News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Star Wars discussion

Started by blindsimeonjtp, October 07, 2012, 03:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

RIP Mara Jade  :'(

TLJ was absolutely terrible in my opinion. TFA was fine; I thought it was a bit derivative, but it was still better than the prequels. TLJ, on the other hand, seems to delight in taking past Star Wars fans hopes, stomping them on the ground, and then gleefully burning them. Kylo Ren even references it. The writing was sloppy, the characterization was even worse, and the blatant disregard to the Star Wars universe was unacceptable.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Jukka the Sling

Oh goodness, don't get me started on TLJ.  At first, on walking out of the theater, my shock and disappointment were mainly about Luke dying.  I couldn't believe it.  Then the rest of the travesty slowly sank in.  But out of all the horribleness, the main thing that persistently kills me is the Holdo manuever.  I could almost forgive everything but that.  It upsets absolutely everything in Star Wars.  Ugh.

On another note, I just deliberately read a spoiler thing about a surprise cameo in Solo and oh my word.  I'm so torn about whether to go see it now.  I'm extremely tempted, even though I don't really want to give money to Disney and make them think they can keep making lame SW movies. :P
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

The whole plot of TLJ just doesn't make sense. You do not need fuel in a vacuum. Once propelled in a direction, you will continue to move at a constant speed until stopped. You do not need fuel.

That's just one of my many problems with TLJ.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

. . . I want to die now.
Yeah. . . You would only need to get to the fastest speed you could go, then shut off the engines.
Not only that, didn't the First Order officer say that the rebel ship was lighter than theirs, and that's why they couldn't catch up? In space, I don't think that would cause an issue. . .
Or maybe I'm just as ignorant on the laws of gravity as the directors and writers of TFA and TLJ are.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

The thing is, Star Wars ships have always required ongoing thrust to get places - at the very least, as far as I can recall, they've never mentioned the real-life fact that a ship would just keep moving forever in a vacuum.  Thus, I'm willing to overlook that part of TLJ.  The entire chase was logistically dumb for many other reasons as well.  Anyway, maybe their space-vacuum is just different from ours. :P

Also: did you guys hear that the Boba Fett movie now has a director?  Not sure how to feel about this.  If they got Temuera Morrison back again and made him look a bit younger with the power of makeup, then it could be good, I guess.  (Some website suggested that The Rock should play him, and I wanted to die.)

I just want the Obi-Wan movie.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

THE ROCK? Are they serious? XD
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Yeah, they were.  I was horrified.

Delthion

Just finished watching Empire Strikes Back.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Lady Amber

Delthion

It was fine. Honestly I don't see what the big deal is with Star Wars. IV and V are decent sci-fi movies, but as great as Star Wars fans say they are.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

1. Cultural significance. They were basically the first of their kind.
2. The archetypal characters. Sure this is also a negative, but the characters are distilled down to the very core of their archetypes (except Leia). The wise mentor, the chosen hero, the lovable rogue, the black knight and the evil wizard. They've also contributed a lot to pop culture. People often say that a rogue is "the Han Solo character" of the story.
3. The worlds and technology. The ships are all iconic now. And the worlds are all brilliantly realised. Okay so maybe I'm just thinking of Bespin. But you gotta admit Cloud City is awesome.

Jetthebinturong

Saw Solo today. I thought it was a pretty good movie, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It had some cringeworthy scenes but overall it was a pretty solid movie.

Gonff the Mousethief

Dadgum Solo was good. It had such a classic Star Wars feel that I want to watch it over and over again. Maybe it was the heavy, heavy emphasis on actual real life props and sets or the expansive adventure all over the galaxy, but man it was good. Highly recommend.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

The Skarzs

I wonder what the whole stink about it is, then? I haven't cared to watch any of the raving videos.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Delthion on May 29, 2018, 12:59:47 AM
It was fine. Honestly I don't see what the big deal is with Star Wars. IV and V are decent sci-fi movies, but as great as Star Wars fans say they are.
I think I've said this before, but anyway:  Honestly, I agree that the original trilogy movies are just okay.  (Although Empire is really good.)  I'm just way into the actual universe, plot, and characters the movies establish.  My favorite Star Wars things are the two TV shows (and Rogue One) since they explore the universe and have good writing.  Heresy, I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Jetthebinturong
@Gonff the Mousethief
Solo spoiler

What did you guys think about the Darth Maul cameo?
[close]