News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

From one goodbeast to the next, I challenge you. (Roleplay duel. Teer vs Seb)

Started by shisteer of nothing much, August 06, 2020, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The duel is about to begin! It is up to the spectators to decide who wins. (No need to rush your vote. Some reasoning as to why you think a certain character should win would be helpful)

Benlan Axeblood! (Enthusiasm optional)
1 (50%)
Nitsyok Sagnarb! (Exclamation mark included)
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

shisteer of nothing much

The poll has been moved here, so as to accommodate for the other duels. The old results:
OOC thread: http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=11743.0

The sun shone down relentlessly on the working beasts as they scurried about under the ever watchful eye of an officious looking vole, who held a clipboard and wore a rather large top hat, most likely intended to disguise his otherwise diminutive height. Squinting through his spectacles, the beast shook his head at a couple of rake armed weasels, gesturing enthusiastically with his paws.
  "Not yet, you dolts! It'll just get messed up again! The raking needs to happen last! I've told you that before! Go get the sunshade set up."
  The chastised mustelids hurried back into the storage rooms to do as they'd been told, leaving the manager to survey the other work that was going around.
  "How many tickets have we sold, Velery?"
  A tall mousemaid looked up from her work briefly.
  "Most of them. The team are still out selling the last of them but they should be back soon. Don't worry about it, though. I'll have everything sorted with time to spare. You concentrate on the other stuff."
  The vole turned away, muttering a few phrases under his breath before returning to yelling instructions at an assorted group of ferrets, mice and rats.
  "Oi, you lot, put the quite and the yellow reserved seat tags on different sides. We don't want the observers fighting among themselves! I know we usually alternate but this is a touchy case. One group will sit one side of the arena, the other group opposite. Move it! Hurry up with that canvas! Move that banner over! Put the proper sponsorship signs up!"
  The activity continued as beasts scurried about to do different jobs, taking down signs, putting new ones up, scrubbing stair rails, cleaning seats, cutting tickets, moving tables, always with a near constant barrage of orders being yelled from both the vole and leaders of smaller groups set to one particular task.
  Three days until the combat and everything had to ready. This arena would be back in business.

~~Nitsyok~~

"Interesting place, this. Time to make myself at home, I guess."
  Nitsyok put his bag on this single bunk and looked around some more, grinning at his surroundings. It was a fairly simple place, containing a bed, small table and a cupboard. Across the room was another door which, he had been told, had training equipment and a hot spa. It was perfectly adequate for his purpose.
  Crossing the room and opening the cupboard revealed food, both beneficial (fruit, vegetables and other healthy substances) and counterproductive (cakes, scones, bread and the like). Another shelf in the closet had soaps, brushes and various other potions and such, most likely for decorating and making the fighter look his best. Nitsyok smirked as he thought about how much fun his sisters would have with that stuff. He would run a brush through his fur maybe, but the rest of it would go untouched.
  The third shelf was empty and the forth was more of a rack, holding two small kegs. The otter crossed back to his bed and picked up his haversack, stuffing it on the third shelf before closing the cupboard. It was good to know what was available but he didn't need any of it yet.
  There was another shelf under the table holding some scrolls and advertisements. A large pitcher sat on top of the simple wooden structure and, on further observation, was full of water.
  Nitsyok took a swig of the clear liquid, approving it as clean drinking water, then returned it to its place and pushed the second door open.
  The first thing to capture his attention was a large reed mat covering most of the floor. It had interesting patterns and colours interweaving the mostly tan surface and actually looked quite cheerful. The sun shone down on half the space, while the other half had a canvas awning providing shade. The walls were thick and tall, acting slightly imposing but not terribly hideous. Outside the thick wood and stone, noise of the street floated through, with paw steps and chatter coming over the rampart in surprisingly hesitant drifts, possibly due to the heat outside.
  In one corner perched a rack of weights, with a bar in the middle and two heavy bits either side, marked with 5SA, 6SA, all the way up to 20SA. A brief sign above the rack showed that one SA was equivalent to a sack of apples, using the universal code of measurement.
  A small hut made of wood and waxed paper housed the spa while, at the other side of the courtyard sat the outhouse. There was a container of additional mats in different sizes and shapes, as well as a frame type thing with no apparent purpose. Another piece of sun-bleached parchment held a list of things that could be acquired by order, most of which sounded entirely foreign to Nitsyok.
  Shrugging and turning away from the paper, the strong otter selected a couple of weights around 15SA and began training.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Benlan Axeblood let out a sigh as he dropped his bag on the floor just outside of the door.

