News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Sharing the Redwall series

Started by The Lady Shael, July 05, 2011, 01:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

Have you ever shared the Redwall series with someone else? A friend or family member?

My little sister was about 7 years old when I discovered Redwall, so a little young to be reading the books on her own. I still wanted to share the stories with her, so each night, I would read them to her. I think I ended up reading through several books to her: Redwall, Mattimeo, Mossflower, Legend of Luke...maybe Pearls of Lutra. She absolutely loved them and within a year she was reading them all herself. She told me recently whenever she remembers her childhood around the house she was always carrying a Redwall book.
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

AbbotPlumble

My brother.  I introduced him to the series shortly after I got into it.  He took to it just as much as I did, it quickly became his number one series.  My brother is disabled and it cheers him up.

Redwall does that you know?  I know this may sound corny, but the writing has something about it that just heals a person when feeling blue or at a loss.

Wot Wot!

My son Rowan is only 3 months old, but I've been reading bits of the Redwall books to him.  Gotta get 'em early!  He seems to like when I do the mole voices...my wife thinks its amusing too...
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

Osu

I tried to introduce the series to my little sister, but she was never really interested. She likes things like Twilight, not one for the woodland animal fantasies. :(

I get points for trying, though, right?
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Tiria Wildlough

I share them with my little sister, who is 6. She loves them! I'm reading Mossflower to her and my mum, and I think that they're both hooked!
I had a half-hearted try at sharing them with my cousin, but he wasn't interested. No one else I know face-to-face is interested, so when I found this forum, I thought, 'I've come home!'
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Wot Wot! on July 05, 2011, 02:42:37 PM
My son Rowan is only 3 months old, but I've been reading bits of the Redwall books to him.  Gotta get 'em early!  He seems to like when I do the mole voices...my wife thinks its amusing too...
Good stuff, raising your children on Redwall!
Received mostly negative reviews.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on July 06, 2011, 02:50:39 AM
I tried to introduce the series to my little sister, but she was never really interested. She likes things like Twilight, not one for the woodland animal fantasies. :(

I get points for trying, though, right?

unfortunately my family isn't that interested in Redwall (sniff) i mean they like decent books such as Harry Potter and some stuff which is rather bloody brilliant, but they aren't for Redwall.  still my parents support me reading and thats good enough for me cause they buy me books including redwall books  ;D

TWILIGHT!!! I CAN"T STAND IT!!! the cheesy lovey dovey shy guy romance between rakkety tam and armel is way better than Edward and Bella.  sry for the sligth spaz, im just anti twilight.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

DanielofRedwall

I tried getting my friend in to Redwall by suggesting he borrowed Mossflower from the school library. He read some of it and liked it, but then he got bored of it. Oh well.

Gonff

I read part of Salamandastron to my two younger brothers. (ages 8 & 10) Unfortunately I could never finish reading it to them because we would always have to bring it back to the library. Now that I have a few of my own books maybe I can read more to them.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Galedeep

I'm on the same side of the coin as Osu and Sabertache on this one. I got my sister to read the first one, but she read 2 chapters and flatly refused to read any more. Oh well, her loss I say.

Captain Tammo

I've introduced it to a couple of people, never read it to anyone though
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Felldoh450

I have a younger cousin, he's only nine so a little young, but he seems to like it!,
Go ye into all the world and  preach the Gospel.

Redwall Musician

I shared it a lot.

1. To a friend who already knew about it, but when I started talking about it, she finally decided to read it.

2. To my friend, who I told to watch the TV series. And then her brother read the books.

3. My little brother, I'm reading it to him.

And I've been watching the TV series with my cousin, and I saw her reading a Redwall book in the bedroom. But when I asked her what she was doing she said nothing. I told her after the 1st chapter she would love it. Also I've almost got another friend to read it. She's been asking me which to read first.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Redwall Musician on July 15, 2011, 04:09:32 PM
Also I've almost got another friend to read it. She's been asking me which to read first.
Tell her to read Redwall first. The series makes more sense that way and she can read it in publication order, something I should of done.

Gonff

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on July 16, 2011, 10:47:25 AM
Quote from: Redwall Musician on July 15, 2011, 04:09:32 PM
Also I've almost got another friend to read it. She's been asking me which to read first.
Tell her to read Redwall first. The series makes more sense that way and she can read it in publication order, something I should of done.

I read it in chronological order which worked well for me as I didn't have to worry when I got the next book if it came before or after the last book I read.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday