News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

The Mortal Instruments

Started by Jetthebinturong, June 12, 2014, 10:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dag Downyfur

Oh, thanks, I'll watch that, then! :)
Doctor Who is epic, so is Sherlock. And many other fandoms, but there's not enough room to list them all in my signature!
"I am and always will be the optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams." -Matt Smith

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jetthebinturong

I'm sorry for double posting but I feel like I need to talk about this scene even if no one is listening, minor spoilers follow

Spoilers and homosexual relationship, if the latter bothers you, please don't mention it as it makes me angry

So in the second book of the first trilogy, two characters, Magnus Bane the Warlock and Alec Lightwood the Shadowhunter are revealed to be dating, this may not seem like a big deal given the current state of our society (unless you live in the bible belt) I mean sure, some people are homophobic and people are sometimes discriminated against because of their sexuality but not as much as we (proud bisexual, again keep your opinions to yourself) have been in the past. However for Shadowhunters homosexuality is a big deal and is not exactly forbidden but highly frowned upon, I don't remember the exact quote but it was something like "I'm not saying it doesn't happen but when it does happen it isn't talked about" therefore for the first two books and two thirds of the third book, Alec is very firmly in the closet, that door is very firmly locked and only his sister, his adoptive brother's friend and his boyfriend have the key. Magnus becomes very annoyed with this because it means Alec only wants to be around him when the others need him and at some point between the second and third books he breaks it off with Alec because he's tired of the Shadowhunter treating him like he doesn't exist. Now, it is important to know this backstory to really understand my love of this scene.

Alec begins to feel incredibly guilty and during the battle of Alicante, they get back together however this time Magnus is willing to keep it a secret because he truly loves Alec. Later on when Shadowhunters are partnering up with Downworlders due to something plot centric which I am NOT going to spoil, Magnus avoids partnering up with Alec to keep the Shadowhunter safe, Alec then seeks Magnus out and kisses him in front of the entirety of the Shadowhunter/Downworlder force, I suppose this is supposed to be something like "Love is stronger than fear" but that isn't important for my explanation here. Because of Alec's brazen act of homosexual love displayed to all the most powerful Shadowhunters (including his parents) it encourages many young Shadowhunters to come out to their parents to varying reactions. I just find it heartwarming that someone so insignificant could make such a big difference to their society. This however does NOT mean that the Clave (leaders of Shadowhunters) embraces homosexuality by any means, it's still very much a "this is bad, don't do it" thing but the point is that this simple act encourages so many people to be themselves rather than hiding when the reaction is stuff like

"And you-" He directed his next sneer at Alec. "I think we all know what's wrong with you. They shouldn't let your kind in the Clave. You're disgusting.”

"They're sort of ignoring it, like it might go away if they don't talk about it"

" 'But my father — no, not really. Once he asked me what I thought had turned me gay.' "

“Iz," Alec said tiredly. "It's not like it's one big bad thing. It's a lot of little invisible things. When Magnus and I were traveling, and I'd call from the road, Dad never asked how he was. When I get up to talk in Clave meetings, no one listens, and I don't know if that's because I'm young or if it's because of something else. I saw Mom talking to a friend about her grandchildren and the second I walked into the room they shut up. Irina Cartwright told me it was a pity no one would ever inherit my blue eyes now." He shrugged and looked toward Magnus, who took a hand off the wheel for a moment to place it on Alec's. "It's not like a stab wound you can protect me from. It's a million little paper cuts every day.”

So yeah it is incredibly difficult to come out in Shadowhunter culture yet one eighteen year old boy manages to give people the courage to do it with one kiss and I think that's just brilliant
[close]

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan