Annoying Parts in Redwall

Started by Tiria Wildlough, February 05, 2012, 04:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on June 13, 2012, 07:02:08 AM
This is about annoying parts, not sad parts, guys. For me, the only annoying part about Rose dying was that fans are GUARANTEED to moan about it. ;D

ha. ha. ha. (sarcastic voice) Isn't it annoying when the one of the best characters in a series dies?.... (Or DID she?  :o)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tiria Wildlough

Of course she did. You would, too, if someone three times your size flung you at a wall and you hit your head.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Dannflower Reguba

I still don't believe it, you could blast this in my face for a century, and still I wouldn't believe it.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tiria Wildlough

Then you're even more stubborn than me. AND THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING.
I'm not a hipster.

Dannflower Reguba

Sorry, last "off-topic post"
lol, I'm not usually this stubborn... But I just can't comprehend Rose dieing, it's not.... ethical....  :D Yeah, I know, strange word usage. But what is the point of giving Martin the Warrior somebeast so special, so wired to be with him, then throw her away like a used dishrag (go figure). I just don't see that happening.

Tiria Wildlough

She didn't appear in Mossflower, so Brian Jacques had no choice other than make her die. Besides, it kind of explains Martin's personality, AND it's nice and dramatic.
Rose died. End of story.
I'm not a hipster.

W0NWILL

If she lived, Martin would've never went to Mossflower. End of discussion.

It's annoying when people moan about Rose dying, I also didn't like how it got the creation wrong in some books, in some books it says that Martin teamed up with the creatures of Redwall to drive out Tsamina and co. Redwall didn't exist!

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: W0NWILL on July 11, 2012, 03:50:51 AM
It's annoying when people moan about Rose dying,
FINALLY, someone who agrees with me! Anyway, back on topic.
I'm not a hipster.

Romsca

Weirdly enough, I found Romsca's "pirate accent" annoying. It was SO FAKE! It's really too bad I can barely stand to read about my favorite character because I find myself cringing every time she talks. I also found her "corsair challenge" STUPID. I mean, really? She had nothing better to do than sing a really stupid song about herself? And I also don't like the way she just accepts that she's dying. Martin the Warrior FOUGHT to LIVE. Romsca just pretty much said "I'm dying. Whatevs, I don't care." Don't get me wrong, she is still my favorite character, it's just hard not to notice her conspicuous flaws

Shadowed One

Quote from: W0NWILL on July 11, 2012, 03:50:51 AM
If she lived, Martin would've never went to Mossflower. End of discussion.

It's annoying when people moan about Rose dying, I also didn't like how it got the creation wrong in some books, in some books it says that Martin teamed up with the creatures of Redwall to drive out Tsamina and co. Redwall didn't exist!

That was in the first book, and Brian didn't have the whole backstory made up yet.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

rachel25

QuoteAnd how come it doesn't take much to kill one of the vermin, but Deyna got shot through the chest, he ran across a field carrying a sword and SOMEHOW caught up to a weasel that was running with the speed of sheer panic. How the heck did he even catch Efera, and how did he run like that with an arrow stuck through his chest and carrying the weight of a heavy sword?! I know he was the Taggerung and all, but they shouldn't have made him seem so darned invincible
Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on February 06, 2012, 02:06:08 PM
Aye, the Tagg was annoying. >:(
I don't agree with either of you  >:( Denya had the strength of revenge and grief on his side. and martins sword wouldn't be to heavy for a otter  >:( 

Romsca

Big broadswords in real life are only five to ten pounds

Duxwing

Quote from: Nightfire on February 06, 2012, 02:07:33 PM
Yep. And then there's the part with Felldoh. I mean, even if he was berserk, how did he take down that many vermin? And it always bugged me how Badrang was such a coward who kill Felldoh through treachery.

If you're talking about his early kills, then note that he he didn't fight Badrang's vermin.  He hunted them: A few rats after breakfast, a stoat or two before lunch, maybe a fox at dinnertime, every day for weeks.  Felldoh's figurative mountain of corpses isn't really that surprising; what surprises me as I look back on the story now, however, is that Martin didn't just let Felldoh keep up the good work--or even offer him some helpers--to thin Marshank's ranks before the main assault.  Sniper fire, even if it only kills a few, devastates morale and terrorizes the enemy.

Really, why didn't Martin didn't just order his air assets to drop boulders on enemy concentrations in Marshank and then breach the wall in the same way?  Not only could he have avoided a great deal of trouble and killed many foebeasts in so doing, but the shock and awe of an entire wall crashing down in the middle of the night followed by hundreds of screaming woodlanders (each bearing two torches before the assault to inspire a sense of dread) could have routed Badrang's forces into a corner, where wiping them out would have been a trivial matter of boxing them in and dropping more boulders.

Expected Woodlander Casualties: 10-20.  Potentially some air assets lost to ack-ack.
Expected Badrang Casualties: Total annihilation.

Or why not just break down all the walls of Marshank at leisure and storm in after the dust settles?  Or even simply hold Badrang hostage with air superiority, demand the release of the slaves, and then kill him anyway with a massive aerial bombardment (followed by a shock troop raid) or surprise attack?

-Duxwing

CrazyPug37

Quote from: rachel25 on May 28, 2013, 03:27:29 PM
QuoteAnd how come it doesn't take much to kill one of the vermin, but Deyna got shot through the chest, he ran across a field carrying a sword and SOMEHOW caught up to a weasel that was running with the speed of sheer panic. How the heck did he even catch Efera, and how did he run like that with an arrow stuck through his chest and carrying the weight of a heavy sword?! I know he was the Taggerung and all, but they shouldn't have made him seem so darned invincible
Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on February 06, 2012, 02:06:08 PM
Aye, the Tagg was annoying. >:(
I don't agree with either of you  >:( Denya had the strength of revenge and grief on his side. and martins sword wouldn't be to heavy for a otter  >:( 
Tagg wasn't really annoying, but I really do find it hard to believe that he could run at full strength while there was an arrow in his heart.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Romsca

I also found it annoying that Martin III was the ONLY character who avoided Ublaz's stare. I found that to be Mary-Sueing. If his hypnotization was a SPELL, which it seemed to be, it should have affected everyone, Martin included