever wanted to do the right thing no matter how it made people judge me, and I don't need a magic ring to do that.
AG: You don't have to be alive to make yourself relevant.
AG: And you don't have to be a good person to be a hero.
AG: You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.
AG: So I'm going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how.
AG: By being me.
~ Vriska Serket, Homestuck

I am not a god.
I am a guardian, a servant and a weapon.
I have power and knowledge far surpassing a god.
But I am not one.
~ Doc Scratch, Homestuck

What would you say if I said a dutiful girl raised in the daylight was protected by a bulb-headed guardian, and learned to glow in the dark after death?
What would you say if I said a vengeful boy on a path of nihilism was taken under the wings of fearsome angels, and learned to destroy hope with their light?
What would you say if I said a reserved girl enamored by what dwelt in shadow was selected by the horrorterrors for service, and did their bidding at every step while convinced of her own autonomy?
TT: What would I say to those short fables?
TT: Not much, except I gather the third is a story about me, and that there's a lesson you'd like me to take from it.
TT: That I should renounce my "allegiance" before my grimdark corruption is absolute.
~ Doc Scratch and Rose Lalonde, Homestuck

Long but awesome (also potential spoilers for anyone reading Homestuck)

TT: Ever hear of Guy Fieri?
GT: No?
GT: I dont think so.
TT: You're fortunate then.
TT: He was an especially degenerate piece of filth.
TT: He used his connections and guile to wriggle into the spotlight, and then on to other positions of power.
TT: He somehow landed on the U.S. Supreme Court. Over the years, other justices started mysteriously disappearing without being replaced.
TT: After helping rewrite the constitution to form an incomprehensible patchwork of fascism, theocratic mandates, recipes, and bad rap lyrics, he weaseled his way up the ranks to become the High Chaplain of Interstellar War.
TT: I'm just gonna cut to the chase, cause really this ain't a big history lesson here.
TT: He eventually came to be regarded as the third and final Antichrist.
TT: No other human in history was responsible for more death and suffering.
GT: That boorish cur!!!
TT: Yes, that's exactly the phrase I would use to describe someone responsible for the extermination of five billion people.
TT: It was just so uncivilized of him.
GT: How could such an atrocity be allowed to happen?
GT: Was his personal magnetism really that overwhelming?
TT: Maybe overwhelming in the wrong direction, yeah.
TT: But it didn't happen overnight. It was a gradual decline in the integrity of the system that allowed it.
TT: Eventually the wheels came off and the political scene mirrored the absurdity of the media circus.
TT: By the time Presidents Jay and Dope were elected, western civilization had officially turned itself over forever, and I think everyone knew it.
GT: Oh no.
GT: When does that happen?
TT: 2024. The last free election the world would ever see.
GT: So like...
GT: They were on the ticket together? As president and vice president?
TT: No, man.
TT: They were both president.
TT: They were the first Dual-Presidents of the United States of America. Also the last.
TT: The next several grueling terms of their presidency was a weird combination of authoritarian practices. The Baroness used it as a puppet regime, while still basically giving them carte blanche to carry out their idiotic whims.
TT: Faygo was pumped through the plumbing instead of tap water. The new national pastime was having type 2 diabetes. And the national anthem was replaced by a 3 minute high-reverb audio clip of President Jay farting into a microphone while laughing.
TT: Chaplain Fieri was authorized to set up the death camps, in which anyone on the planet could be imprisoned if they were not deemed sufficiently "mirthful."
TT: And so the cleansing began, priming humanity for its new ruler waiting in the wings.
TT: This was when our ancestors had enough.
TT: The resistance movement had failed, but they could at least bring the war criminals to justice.
TT: My bro finally caught up with the presidents and challenged them to a duel.
TT: They accepted, having for years regarded him as a cocky rival rapper who failed to show them the proper respect. In their arrogance they invited him into the foul belly of the Carnival believing they could teach him once and for all what it truly meant to be down with the clown.
TT: For centuries thereafter, survivors of the Hilarocaust would cite the rooftop showdown as one of the most heroic moments in human history.
TT: He killed them both.
TT: Unfortunately, as they were only figureheads, no liberation followed. There would be no parades in the streets, or statues cast, or medals awarded.
TT: The few witnesses would report seeing only a man with a sword on a terrible skateboard, gently rising into the night sky.
TT: No one ever saw him again.
TT: Meanwhile, Roxy's mom was tracking down the High Chaplain.
TT: His crimes had already been committed. She couldn't repay them by any stretch of the imagination.
TT: But she could wipe the blood stained grin off that fat jerk's face.
TT: She gouged his eyes with a pair of needles.
TT: And rode his torso to the bottom of the bloody falls.
TT: Reports of what happened to our ancestors after that are sketchy.
TT: There were no eye witness accounts I've found, but some believe they regrouped and confronted the Condesce herself.
TT: With all her high ranking officers dead, and the human population decimated and sufficiently groomed for her arrival, there was no reason to stay behind the scenes anymore.
TT: After those dreadful years of putting up with a more vulgar brand of authoritarianism, when she finally stepped forward to claim her throne, it actually came off as somewhat dignified. Elegant, in a way.
TT: She was no less severe, but at least she knew how to act like an empress.
TT: But even if they did manage to confront her, there was no way they could win. She had too many crazy alien powers.
TT: Her boss supposedly had jacked her power level through the roof. I even heard, and don't quote me on this, that she may have been over 9000.
GT: Heavens to betsy.
GT: That figure is just absurd.
TT: Yeah.
TT: And that's not even to speak of the generic smorgasbord of other powers she was rumored to have.
TT: It gets hard to separate the fact from the urban myth.
TT: But for reference, if you want to believe it all, just picture all the X-Men combined into one sexy fish woman in a skin tight suit.
GT: Whoa momma.
TT: Whatever actually went down, they're surely both dead now.
~ Dirk Strider and Jake English, Homestuck
[close]

The streets are empty. Wind skims the voids keeping neighbors apart, as if grazing the hollow of a cut reed, or say, a plundered mailbox. A familiar note is produced. It's the one Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune.
It is your thirteenth birthday, and as with all twelve preceding it, something feels missing from your life. The game presently eluding you is only the latest sleight of hand in the repertoire of an unseen riddler, one to engender a sense not of mirth, but of lack. His coarse schemes are those less of a prankster than a common pickpocket. His riddle is Absence itself. It is a mystery dispersing altogether, like the moon's faint reflection, with even one pebble of inquiry dropped in its black well. It is the most diabolical riddle of all.
~ The Narrative, Homestuck

This young troll stands in his respiteblock. It just so happens that today, the 12th bilunar perigee of the 6th dark season's equinox, is the day of this young troll's larval awakening, also known as his wriggling day. Though it was six solar sweeps ago he was given life, it is only today he will be given a name!
Six Alternian solar sweeps, for convenient reference, is equivalent to thirteen Earth years.
Earth, also for convenient reference, is a planet that does not yet exist.
~ The Narrative, Homestuck

Hickory

"I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee."
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.