"Well... I guess this is it." He gave a half hearted grin, turning around to face his brother and mother. "I'm not sure if you're both allowed to stay with me or not."

"That's quite alright. After all, I have the clan to take care of." Benlan's mother Shard was the chieftess of the Axeblood Clan. Ever since her husband had died, her face slowly turned more grim and stoic with each passing season. "I'm sure you'll bring honor to our clan." She nodded her head.

"I'll make you proud."

"Hopefully." Shard grunted. "At the very least you'll hopefully make up for your failures in the past. You've grown stronger since then. Just remember everything I've taught you."

Oh, how could I ever forget? Benlan thought. Aloud, he said, "I'll try my best."

"Good luck, brother!" Young Tod threw himself at Benlan, causing the larger otter to take a step back from the force of the hug. "I'll be cheering for you the loudest!"

"Oof! Thanks, Tod." Benlan smiled, tightly returning his brother's embrace. "Once it's all over, I'll go on a fishing trip with you." Ruffling Tod's headfur, Benlan picked up his bag and rested his paw on the door handle. Shard nodded her head slightly, then turned and walked away, Tod trying to keep up with her crisp pace.

Benlan raised his paw to wave but then dropped it slowly. With a sigh, he opened the door and walked into his room.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

"Eighty-three." Nitsyok huffed, standing upright, then lowering himself down again into a straight-backed crouch, staying there for a few seconds and then standing up again as he began saying the next number.
  A knock on the door inside interrupted his third syllable and he put the weights back on their rack with a tired sigh, wiping a paw across his forehead as he crossed the courtyard, went inside and opened the door, smiling immediately at the beasts waiting outside.
  "Mam! Deena! Come in, come in! I wondered if you were planning to visit me. Can I get you anything to eat or drink?"
  The two female otters entered, Deena giving her brother a tight hug on the way passed. Nitsyok smiled a welcome to the other beast standing in the corridor, reading the ferret's name badge as he held the door open for him, also.
  "Come on in, Fednor. Take a seat and make yourselves comfortable."
  Closing the door behind the beast, the strong otter crossed to the cupboard and selected a few cakes, which he placed on the low table with a grin at his sister.
  "Dig in, please. There's plenty more where they came from and I need somebeast to help me get rid of the temptation to eat them. Would you like a drink? I noticed some kind of fancy cordial in there, as well as an ale. Fednor, Mam?"
  Fednor shook his head gratefully and the matriarch gave her son a disapproving look.
  "I hope you're not eating and drinking this stuff, Syok. You need to be healthy and fit for the coming challenge."
  Nitsyok grinned, shaking his head reassuringly.
  "Nay, I'm not eating the cakes and slices, Mam, I'm fasting."
  The ottermarm rose to her full height at that revelation, proving herself almost half a head taller than Nitsyok as she glared down at the grinning beast.
  "Nitsyok Tabnug Teng Sagnarb, have you let all your upbringing fly off the ship? You need to eat, son! When have I ever taught you the fasting is good? Never!"
  Nitsyok and Deena exchanged a glance and both started laughing, the former laying a placating paw on his mother's shoulder and lowering her back into her seat.
  "I was joking, Mam. I'd never do something so foolish. I'm eating mostly fruit and vegetables, as well as a good bit of hotroot pepper. I found a bag of them at the back of the cupboard and they make for a great snack."
  Metana allowed herself to be seated again, glowering at the joke as her daughter put a paw around her waist, drawing her in for a hug from the side.
  "Come on, Mam, you know Syok wouldn't do something like that. He may not show the most intelligence sometimes but he's not that stupid."
  Before Nitsyok had a chance to reply indignantly, Metana nodded and cut herself a slice of cake.
  "True."
  Nitsyok put on a hurt expression and rose to his footpaws, making his way to the door.
  "Well, if you'll excuse me, ladies, I have some training to do. I' so sorry my hospitality hasn't met your approval. Maybe you should go meet my competition and see if he does any better. I suppose you'll be cheering for the opposite side and hoping the Axebloods win. Traitors."
  There followed a calm closing of the door and a loud splash as Nitsyok disappeared under the water to be offended, leaving Deena and Metana to laugh at his troubles and eat his food.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Benlan walked into his room and sat down in his bed, setting his stuff down. He grabbed his short sword and spear. Though the blades were already razor sharp, he sharpened them. The sound of the stone rubbing steel was comforting and familiar in a way. His mother had taught him to take care of his weapons – his life would depend on them.

