News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Christmas as a Religious Celebration.

Started by The Mask, June 12, 2014, 08:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone celebrate Christmas?

Yes! Only Christians should be allowed to celebrate Christmas
0 (0%)
No! Anyone can celebrate Christmas
15 (88.2%)
Kinda! Anyone can celebrate it but only Christians can call it Christians
2 (11.8%)
No! Only _________ can celebrate Christmas
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Cornflower MM

Anyone should be able to celebrate it! Take me and my family: I've never put a toe into a church, and my family celebrates! It's more of a family thing...... We give eacvh other gifts (My favourtite part's watching the faces of the people I gave stuff to. Especially if they like/love it!) we ALL get together, and have fun.

And look what we've turned it into......

Dag Downyfur

Quote from: Faiyloe on June 12, 2014, 07:01:22 PM
I am a Christian and I think that any one should be able to celebrate Christmas religiously or not (Though religiously is preferred).  Though I do feel sorry for though's who don't truly understand the really reason for Christmas. Personally I think they are missing out on something wonderful and amazing. And no it is not just because I am religious but because I have experienced it and lived it and if you take the religion out of Christmas it losses something.

No offence to anyone of course.

Quote from: The Skarzs on June 15, 2014, 03:19:08 AM
This feast is really both religious and secular. The name quite literally means "Christ Mass", and is the commemoration of the birth of Christ. The date is not completely accurate, but is probably within 7-10 days of the actual event; this commemoration makes it religious. At the same time, the term "Christmas" in the secular world is always referring to trees, presents, and joy. The joy and presents are in origin a reminder of the gift God gave us: Christ. (The traditional Christmas tree and wreath are- I believe- German in origin)

Quote from: Rainshadow on June 14, 2014, 11:48:01 PMI still celebrate Christmas as the birth of the Messiah, but I can understand that some may not want to recognize that, and it's totally fine if they just set that day aside for gathering the family together, having a great meal, opening presents, etc.  So, in my eyes, it doesn't matter who celebrates it.  The day may just have a different meaning in others' minds than in my own, and that's alright.

I think that rather than restating anything that's already been said, I'll just quote these, because I agree with them. :)
Doctor Who is epic, so is Sherlock. And many other fandoms, but there's not enough room to list them all in my signature!
"I am and always will be the optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams." -Matt Smith

Firehawke

Quote from: Faiyloe on June 12, 2014, 07:01:22 PM
I am a Christian and I think that any one should be able to celebrate Christmas religiously or not (Though religiously is preferred).  Though I do feel sorry for though's who don't truly understand the really reason for Christmas. Personally I think they are missing out on something wonderful and amazing. And no it is not just because I am religious but because I have experienced it and lived it and if you take the religion out of Christmas it losses something.

No offence to anyone of course.

I agree!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!