News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

D'ye ken

Started by Tam and Martin, February 03, 2013, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam and Martin

Some of the Highlanders in Redwall say "D'ye Ken" We were wondering what "Ken" means. I (Tam) though it meant "think" Martin thought it meant "know" and our other sister thought it meant "can". What do you think?

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Romsca

It means to know or understand!!!!!!! If you cannae ken the simplest of Scottish slang, ye need tae read Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson! (The unabridged, completely original version with notes on what each Scottish word means!)

Tam and Martin

Redwaller

yes, it means understand: Do you understand/D'ye ken.

Captain Tammo

Why do they always say "ach"?? I remember dodgy Plumm would say that a lot
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Redwaller

And "Och" too. Maybe it's just a way for them to express themselves.

Redwallfan7

I've always thought it's another way of them saying oh. I could be wrong but that's what I've always concluded it to be.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Tam and Martin

321tumbler

I think that's what it is.

KitrallStreamrippler

Quote from: Captain Tammo on February 04, 2013, 10:04:41 PM
Why do they always say "ach"?? I remember dodgy Plumm would say that a lot

It's just a sort of emphasis word, I think.
Ex: "Och, are ye daft? Put tha' down, ye wee nuisance!" shouted Dobhran to the Dibbun who was running around with a hefty wooden ladle, dealing out whacks on many an exposed footpaw.

I just found a Scottish "dictionary". This is what it says for "och": An exclamation of regret, sorrow or exasperation: Oh! ah! alas!
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Romsca

OMG WHERE DID YOU FIND A SCOTTISH DICTIONARY??!!!??!!! TELL ME! TELL ME! TELL ME!

Sorry about that  :P

*wants to be Scottish*

KitrallStreamrippler

Totally okay. I do that sometimes too.  ::)
I just searched "scottish dictionary" on google, and clicked one. It was... hold on, I'll find it.

Aha! It was the first result- Dictionary of the Scots Language (www.dsl.ac.uk)- but there are plenty of other ones. Also, there is a Gaelic dictionary at en.glosbe.com. Have fun!  :)
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Romsca