Lock This Topic Too! (By Next New Year's Day!!!)

Started by HeadInAnotherGalaxy, October 31, 2019, 07:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Booklover

Strange how so many people on here would get that reference but I doubt any of my real life friends would.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

shisteer of nothing much

Not really. This place seems to attract book loving nerds.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Probably helps that you, Lass and Ebby are likely to read a lot of the same books, and you got into Redwall because of Seb, and got him to read RA (unless it was the other way round, I'm not entirely sure).

shisteer of nothing much

Yeah, that's basically what happened. Before Seb messaged me, Redwall was on my list of books I'd like to read but will probably never get 'round to it. He had read the first RA book.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

It would have been interesting to see what RA would have been like if Flanagan followed the "canon" of the first book.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Booklover

Verdauga

Yep. If I remember correctly, The Ruins Of Gorlan world was pretty at home with magic and monsters, while The Outpost of Zimonja (maybe? Whichever one intro'd  Malcolm) eluded to superstition rather than magic.

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Booklover

You mean Sorcerer in the North, I'm guessing. There's Emperor of Nihon-Ja, but that's book 10.

Actually, there is the Barrow-Wight thingy in Halt's Peril. But after the first book or two, that's the closest to fantasy that it gets.

Verdauga

And the barrow wights were pretty much excluded to superstition.

Kade Rivok

Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Sebias of Redwall

I do have mixed feelings on the lack of fantasy elements in RA.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Quote from: Verdauga on June 11, 2020, 04:17:46 PM
And the barrow wights were pretty much excluded to superstition.
Not quite. Unless it was just a random dream that Will had, it was real.

Sebias of Redwall

I feel like I remember that... What part was it in again? I almost think it could've been a dream. JF probably wanted it so that the readers could take it any way they wanted.

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Halt's Peril.
For said book
When Will's going to get Malcolm, if I remember correctly.
[close]

Sebias of Redwall

Hmm... Right, right. I do remember it. Thanks.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!