News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Favourite Quotes

Started by HeadInAnotherGalaxy, July 08, 2011, 01:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

What are your favourite quotes? They can be from books, movies, real life, etc. They can even be one's that you've created. They dinnae have to be from Redwall.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

DanielofRedwall

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." -Brian O'Driscoll.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Icefire

Are you thinking funny quotes or serious quotes?
'Cause if you're thinking funny quotes, I'm going to post quotes like...
"I've got a girl at home who's unlike any other"
"(the only girl who'd love him is his mother)" - Lines from A Girl Worth Fighting For Mulan!

However, if you're thinking serious quotes, I'm going to post quotes like...
Grimwarden: "He who lives for nothing costs the lives of many, but he who lives for something greater than himself preserves those he loves."
- Venom and Song by Wayne Thomas Batson and Christopher Hopper (from the Berinfell Prophecies series...which I would recommend to anyone! :))

Of course, if you're thinking both...
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Tiria Wildlough

My favourite quote from Redwall: Clecky: 'Haaaawm Cleecky, that's me chaps, Haaaaawm Clecky.'
My favourite quote from anywhere is more of a story:
Once Isaac Newton invited a friend over for dinner, but forgot he was coming. He forgot to order dinner for the friend, but also forgot to eat his own, so the friend ate that instead. When Newton saw the empty plates, he said, 'Dear me, I thought I had not dined, but I see I have.'
:D :D :D :D :D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Redwall Musician

"Art is beauty, not the praise it receives."

That is one I like.

..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Icefire

Quote from: Redwall Musician on July 08, 2011, 05:14:28 PM
"Art is beauty, not the praise it receives."

That is one I like.

Ooh, good one!

Osu

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

If at first you don't succeed, hit it with a big stick! This courtesy of my wonderful Temerance.

If you've been try, trying again and it's still not working, take a hint.

If life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in life's eye.

.....I don't know very many dramatic quotes, do I? :D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
-Thomas Paine

All generalizations are false, including this one.
-Mark Twain

My concern today is not with the length of a person's hair but with his conduct.
-Richard M. Nixon

Common sense is not so common.
-Voltaire

A small leak can sink a great ship.
-Benjamin Franklin

The price of greatness is responsibility.
-Winston Churchill

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
-William Shakespeare

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Icefire

Ok...since I've seen both I'm just going to assume both are ok.
Quote from: Osu on July 08, 2011, 05:20:41 PM
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

If at first you don't succeed, hit it with a big stick! This courtesy of my wonderful Temerance.

If you've been try, trying again and it's still not working, take a hint.

If life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in life's eye.

.....I don't know very many dramatic quotes, do I? :D
I like all of the above! :D

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Woodrow Wilson:
"Talk peacefully, walk quietly, and carry a big stick."
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

The time is the present, and as soon as you say that the present will be the past.

Some of my favourites are from Douglas Adam's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

This planet has — or rather had — a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans.

"The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Lily

I love "vanished in a puff of logic".

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on July 09, 2011, 10:49:02 PM
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
The first time I read this I couldn't continue the book because I was laughing so hard. I really should re-read those books...

DanielofRedwall

I love these lyrics, if you can count them as quotes:
The Beatles, A Day in the Life, from Sgt Pepper:

"I read the news today, oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grave
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph."

Man, Sgt Pepper is possibly the greatest album ever... I love these lyrics, not really because they are amazing, but because of how well they are presented in this amazing song.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Osu

On the subject of song lyrics - surely they do count? - I think The Eagles's Hotel California is one huge can of awesome from start to finish. My favorite part:

How they dance in the courtyard,
Sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember,
Some dance to forget.
So I called up the captain,
"Please bring me my wine,"
He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since 1969."
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Nightfire

When death smiles at you, smile back, then punch it in the face.-Jade Stone

Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.-Master Yoda

Books are gateways into amazing worlds. Imagination can make even the impossible sound easy.-Pearl Laurae. (me)

When I am afraid, I will master my fear.-Lorek

And for those who don't know who Jade Stone is, she is an author who's debut book is finished, but needs to be published.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.