News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Saddest moment

Started by Log a Log Grenn, June 12, 2011, 11:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Log-a-Log

Rose's death is so sad because throughout the entire story she and Martin are having such a good time and in one moment it is gone. I really was crushed at the end of that book
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Okamikee

I honestly started tearing up when Russa Nodrey died.
"When a man is faced with his own death, he finds the impossible less of a barrier."

martins#1fan

LateRose dying HAS TO BE the saddest moment, IT"S GOTTTA' BE!!!!
SHE PRETTY MUCH DIED FOR MARTIN! You've gotta' cry when she dies. I do and that's coming from a guy!
REALLY SAD!!!!!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(. Rose, besides Martin and Luke is my favorite character.
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Okamikee on July 21, 2011, 08:35:04 AM
I honestly started tearing up when Russa Nodrey died.

:'(  I thought she was going to be in the entire book and I was so sad when she died.  Still i saw it as a fitting end for an old squirrel warrior and Tammo did take revenge in the end so I didn't cry.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Tiria Wildlough

**BELLMAKER SPOILER. PLEASE DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THE BELLMAKER. THANKYOU.**

Mellus dying in the Bellmaker. That was like a punch in the stomach. I was despondent the rest of the book. She didn't deserve to be stabbed in the heart.  :'( :'( :'( :'(
That was the saddest part of all Redwall for me, because I had tears in my eyes, and none of the other sad bits did that.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Osu

Yes, she got me, too, Tiria. :'( In fact... I can't think of a single badger death that didn't have me depressed for a while in some manner or other. They always seem to be the most epic or sad - must come with being a badger. ;D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

daskar666

Well I couldn't help but mentally cheer for Raga Bol when Lonna was nearly fatally injured.
Those invincible badgers do get on my nerves quite a bit...

James Gryphon

Rereading Mattimeo right now, and I have to say that the part where Warbeak dies is a real heartbreaker.
« Subject to editing »

Folgrimeo

Redwall's been the only book series to make me physically cry, and there's definitely been plenty of those. I counted about 25 instances. Guess animal deaths just really get to me. If a person dies in a book, pff, nothing. If it's a mouse, waterworks. Here's my top four:

1. "The Long Patrol": Russa Nodrey's death. She was my favorite squirrel and a big part of what made the book work for me. She was so calm in her last moments too.

2. "The Bellmaker": Blaggut crying, getting beaten up by Slipp, then standing before the residents of the Abbey and asking for death. He's an enjoyable character who got caught up in the wrong crowd and felt he had no choice but to die. For a moment I wasn't sure what judgment the Abbey was going to give, and I wished the best for him. Of course, he lives.

3. "Salamandastron": Brother Hal suddenly dying, the resulting commotion, then Thura in pain from catching the fever and Dingeye cruelly leaving him on the ground to die. On occasion vermin deaths can hit me as hard - if not harder - than goodbeast deaths.

4. "Martin the Warrior": Martin catatonic after the death of Rose, and imagining him walking away alone. I didn't cry here, but I cried on the inside and wanted to give him a hug, anything to help relieve the suffering.

Some of the deaths in "The Rogue Crew" can also qualify.

Tiria Wildlough

None of the Redwall deaths made me physically cry, but almost all of them made me cry inside. I was sooooo sad about Cregga. WHY did she have to die. WHAAAAHAHAHAAAAA!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I wanna know WHY!!!! *SNIFF*
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

DanielofRedwall

Although it wasn't too bad when I read it again, at the time *SPOILER* Methusalah's death in Redwall was pretty bad. Because Redwall was the first one I read, it was the first good guy death I read, so it was kinda hard.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Log-a-Log

Yeah, it was bad that Methuselah never got to see Matthias with the  sword after they kept trying to solve the riddles
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Birch

None of the deaths have ever made me physically cry, although I was crying on the inside. Rose's death was one. And ROMSCA. Aww, that one. Her death really got to me.

What was really sad to me was in The Legend Of Luke. Every time Luke said that they would get their revenge on Vilu Daskar and then go home and he would see Martin again and watch him grow up, become a warrior, and all of that... That really got me because of course I knew that no such thing would happen, that he would never see Martin again and Martin would be a slave, and then Rose, and then..

Pretty much Luke and Martin's whole lives, huh?

daskar666

Luke's life specifically. He ended up happy in the end.
Also Urthstripe anyone?
His parents got killed, he got separated from his family at birth, his stepdaughter ran away (and was perceived by him as disliking of him) and he died just as he was about to be reunited with his family.
IMO that sort of completely destroys Rose's death in terms of sadness.

Log-a-Log

All of the young hares in the Long Patrol that die are sad because they were so young and spirited