"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Saddest moments

Started by Søren, November 13, 2014, 05:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 04, 2018, 11:09:58 PM
Pearls of Lutra spoiler
When Piknim died in St. Ninian's. Not only was it a pretty awful way to go, but all her friends watched her die, and her death was over one of the pearls. It seemed so useless, and it made me angry and sad, actually.
[close]

What chapter is this? I want to reread it. Not remembering the specifics.

The Skarzs

Chapter 37 I think. Don't quote me on that, I don't have the book with me at the moment.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

The Skarzs

Eyy, I was right. If you go back a couple of chapters you get more of it.

Quote from: Delthion on November 05, 2018, 12:13:20 AM
That depressed me for a week actually.
Like I said, it's pretty sad.
But is it bad that that is the sort of thing I want to do to the readers of my own books?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

No, that's good. Means you want to write characters readers care about.

The Grey Coincidence

And then kill them off horribly.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

So yes and no is the correct answer I think. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Grey Coincidence

Well it depends on the genre of a book. A gruesome death befalling a likeable character in a romantic comedy (for example) is a bit out of place (unless it's a dark comedy and obviously it depends on how it's done).
For most genres it's a useful tool to keep readers on the edge of their seats (or rather to keep them relaxed in their seats but make 'em cry).
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Ashleg

The idea of Skarzs writing a romantic comedy made me laugh.

The Skarzs

I can't see me doing that.

I feel that sad moments add some reality to stories. Not everything turns out the way the characters wish it would, but it forces them to move forward despite unfortunate events. This makes them grow, and change, just like real life.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

And I think that that has to do with a different viewpoint on the purpose of books. I usually don't want to read a book to experience real life. I want to read a series/book in which everything turns out well and happily, rather than a more realistic tragic event taking place in the middle of the book. As people experience those kinds of unfortunate events in everyday life quite frequently.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

I suppose that's what makes an escapist fantasy what it is, which is what makes Redwall so enjoyed by people who want to escape reality through the pages.

One question, though. Would you say a realistically tragic event makes a story that otherwise turns out well in the end something you wouldn't enjoy?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Depends. It can ruin the rest of the book for me, in the Pearls of Lutra I remember not enjoying the rest of it nearly as much. But as I said it varies from case to case.

Granitfur

Russa, Cregga, the end of Loamhedge.