Once he was done, Benlan set them off to the side and lay down on his bed, staring up at the ceiling. "I'll make 'em proud," he whispered quietly. He inwardly shook himself as doubts began to plague him. "No. I will– I must do this."

He reached into his bag and pulled out a portrait of a pair of otters. The first, a male, had whiskers that were long and grey, his face covered with scars. Though his expression was mostly stern, the artist apparently couldn't have helped but include a twinkle in the otter's eyes. The female at his side looked happy and content, her teeth pulled into a smile.

Benlan lightly rubbed his paw across the portrait. His parents had looked so happy. But now father was dead, and Shard wasn't the same as she had once been. What would she think if you failed? He wondered. And what about Tod? He thinks you're some hero from the legends!

The young creature coughed, blinking rapidly as he shoved the portrait back into his bag. He stood up and stretched his tense muscles. "You're being ridiculous," he scoffed to himself. "Axeblood otters are strong. I can do this. Nothing to it! Besides, why should I worry what they think? If I lose I'll be dead anyway. I'll have bigger concerns."

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Nitsyok shook himself and went back inside, holding the door open for Deena and grinning at her wet whiskers, Fednor following silently, entirely dry and wanting to stay that way.
  "How long are you staying with me, Deena? You should probably get back to the rest of the family before dinner."
  Deena shook her head, spraying water in all directions as she answered her brother's question.
  "Mam said to meet her in the common room after we've eaten. I'd stay here and keep you company right up until the combat, but mam pointed out that Fednor probably has things he'd rather do, so I'll just come visit you every day."
  Nitsyok smiled at his little sister, glad that she wanted to spend as much time with him as possible before... the combat. His smile faltered as he wondered if he'd ever get to see his family after. Maybe the Axeblood would win and he... would die. The otter shook the thoughts aside, grinning again.
  "Sounds good. You can help me train. Did you bring your sling?"
  Deena shook her head, replacing her concerned frown with a beam.
  "Not today. It's at the lodging. I'll bring it tomorrow and we can get into it seriously."
  Nitsyok thumped the ottermaid's back, eagerness and excitement covering up the ever present doubts and fears.
  "Sounds like a plan. I think there's a meeting tomorrow around noonish, but we can do stuff before and after that. For now, let's have something to eat and we can get you back to Mam. I should be going to bed with the sun and I have to stretch first."
  Fednor produced a menu and gave it to the otters, explaining how to order food or any other service.
  "Circle the item you'd like on the menu, then place it in this canister, then put it in the pipe before pulling the cord."
  Deena did so and watched as the canister disappeared, then a little bell tinkled near the ceiling.
  "Right, your order will be ready shortly. If you need anything else, it works the same way. Simply write a note of what you want."
  Nitsyok nodded, giving the pipe a curious examination, then turning to the cupboard and selecting a couple of wooden bowls.
  "Alright, thanks for telling me. Deena, can you set these on the table?"
  The table was set in little time and the food arrived presently, bringing silence as the three beasts tucked in, adding hotroot and other condiments as desired.
  Outside the sky held flames of pink and gold, enhanced by the dark purple edges of the clouds as the sun gave it's farewell to the day, ensuring that the world would wait eagerly for it's bright return.
  The moon rose in order and shone down on the beasts below as they slowly settled down until all under the starry sky was still but for the fast moving clouds and eventual rain.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

As the morning light filtered into his room, Benlan's eyes creaked open and he looked around his room. A brief look of confusion flashed across his face before he remembered where he was. Hopping out of bed, the otter threw some water over his face to wake himself fully. Humming a tune to himself, he tidied up his gear a bit, then decided to go for a walk.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Right, things were coming along nicely. Awnings were set up, seating was sorted, tickets were being sold, floors and walls had been scrubbed. This morning the inside walls were to be painted, then, later on, a cart of sand would arrive for the arena floor. The supervisor ticked each task off in his head, making sure everything was organised. There was a meeting at noon with the contestants to put the rules down and sign various official documents. Did he have them all ready? Ticking each thing off mentally, the officious vole nodded curtly to himself and swept out to check on the progress with the paint preparation.

