News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Quiz Bowl

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, January 11, 2014, 12:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

Revive!

Quiz Bowl is back at my school! We have our first Tournament tomorrow, so wish us luck!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Wot, wot!

Good luck, Gonff! I'm sure you all will do awesome  :D
"Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."

Gonff the Mousethief

Thank you for the support Wot!
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

Wot, wot!

Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."

Gonff the Mousethief

Well, we won first! Took us more than 12 hours, but we pulled it off!!
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

Wot, wot!

Wow!! That's awesome! Congrats!!!  :D

Gonff the Mousethief

I've been meaning to update this. Well, we got first in district, and first at state, so now we are moving on to Nationals which will be held in Chicago! Can't wait!
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

Skyblade

Soo late, but...that's super cool, Gonff! ;D And certainly impressive. Work hard - you'll be epic as usual.

Quote from: Dawnwing on January 24, 2014, 03:09:21 PM
Good luck, Gonff! :)

Quote from: Skyblade on January 23, 2014, 09:50:01 PM
What's quiz bowl?  ??? I'm guessing from these posts that it's a challenge in which you answer a bunch of random questions, maybe in a time limit, but I don't know exactly.
Yeah, pretty much.  Two teams of students are read a question (can be anything - history, science, current events, drama/musicals, spelling, literature, random trivia, etc), and they press a buzzer to get a chance to answer the question and earn points.

The rules probably vary by region, but in mine here's how it works.  There's two teams with 4 playing at a time.  The question is read, and whoever buzzes in gets the chance to answer.  If they get it right, they earn 12 points and get 2-4 bonus questions for a total of up to 12 more points (and the entire team can work together on those but the captain has to be the one to say the answer).  The match is 20 minutes long if I remember correctly.  If someone buzzes in before the question is finished being read, they stop reading at that point and cannot repeat it or finish and the person has to just answer.  If they get it wrong after buzzing in early, the team will get double points if they get it right.

Ohh! Thank you. I've done competitions like this before, then, just centered around different categories.

I did one recently in which we read a list of books beforehand and then answered trivia about them. And I'm going to state for one about technology!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Gonff the Mousethief

Wow Madam Blade! That sounds exciting! Excel and win!
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.