News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Overlord's Orders XVI

Started by Mhera, July 06, 2015, 06:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vilu Daskar

Izeroth better kill James just for assuming he'll beat me.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Skyblade

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 28, 2015, 01:53:39 PM
Quote from: Skyblade on October 28, 2015, 03:59:22 AM
I apologize for my mistakes throughout this game.
Stop.

You're the most successful player that's never actually hosted a game, and as far as I know nobody else has ever made the final phase three consecutive times.

This is the way records are made. If you join the next one and do your best, and if I get around to actually playing through an entire round, I think there's a good chance we'll meet in the last stage.

Thank you. I guess it's hard for me to think of winning second three times in a row as a good thing. As an achievement. Maybe it is.

Perhaps we will. I shudder to think of facing against you and the old and new challengers alike I have heard of. But I'll do my best.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

James Gryphon

Quote from: Skyblade on October 29, 2015, 03:45:51 AM
Thank you. I guess it's hard for me to think of winning second three times in a row as a good thing. As an achievement. Maybe it is.
I guarantee you that it is. My goal when I started playing after I hosted XI wasn't to win Overlord every time, but to place top two each time (I didn't, mostly because I kept going inactive in the middle of the game).

That's because, at the time, the final phase had always been a tossup. There are at least two of them where the winner was decided essentially by rolling a die. Back in the "ask a question" days, it was about the same. The Overlord decided on a whim who they wanted to win, factoring in such things as whether they were "due" or not. The last few rounds have had more serious challenges than that, but even so, there's always going to be an element of Overlord's whim in there. The factors I preferred in my judgment this time were probably not shared by some of the other people who've OLed in the past.

That's a factor influenced by chance. But making it that far three times in a row is not an accident. I don't know for sure whether I'll be in the next final round (I know I have the talent, but I also have a tendency of not writing enough to save my hide). However, if you do your best, I have every reason to expect to see you there. I can take it to the bank and cash it.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

Thank you, James :) You're going to be a tough opponent.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!