~~Nitsyok~~

Sun streamed through the open curtains merrily, dancing on the specs of dust caused by the sudden and violent shake of a thick blanket. The birds outside didn't seem the least bit put off by the activity as the continued singing, heralding the new day. Fluffy white clouds floated in a sea of blue, reminding the beast below of his home as he gazed longingly out the window, catching the twinkle of the small pool catching a burst of sunlight.
  Pawsteps could suddenly be heard coming down the corridor inside and Nitsyok hurried to shake out his blanket and remake his bed. He hadn't slept on it. Lying down for a minute had felt like he was being swallowed up in a dry swamp. Far too soft. What on earth had they packed the matress with. Giving up, the burly warrior had taken a blanket off the bed, folded it and slept on the rush mat covering the ground. Much more comfortable.
  Breakfast had consisted of the leftover shrimp soup, with plenty of hotroot added for extra flavour. It tasted better when the hot plant had been cooked with the soup, but it wasn't bad.
  Now, fully rested and well satisfied, the otter pulled his tunic over his trousers, did up his belt and was ready to collect his sister, who would wait for him in the common room with a staff member.
  Crossing to the door, Nitsyok opened it and strode out, wasting no time in looking for his destination. He'd glanced at the map back in his room and knew exactly what twists and turns were needed for the quickest route, coming to a tidy standstill just inside the door and looking around for his sister.
  A sound on his left alerted him to the presence of another beast and he turned, paw and knife hilt in time for his lightning reflexes to save him from be bowled over completely as a small form hurtled towards him, having taken a flying leap from the reception desk. The otter managed to catch the beast and spun to slow down his momentum, giving the young creature a warm embrace.
  "Y'little rascal! Yer jist about too big te be cummin' at me like that, ty-oof!"
  There was no stopping or saving the three otters as the went down, rolling over each other in their efforts to get up in the midst of the laughter.
  "Ye, Deena, are definitely too big. Ach, broken bones won't help me win, y'know."
  Deena giggled remorselessly, then turned to look at the young one, who was sitting very still, a small cut on his forehead and his brows furrowed, trying to decide what to do. Both older siblings waited with baited breath, hoping the babe wouldn't burst into tears as they tried to conceal their own laughter. His lips began to twitch, then his eyes closed and he roared with laughter, falling forwards with the massiveness of his belly chuckle as his paw drummed the ground in amusement.
  Nitsyok and Deena exchanged a glance, let out a sigh of relief and joined in the infectious sound, smiling broadly. The sound coming out of the tiny otter seemed more like the laugh of a riverhog chief than an otter infant.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Ahhhh. Nothing like a good walk to clear the brain and sharpen a beast's wits, Benlan thought, lightly sliding his paw along the wall as he walked by. Whistling a merry tune, he rounded the bend. His eyes widened as he caught sight of three otters sprawled on the floor. He took a quick step forward. "Are all of you alright?" He stopped abruptly as he recognized Nitsyok.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Nitsyok looked up at the question of concern, instantly recognising his adversary. Scrambling up, the warrior put himself in between the Axeblood and his siblings, paw an dagger hilt as he glared at the beast.
  "What d' ye want?"

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Benlan couldn't help but roll his eyes at the dagger. "Oh, come now. There will be enough of that in the duel." He looked past Nitsyok. "Ah, your kin, I assume?" He smiled slightly at the pair of young beasts.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Nitsyok slowly took his paw away, his dagger still in its sheath. Apparently the other otter wasn't going for aggression. Probably scared he'd lose.
  "Aye, Axeblood, these are my siblings. Touch them and die. I couldn't care less if we have a duel planned, nobeast hurts my family."

