News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Forum (DON'T PANIC)

Started by HeadInAnotherGalaxy, October 08, 2013, 10:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

"And while on the subject of towels," ze guide zayz, "A towel," it goez on tae zay, "is about the most massively useful thing an interthreader hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value — you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Cavern Hole; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of the Front Lawns, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of the Fan Works; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river of the Forum Games; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Suggestions And Concerns (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit, Redwall book etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might have accidentally "lost.". What the strag will think is that any man that can hitch the length and breadth of the Forum, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ze guide 'az a zin' or tvo tae zay aboot ze Ferret-Meat Candy Army. "If you are unlucky," it zayz, "tae become entangled into a mess that involves the Ferret-Meat Candy Army, leave immediately. Never mind the service fee for travel, just get out of there. You can travel back in time and pay it later."

"The army," it goez on tae zay, "is a very dreadful and dull lot, and you do not want to be anywhere near them if someone opens a can of Pepsi. Therefore, always remember to come prepared with an onion, a clove of garlic, and an umbrella to deter possible meetings. Now the Death Defying Beavers, on the other paw, are quite nice and might lend you one of their flying bulldozers if ye ask politely."

Many in ze forum are o' ze opinion zat ze Guide 'az been taken over by ze Death Defyin' Beaverz, an' uzually juzt pretend zat nozin' iz vron'. O' courze, ziz iz yer uzual vay zat ze Forum be'avez, zae ziz iz really nozin' nev.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Søren

Make sure to revive old threads!
Make sure to vote in the SFC!
Make sure to wallow in despair if your voted for in the SFC!

I'm retired from the forum

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Søren

Remember: It's never Faiy or Skarzs fault if you value your lives.

I'm retired from the forum