News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Redwall 3D Game/Levels

Started by s_purs, February 25, 2012, 10:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s_purs

Well another season has passed and I haven't done anything towards my redwall scenes. I will do them eventually but at the moment I am really lacking motivation to do any work when I have been making games all day for my job, I don't feel like doing work when I get home =(

I will force myself to gt back into the routine of doing work sometime soon, and I am reading the final 3 redwall books that I have yet to read so hopefully that will inspire my creativity again.

Sorry, but at least the game I'm making for my job will be really good as it is coming along well =)

Ben

s_purs

Well this is another post from me promising to start working on some 3D environments from Redwall, but this time I finally mean it!

Tomorrow I am going to sit down and start working on some stuff properly, and I WILL spend 15-20hours a week on it until at least one area is finished! (partly because I might need to look for a new job soon so I will need updated work for that!)

The first area I am going to make is either Cavern Hole or Brockhall.

Brockhall is probably more interesting to me- even though its not in Redwall itself- as its build in/under a tree so I could do some nice roots and stuff coming through the walls, but I don't remember any description of this at all. I'm assuming the best descriptions would be from Mossflower, does anybody remember the descriptions from it/could take a picture of the description pages/write it out for me please? I managed to read the first 5 chapters online in a preview of the Kindle book but that didn't have any descriptions other than Bella was sitting in an armchair by the fire- does it have a more detailed description later on?

Also are there any descriptions of Brockhall itself in Triss or just of the adders in it?

If there are any real descriptions of Brockhall then I can just make something up from the small bits of information there is and from the picture I have in my head generally of Redwall, but I don't want to start doing that and then someone tells e of a really detailed description from one of the books.

Thanks

Shadowed One

Finally! About Brockhall, other then it was very large and the roots were used as supports, I don't remember descriptions of it.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

s_purs

Yeah sorry for being slow and not doing what I promised but this time I will make some of the areas (at a minimum). Also when I have made one area it's much easier and quicker to make the rest as you can reuse stuff and you know the style.

If there aren't many other descriptions of it then that's good as I can be really creative and just make something that fits within the redial style without worrying about getting it 'wrong'.

Anybody else remember any descriptions?

s_purs

Does anybody else remember any descriptions or pictures of it? I remember one picture at the start of the chapter of one book (which I have) but apart from that it doesn't look like there is much information on how Brockhall actually looks?

Thanks

Osu

Brockhall was used as the baddies' lair in TSQ I believe, but I don't recall much about its description apart from earth and stone passages. I think you could get away with a lot of artistic freedom on that one. Actually I think you'll have to. Mossflower, Triss, and TSQ are the only books I can recall just now that mention Brockhall with any detail and it's all really left up to the reader's imagination.

Roots coming in through the ceiling or forming part of the walls sounds like a great idea to me!
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

s_purs

*Spoilers*

Thanks, I literally just got to that bit in Sable Queen and it's described as 'the four topped oak' so I've had to change the model of the tree I've started to make it have four tops! Is it the same tree that is mentioned in Doomwyte then? As the painted ones live in a 4 topped tree, though they never go inside.

Shadowed One

No, the maps show that the trees are in different places.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Faiyloe

I was trying to draw a 3D map of Redwall awhile back so I looked it up and this is the  lay out of Redwall.

There is an apiary which is located  near the northwest corner of the Abbey grounds.

The front gate faces west.

I believe the garden is along the north wall.

The Pond is in the north east corner.

I always got the impression that the berry patches and the orchard were sum what intertwined but that is only my opinion.

The orchards and the berry bushed are on the east side.

Cavern Hole is located beneath Grate Hall and connects with the kitchens and the cellars.

There was a stair case from Grate Hall to the second floor. where the infirmary and the dibbuns dormitory were. On the third floor there was the grownups dormitory then there was a spiraling staircase which led to the attic which opened in to a large main room. there was a another door in that room which led to many smaller rooms and halls you could also get at the loft from the attic.

This site has allot of information on the subject http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Redwall_Abbey

Hope this helps.

I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

s_purs

Thats very helpful, thank you. When i have finished the Brockhall model- which will include a forest area around it- in a couple of months then i will look at working on the abbey. But as i mentioned I can hopefully reuse a lot of the Brockhall work in the abbey so hopefully that will be a bit quicker than if I hadn't stared with Brockhall.

But Brockhall is my focus at the moment so if anybody has any other info on that then that would be amazing =)

Faiyloe

All I know is that there was a fire place in the main dining hall, the kitchen was off the dinning hall and there was a crest over the fireplace and on the front door. There was also a secret passageway from Triss But I don't remember much about it. 

s_purs

Thanks, what is the crest of? Boar The Fighter? Are there any images of this crest?

Faiyloe

"I think it refers to the Brockhall shield - that's the badger family crest. It takes the form of a shield whith the great oak of brockkhall on one half and the stripes of a badger on the other. Beneath is it is a scroll bearing our family motto: To serve at home or afar." ~Bella of Brockhall (Mossflower)

s_purs

redwallercaleb

How do you get permission to make a Redwall game?
- This Dude