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

"I wouldn't harm them," Benlan replied, his fur prickling at the other otter's words. "We aren't savages, you know. The only reason we're here is because of you and your tribe's misguided ideals anyway." Benlan closed his eyes and let out a sigh. Letting a beast's stupidity get under his fur was what started this whole thing. He glanced over at the other creatures. "I apologize. Please, could we save the hostilities for later?"

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Nitsyok growled at the mention of his tribe's apparent failings, spitting out his reply vehemently.
  "Wasn't my tribe that decide to kidnap an ottermaid, Axeblood. We may not be savages, but I hold no fantasies about you."
  Having said his piece and deciding not to bandy words with the animal in front of his siblings, he turned and began herding the youngsters back down the corridor. They didn't need to put up with the scum and he wanted them to have as clean minds as possible. He'd keep a close eye on them amd make sure no more of his kin got abducted by the Axeblood clan, to suffer fate knew what.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Benlan opened his mouth to reply but then stopped. Shaking his head and letting out a helpless sigh, he walked back toward his room.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

The meeting had been... interesting, to say the least. Nitsyok's younger sister, Deena, had insisted the warrior apologise to Benlan for something he'd done or said and watched, forepaws crossed and footpaw tapping until he'd done so. Then they'd all taken a seat and the meeting had begun in an orderly manner, with the two competitors being, if not exactly friendly, civil, though Nitsyok continued to refer to Benlan as 'Axeblood' and there was a distinct sense of loathing every time he said it.
  The documents had been signed in due course and things were just wrapping up when there was a loud wail from down the corridor and a young mousemaid, one of the staff member's children, came running in, her startlingly blue eyes blurred by tears. She was followed by an equally young otter who was calling out reassurances and had a bunch of hastily picked flowers in his paw.
  "You picked dem! Dey was s'posed to be for da winna beask and you woowind dem!"
  "Ik tan gwow back! De fwowers weeow gwow and dey weeow yook so pwetty in you hea!"
  Both young ones had been scooped up and calmed down to the point where they'd managed to explain what had happened. Apparently the mousemaid's mother had given her daughter a flower of her own, but it had died. Then, finding her crying, the gallant gentlebeast of an otter pup had tried to cheer her up by picking a whole bouquet for her, but they had been they flowers she was growing to celebrate the winner of the duel.
  After several minutes spent trying to console the miserable and indignant beasts, Deena had volunteered to take them to the kitchen for a pastie, at which they'd both forgotten flowers and gratitude and gone with her happily, holding paws with each other like best friends.
  Thoroughly disturbed, the meeting finished and beasts got back to work on preparations. The following day things continued to progress. Deena and Tyson took it upon themselves to be Nitsyok's personal trainers, making sure the big otter didn't slack in anything. The mischeavous otterbabe had his older brother running loops around the courtyard, calling time with his "##:1057, twewve eight fwee! ##:1057, nine six fouw! ##:1057 twenty hundwed eweven!" and letting the beast stop only for the occasional "watow bweak".
  Deena wasn't much better. She had Nitsyok battering at a pole with his loaded sling, then practice getting out of various wrestling holds, then put her in various wrestling holds and try to stop her getting out. Finally, after an hour or so of strenuous exercise, she had him duel with her, each armed with slings loaded with tightly wrapped and soaked balls of cloth that, hit with enough force, would release a blue or red dye. This helped them tell when a point had been gained. First beast to ten won the match.
  Several rounds of this game were played, then Tyson decreed that it was lunch time and the rest of the day was spent relaxing for the upcoming battle. The two younger siblings gave Nitsyok massages, fetched him food, shined his armour, sharpened his dagger, worked the sling he'd be using for the combat, did anything and everything that would gave him an extra edge. They didn't doubt their brother would win, but the easier it was for him, the better. Nothing was to be left to chance.

Meanwhile, the arena was being prepared. Tickets were sold, sponsorship signs were painted on the sides, sand was raked smooth, chairs were arranged. Everything was ready by the time the lights were turned off and everybeast went to bed. The duel was to start the next day, four hours after sunrise. Some beasts were nervous, others felt only excitement. Tomorrow, the family feud would be settled once and for all... and one of the tribes would be lacking a young warrior.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!