Spectacles

Started by Redwaller, December 27, 2012, 02:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwaller

I wonder how they got the spectacles. Same goes for the stained glass windows.

EDIT: changed topic title to make it more obvious what the thread is about. ~Lutra

Romsca

Well people in the medieval days did have stained glass windows but I'm not sure about spectacles...maybe they were just a little more advanced in technology in that area

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Redwaller on December 27, 2012, 02:06:14 PM
I wonder how they got the spectacles. Same goes for the stained glass windows.

They were most likely made from rock.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Captain Tammo

They had them, but they were usually pretty expensive and rare. I bet they passed them down through generations at the abbey
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Redwaller

Well, expensive, I don't think so. Because they didn't have any money. But I mean, how did they make them?

AxeHound

In The Pearls of Lutra, there are windows made of rock crystal.

(please do not send me the pm game messages)

321tumbler

I think they probally had some smart person who figured out refraction.

Redwaller

Yes, but it never talks about something to make them.

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

winifred

I'm pretty sure that it was rock crystal *I remember reading that somewhere either in the books or here* Same goes for the windows, I recently reread the ending from taggerung and abbess mhera was insisting they finish the window and so the cellerhog *who seems to be more like the general handyman the more we talk about stuff like this ;)* finished putting the rock crystal. And yes they're invincible redwallers who can figure anything out so I'm sure glasses wern't a problem :D And I agree about passing things down. Didn't one of the badgers or someone give sombody else abbess song's monocule or something like that?
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Lutra

If I had to fathom a guess on this one (good question by the way!) I would say they were made of glass.  Here's why I say glass and not diamond or crystal.  Diamonds or crystal, especially when you consider around the time of European exploration would be considered one of the valuable prizes to search for.  You'd wear them, but rarely as spectacles, monocles, etc. unless you were practically the king.  I don't see that befitting of an abbess or abbot to have such a prize. ;)  That being said, glass and stained glass had already been invented and used, and with the advancement of mathematics during the Renaissance, its not impossible to say that someone knew about reflection/refraction and angles.  With trading, the knowledge and technology spreads (or you buy them from merchants).  Therefore, if we are basing this question on our own history, I would certainly say glasses are made of glass.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Romsca

321tumbler

AxeHound

Well diamonds would not be feasible, I agree. But a variety of simple see-through rock crystal? I could dig geodes up in my backyard. Redwall does have a quarry nearby.

(please do not send me the pm game messages)