News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Recommended books

Started by Cornflower MM, May 08, 2016, 01:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eulaliaaa!

I read the Mazerunner trilogy. I liked the first one, not the others though... I'll look into Warhammer.

Another book worth reading is Fahrenheit 451. I read it a while ago and thought it was pretty interesting.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on May 18, 2016, 10:33:12 PM
Another book worth reading is Fahrenheit 451. I read it a while ago and thought it was pretty interesting.

I tried readin' that not too long ago, it's not the best for light reading. :P I didn't finish it. But it is good.

Eulaliaaa!

There can be times when it gets harder to read than what I'd consider fun, but it's still good. I like Ray Bradbury's interpretation of the future and where society is headed, which is actually pretty terrifying if you think about it :P
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on May 18, 2016, 10:33:12 PM
I read the Mazerunner trilogy. I liked the first one, not the others though... I'll look into Warhammer.

Soul Hunter seems to be a good start. There is a free ebook called the Furnaces of Haelloon which you might want to try reading.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Groddil

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on May 18, 2016, 04:03:50 PM
Quote from: Lord Ashenwyte on May 18, 2016, 03:30:15 PM
Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on May 09, 2016, 04:50:53 AM
(this is coming from the girl who hates romance and is bored by any book that doesn't have large amounts of blood, fire, death, or violence. So my opinion is quite strong and you might actually enjoy it).

You'll enjoy Warhammer books, then. Lots of violence.
And the Maze Runner quadrilogy.  Lots of death, violence, and blood, and only minimal romance.

I believe that Brenda would disagree with that statement. :P

Jukka the Sling

It was still minimal. :P  Also, I called it a trilogy 'cause that's pretty much what it is.  I haven't read the prequel, and I'm probably not going to for several reasons (including the fact that I already read up on the plot).  I'm pretty excited about The Fever Code, though.  I've already read the recently-released excerpt, and gahhhhh it just makes me feel for Newt even more.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Gonff the Mousethief

Jukka, don't know if you have seen the movies, but warning, everything is changed from the books.

A good book that is part of a series consisting of two trilogies is Duncton Wood. It is a mix between Redwall and Watership Down, but only about Moles. I am not very far in it, but it has great potential.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on May 20, 2016, 02:25:48 AM
It was still minimal. :P  Also, I called it a trilogy 'cause that's pretty much what it is.  I haven't read the prequel, and I'm probably not going to for several reasons (including the fact that I already read up on the plot).  I'm pretty excited about The Fever Code, though.  I've already read the recently-released excerpt, and gahhhhh it just makes me feel for Newt even more.

THERE ARE SPOILER CODES FOR A REASON PEOPLE. *Points at Jukka* That was a spoiler. What happens to Newt? No, don't tell me.
Also, why bother reading books when you read up on the plot beforehand? Do you like spoilers or something?

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on May 20, 2016, 02:56:24 AM
Jukka, don't know if you have seen the movies, but warning, everything is changed from the books.

A good book that is part of a series consisting of two trilogies is Duncton Wood. It is a mix between Redwall and Watership Down, but only about Moles. I am not very far in it, but it has great potential.

Speaking of WD. . . Fiver's Honeycomb, yes Gonff?
But ooh, moles. I'll check it out! Who's it by?

Jukka the Sling

@Gonff the Mousethief:  I haven't seen the movies, but I've watched clips, and yeah, they have changed a lot.  Especially in the second movie - no idea what happened there.  It's almost unrecognizable.

@Cornflower MMThe Fever Code is another prequel, so nothing truly earth-shattering happened in the excerpt, except feels. :P  Um, sorry?  I don't think that's really a spoiler.  And the only reason I read up on the plot of The Kill Order was 'cause I figured I wasn't gonna be able to read it anyway (complicated story there), so I just read the synopsis to find out anything I needed to know that applied to the series as a whole.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cornflower MM

Yes it is because you just implied something bad happens to Newt!

Mmm, I see.

Rusvul

There's a certain point at which a spoiler becomes vague enough to no longer qualify. Not sure if that bit is there yet, I think it's rather subjective.

I can second Fahrenheit 451, it's a very good book. The Foundation series by Asimov is also neat, and while I've only read a little of I, Robot, that seems like a good book too.

Here's the part where I reference something obscure and nobody knows what I'm talking about: has anyone read the Goblin Wood? It's a sort of low-fantasy novel centering around a hedge-witch who lives outside of society and the dishonored knight sent to surveil/kill her. The story and characters are good, but the world that it takes place in is very well done. It's not like every little detail is written out, but the broad strokes you get are fascinating. It also portrays magic in an interesting way. Apparently it has sequels. I want to read the sequels. :P

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Rusvul on May 22, 2016, 06:53:58 AM
Apparently it has sequels. I want to read the sequels. :P

The words of every book nerd ever. :P Who's it by?

Maudie

I highly recommend Airman by Eoin Colfer. Fantastic book. Swashbuckling, Count-of-Monte-Cristo-esque, very engaging story line.

Also, The Reckoners Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. And pretty much anything else by Brandon Sanderson, although I didn't like Warbreaker as much as his other ones.

The Fablehaven Series by Brandon Mull, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, and The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins (Why are you looking at me like that? Stop looking at me like that. It's a good trilogy...)

I just started Alex Rider, but it looks pretty cool so far.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

DanielofRedwall

Another classic I can totally recommend Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. It's best to go in with an open mind and forget whatever you think you know about the story, they're probably wrong anyway when you actually read the book. It's an amazing novel about the human condition, and it's wonderfully written. One of my all time favourites.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Hickory

Quote from: Aimless Gallivanter on May 08, 2016, 02:12:09 AM
No spoilers please Im still reading that series!!!

I'd say:
Brandon Sanderson Check
Maggie Stiefvater
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (not YA) Check
The Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfield is a steampunk alternate history Check
Brandon Sanderson Check
and also Brandon Sanderson And check

WE LITERALLY READ THE SAME BOOKS.
On another note.

Boxcar Children
Hardy Boys
Nancy Drew

However, Animal Farm by George Orwell is another great classic.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.