News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The Guardians of Ga'Hoole

Started by Dannflower Reguba, March 28, 2012, 03:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which book is your favorite?

The Capture
2 (9.1%)
The Journey
1 (4.5%)
The Rescue
0 (0%)
The Siege
2 (9.1%)
The Shattering
0 (0%)
The Burning
2 (9.1%)
The Hatchling
0 (0%)
The Outcast
0 (0%)
The First Collier
0 (0%)
The Coming of Hoole
0 (0%)
To be a King
0 (0%)
The Golden Tree
0 (0%)
The River of Wind
1 (4.5%)
Exile
0 (0%)
The War of the Ember
0 (0%)
Can't Decide
7 (31.8%)
Haven't read any
6 (27.3%)
Don't like the books
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

DanielofRedwall

Oh, nice poll! I can't decide between the first six, they were so epic. However, I'll have to go with "The Burning". I also loved #2-5 almost just as much.

Has anyone read Lasky's other series "The Wolves of the Beyond"? I own the first book, but haven't read it yet.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Dannflower Reguba

"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Icefire

It would have to be one of the first 6 because after that the series just got weird, but I can't decide which of the 6! Thanks for giving me the option of Can't decide! ;D
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Dannflower Reguba

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Dawnwing

I haven't read those in ages!  I remember liking the first six, though.

I actually really enjoyed the movie, perhaps partly because I can't remember the books well.  The CGI and 3D were spectacular.  I got the 3D version on Blu-Ray. :D  I also really like the score.

Dannflower Reguba

The movie is good even if you remember the books.

Icefire

Quote from: danflorreguba on April 02, 2012, 02:56:51 PM
Wrong answer! The movie sucked. ;)

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Icefire on April 02, 2012, 03:58:41 PM
Not at all! It just wasn't accurate about a number of things (yes It definitly messed up alot)

Icefire

Quote from: danflorreguba on April 02, 2012, 04:15:58 PM
Not at all! It just wasn't accurate about a number of things (yes It definitely messed up alot)
A lot? It was like a completely different story! I give it a 3 on the accuracy scale. The only reason I'd watch it again is if I were bored and wanted to mock something. But that's me! I do that all the time when it comes to inaccurate movies.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Icefire on April 02, 2012, 04:19:14 PM
Quote from: danflorreguba on April 02, 2012, 04:15:58 PM
Not at all! It just wasn't accurate about a number of things (yes It definitely messed up alot)
A lot? It was like a completely different story! I give it a 3 on the accuracy scale. The only reason I'd watch it again is if I were bored and wanted to mock something. But that's me! I do that all the time when it comes to inaccurate movies.
Let's see Kludd was still evil, all the same characters with NO name changes (that is not easy to do these days) They fought the same way, the pure one and St. Aggies were both in it (though they were one and the same) A devil's triangle was still used (though not in the same way as in the books) Borron and Barran were still rulers, they still had chaws, the Band was still headstrong, Soren still acted like you would think he would. I could go on for a LONG time.

Icefire

QuoteSoren still acted like you would think he would.
SO not true! Soren wasn't that battle-thirsty! AND that whole thing Otulissa? REALLY?
Twilight was downright painful! Digger? I loved Digger in the books, but they couldn't have chosen a worse way to portray him in the movie.
Kludd was right, but the story around him was wrong which automatically made him wrong.
Gylfie was probably the closest, but, again, the plot changes ruined her, too.

Dannflower Reguba

Soren wasn't battle thirsty in the movie! Twilight was! Yes Digger was definitly messed up as was the whole Otulissa thing (she's supposed to be annoying!) Movies are NEVER done perfectly, and it's all a matter of opinion. Besides, the movie was made for entertaonment, just enjoy it!

White One6193

Okay, the movie was terrible. First of all, they set the story with Australian ( i.e. tasmanian devil and echidna) animals that are NOWHERE mentioned in the books, then they did a bang-up job of crushing the novels together in an almighty trainwreck. the only thing good about the movie was the fact that they got the characters together in a somewhat recognizable fashion.

The books, however, are positively amazing!
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Dannflower Reguba

Hey! The movie was fun to watch right? If it was fun to watch, It accomplished its goal.

Completely agree with you on the part about the books though.

Lutra

People who expect the movie to be like the book, deserve to be disappointed.  There are always changes, and of course not everyone is going to agree with them.

On a couple of character changes--Digger had to change.  He would be very bland had they kept him his philosophical self from the books.  Making him spazzy didn't bother me much...loved the head tilt (and the owls actually do that too--so I liked the authenticity).  Twilight was still boastful, though I think he could've done without the lute, but again, Twilight and Digger were meant to ease the mood otherwise you were destined to watch a Watership Down picture (the original movie).

The movie made the changes it needed to, to be profitable, not an accurate word-for-word adaptation of the book.  I believe the film did make back all of its production costs once you consider worldwide sales of tickets, dvds, blu-rays, and soundtracks.  I'm not sure it was enough to make a sequel using the other books, but the option is there.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra