Doctor Who Thread (Rebooted Series or Doctors 9+)

Started by AxeHound, October 15, 2012, 04:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainshadow

Yes, I liked it, but I didn't like the ending.  >:(  Mostly because they left with such a big cliffhanger and now I have to wait until November.

The other reason I don't like it
And also because JOHN HURT IS THE DRAGON FROM MERLIN!!!!  >:(  My joke about the dragon is that John Hurt's voice hurts!  It's not that his voice in particular drives me crazy, it's just that when you think of dragons, (or at least, when I think of dragons) you think of a deep voice.  John Hurt's voice is not deep.  In my opinion, he wasn't a good choice of a dragon.  I don't know about being the Doctor (or not the Doctor, according to 11 ;)), he may do well as the Doctor (or not the Doctor ;)), I just don't overly care for the actor, due to that one role he had.  I dunno.  I'll have to see.
[close]

Rant over.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Firehawke

:P Rants happen!!!  Sometimes the casting choices bug me, too...makes it hard to enjoy sometimes!

Going to watch a lot of classic DW eps this weekend...family just splurged and got a number on DVD (mostly ones to replace ones that we have on VHS)...great way to spend a 3 day weekend!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: Rainshadow on May 23, 2013, 07:27:00 PM
  Yes, I liked it, but I didn't like the ending.  >:(  Mostly because they left with such a big cliffhanger and now I have to wait until November.

Shows often do that at the end of the season ... to try and make sure viewers come back to watch it next season. The really annoying thing is when the show gets cancelled at short notice and there is no next season to end it properly.  :(

Buzz_Bumble

Just announced by the BBC ...

"Spoiler for Xmas Special 2013 and next season"

Matt Smith announces he is to leave Doctor Who
The BBC is today announcing that Matt Smith is to leave Doctor Who after four incredible years on the hit BBC One show. Matt first stepped into the TARDIS in 2010 and will leave the role at the end of this year after starring in the unmissable 50th Anniversary in November and regenerating in the Christmas special. During his time as the Doctor, Matt has reached over 30 million unique UK viewers and his incarnation has seen the show go truly global. He was also the first actor to be nominated for a BAFTA in the role.

Matt quickly won over fans to be voted Best Actor by Readers of Doctor Who Magazine for the 2010 season. He also received a nod for his first series at the National Television Awards, before winning the Most Popular Male Drama Performance award in 2012.

Matt has played one of the biggest roles in TV with over 77 million fans in the UK, USA and Australia alone!

Matt Smith says: "Doctor Who has been the most brilliant experience for me as an actor and a bloke, and that largely is down to the cast, crew and fans of the show. I'm incredibly grateful to all the cast and crew who work tirelessly every day, to realise all the elements of the show and deliver Doctor Who to the audience. Many of them have become good friends and I'm incredibly proud of what we have achieved over the last four years.

Having Steven Moffat as show runner write such varied, funny, mind bending and brilliant scripts has been one of the greatest and most rewarding challenges of my career. It's been a privilege and a treat to work with Steven, he's a good friend and will continue to shape a brilliant world for the Doctor.

The fans of Doctor Who around the world are unlike any other; they dress up, shout louder, know more about the history of the show (and speculate more about the future of the show) in a way that I've never seen before, your dedication is truly remarkable. Thank you so very much for supporting my incarnation of the Time Lord, number Eleven, who I might add is not done yet, I'm back for the 50th anniversary and the Christmas special!

It's been an honour to play this part, to follow the legacy of brilliant actors, and helm the TARDIS for a spell with 'the ginger, the nose and the impossible one'. But when ya gotta go, ya gotta go and Trenzalore calls. Thank you guys. Matt."

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer, says : "Every day, on every episode, in every set of rushes, Matt Smith surprised me: the way he'd turn a line, or spin on his heels, or make something funny, or out of nowhere make me cry, I just never knew what was coming next. The Doctor can be clown and hero, often at the same time, and Matt rose to both challenges magnificently. And even better than that, given the pressures of this extraordinary show, he is one of the nicest and hardest-working people I have ever had the privilege of knowing. Whatever we threw at him - sometimes literally - his behaviour was always worthy of the Doctor.

But great actors always know when it's time for the curtain call, so this Christmas prepare for your hearts to break, as we say goodbye to number Eleven. Thank you Matt - bow ties were never cooler.

Of course, this isn't the end of the story, because now the search begins. Somewhere out there right now - all unknowing, just going about their business - is someone who's about to become the Doctor. A life is going to change, and Doctor Who will be born all over again! After 50 years, that's still so exciting!"

Having starred alongside three different companions, Amy Pond (Karen Gillan), Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill) and most recently Clara Oswald (Jenna Coleman), Matt's Doctor has fought Daleks and Cybermen, as well as Weeping Angels in New York. Regularly heard shouting 'run' and 'Geronimo', through Matt's Doctor fans have been introduced to a new culinary combination - fish fingers and custard!

Matt's spectacular exit is yet to be revealed and will be kept tightly under wraps. He will return to BBC One screens in the unmissable 50th anniversary episode on Saturday 23rd November 2013 - TUNE IN!

We'll have exclusive quotes from Jenna on this site tomorrow and a special video from Matt - coming soon!
[close]

Rainshadow

Oh great, so

Christmas Special 2013 and the next season
I'm gonna have to say goodbye to both Matt AND David in the same episode?!?!  NOT FAIR!  NOT FAIR AT ALL!!  *Shakes fist*  MOFFAT!  ;)
[close]
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Buzz_Bumble

Not quite ...

"Christmas Special 2013 and the next season"
David Tennant and Matt Smith are apparently both in the 50th Anniversary Special, but only Matt Smith is in the Christmas Special.  :)

BUT, it could also be goodbye to Jenna-Louise Coleman (Clara). That could mean the next seson (in late 2014) would be an entirely new cast.
[close]

I still think they missed a good opportunity to do another spin-off show based around the Doctor's clone-daughter.

Coincidentally she was played by David Tennant's girlfriend / fiance, who also happens to be the real-life daughter of previous Doctor Who actor Peter Davison ... meaning on many levels that the Doctor is engaged to marry his own daughter.  :)

Firehawke

I was not happy when I read the news on the site a few minutes ago...but it does keep the show fresh!

Rainshadow

Hey, has anyone seen the trailer for the 50th Anniversary Special yet?

I can't wait to see it!  (And by the way, that last line I so thought he was gonna say "Whatever you do, don't.  Blink."  :P)

Firehawke

Way cool!!!

Has anybody else heard the news about the Daleks being in the anniversary special!?!?!?

Rainshadow

Quote from: Firehawke on July 24, 2013, 07:03:55 PM
Way cool!!!

Has anybody else heard the news about the Daleks being in the anniversary special!?!?!?

Yeah, I saw a mysterious picture about the Daleks, but I don't really know anything about it.  Ugh, only a couple more months!  Only a couple more months!

Firehawke

We just got the first set of Doctors Revisited DVDs, so my family is watching that (amongst other DW DVDs) to get us through this stretch!

Rainshadow

Ah, yeah, I don't own anything Doctor Who related (so sad, I know!), I watch 'em on the internet.  So, of course, because I love watching episodes with two Doctors (I find them quite hilarious), I watched The Stolen Earth and Journey's End yesterday.  And, of course, I cried.  ::)

Rusvul

Soooo... Ahhh... I wouldn't call myself a Whovian, but I'm halfway through episode two, and I think I'm on that road. I bet you anything that Rainshadow and two other Whovians find this inside of 24 hours. I think any post containing the words "Dr. Who" is something like a magnet. :P
"Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life."

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on July 27, 2013, 02:40:34 AM
... I'm halfway through episode two ... "Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life."

Rose isn't in episode two of "Doctor Who", but she is in episode two of the resurrected series. Christopher Ecclestone is the 9th Doctor ... technically he's about the 12th actor to play the role, but  ...
Spoiler
there's some fan speculation that may mean some changes to the order. Some people believe that John Hurt, who was introduced in the season final as "The Doctor" is playing the a previous regeneration of the Doctor, the 9th, slipping in between Paul McGann and Christopher Ecclestone.
[close]
Hopefully not since that would just create a silly mess.  :(

The BBC are apparently trying to organise it so that the 50th Anniversary Special is played worldwide at the same time ...

Quote'Doctor Who' 50th Anniversary to be Simulcast Internationally
In an attempt to avoid Internet spoilers for November's 50th anniversary episode of 'Doctor Who,' the episode will be simultaneously broadcast around the globe in 200 countries.

Somewhat fittingly for a show about a time lord, it looks like Doctor Who fans around the world are going to have to set their alarm clocks to make sure that they catch the series' 50th Anniversary Special this November. The BBC has announced today that the episode will be simulcast around the world to try and cut down on the number of spoilers leaking onto the Internet after its initial U.K. broadcast.

According to a statement released today by BBC Worldwide, the BBC's commercial arm responsible for the sale of Who to broadcasters in 200 countries, "It's always been our ambition to work with our broadcast partners so that international Doctor Who fans can enjoy the 50th Anniversary special at the same time as the UK. We'll have more details soon about our very exciting global plans for November."

The episode -- which will be transmitted in 3D in Britain and accompanied by screenings in movie theaters around the country -- will begin at 7pm on Saturday, November 23 in the United Kingdom, with BBC America's transmission beginning at 11am on the West Coast and 2pm on the East.

That means about 7:00am on Sunday morning here in New Zealand (give or take an hour depending on who may be on silly Daylight Savings Time) ... if the Prime channel is taking part.

Rusvul

Meh. Well, pardon my small knowledge of Doctor Who seasons and stuff. When I say episode two, I mean episode two of the seasons Netflix has, which begins with the ninth doctor. I think.