News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The more random than that other thread thread

Started by James Gryphon, October 09, 2017, 04:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

Idk anything about computers, but I know my brother has revived several of our dead ones with some strain of Linux wizardry...
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Zave yer money, buy an Axe, put it trough ze ztupid device...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Maudie on November 22, 2018, 02:17:39 AM
Idk anything about computers, but I know my brother has revived several of our dead ones with some strain of Linux wizardry...
Awesome.

I found a tutorial for putting Ubuntu on the exact laptop I have (an Ideapad 100s), so I'm more hopeful now.  The Ubuntu download was going to take like 20 hours, though, so I can't do it right now. :P
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Chipster of Noonvale

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on November 22, 2018, 05:27:55 AM
The Ubuntu download was going to take like 20 hours, though, so I can't do it right now. :P
Your internet connection is really slow...
You might perhaps want to try a lighter version such as Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate, the file size should be smaller and therefore the download faster.
Hopefully you can pull this off; from what I've heard Lenovo computers' UEFI firmwares stink, especially since yours doesn't seem to have legacy boot support.
Also, if you still have some important files stored on that computer, you should be able recover them through the live CD, unless the partition has since been reformatted.
Feel free to PM me if you need help with this, I've had some experience with Linux.

Jukka the Sling

Thank you!

Unfortunately, the laptop is so tiny and thin it doesn't even have a disc drive. It's the 11iby model.  (Amber and I each got identical ones on Black Friday of 2015.  Hers is kinda falling apart physically now, but at least it still functions. :P)

The laptop uses UEFI, btw.  Legacy isn't actually necessary, I don't think?  Some websites were mentioning changing the boot to legacy, but maybe they were confused. :P  Or maybe I am...

I'll have to see if one of those other versions will work.  I was trying Ubuntu because of this tutorial - I'm such a noob that I wanted to follow it exactly to make sure I got everything right.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Matthias720

Keep us updated, Jukka. If you have any questions, just ask.

Chipster of Noonvale

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on November 22, 2018, 03:48:59 PM
Unfortunately, the laptop is so tiny and thin it doesn't even have a disc drive.
This seems to be an annoying tendency with newer computers, to reduce the number of components and plugs.  You'll have to boot from a USB flash drive instead (which is what I assume you're trying to do).  The live Ubuntu USB could possibly help recover the files.

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on November 22, 2018, 03:48:59 PM
The laptop uses UEFI, btw.  Legacy isn't actually necessary, I don't think?  Some websites were mentioning changing the boot to legacy, but maybe they were confused. :P  Or maybe I am...
If you're going to be reinstalling the operating system and wiping the hard disk, it shouldn't matter whether you use UEFI or Legacy.

The tutorial overall seems like a good way to install the system.  Just one thing though: you'll probably want to use Ubuntu 18.04 instead of 17.10.  17.10 is no longer supported, while 18.04 is a LTS release that is still supported for years to come.  The two versions should behave pretty much the same way when following the rest of the tutorial.

Cornflower MM

Chipster of Noonvale

Back in the early 2000s, my father had a computer that lasted only one year.  He was quite annoyed at having to buy a new one so soon :-\
I've had my current one for eight years.  The CD-rom drive is broken, and the speakers are on-and-off, but other than that it still works great and is very fast.

Jukka the Sling

Mine actually only lasted like seven months.  I think it might've been shut down wrongly/while updating, which caused its boot problems.

Anyway, I bought a gaming laptop today!  We're about to go pick it up.

Cornflower MM

That makes me cringe, honestly. *Shudders* If I bought a computer that only lasted a year I would die on the inside.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.