News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Verdauga, 2024

Main Menu

Writing In Accents: A Mistake?

Started by WoodenSpoon, February 05, 2013, 01:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowed One

Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

rachel25

I understand every word in every book but when I was younger and tried to read Martin the Warrior I couldn't understand molespeak but now that I'm older I went back and reread it and understood all of it  ;D

Maudie

Quote from: rachel25 on July 24, 2013, 04:08:47 PM
I understand every word in every book but when I was younger and tried to read Martin the Warrior I couldn't understand molespeak but now that I'm older I went back and reread it and understood all of it  ;D

One of my friends started Martin the warrior on my recommendation, and she didn't like it. I think part of the reason was that she had a hard time reading molespeak.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

rachel25

Quote from: Mask on July 24, 2013, 05:11:28 PM
Quote from: rachel25 on July 24, 2013, 04:08:47 PM

One of my friends started Martin the warrior on my recommendation, and she didn't like it. I think part of the reason was that she had a hard time reading molespeak.
well when she's maybe read a few of the others she might want to go back and reread Martin Oh I loved Martin the Warrior I cried so much  :'(

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Russano the Wise

Personally I really enjoy the accents. It made the Redwall world seem more real and vivid. At first I did have a little trouble understanding molespeech but I picked it up quickly and can now understand it quite well. I also have no trouble with any of the other accents.
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Maudie

I'm sure Mr. Jacques didn't make a mistake by writing in accents. (JK)  ;D

I, personally like the accents. They make it very unique, which it was anyway, but the accents have a distinct Redwall feel that no similar story gives.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

BadgerLordFiredrake

It's the only series that I know of that has so many diverse accents.  Love it!  :D  Can't imagine Redwall w/o them.
baby turtle forever

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: BadgerLordFiredrake on July 30, 2013, 08:21:37 PM
It's the only series that I know of that has so many diverse accents.  Love it!  :D  Can't imagine Redwall w/o them.
Yea, Redwall just wouldn't be the same without them!

Life is too short to rush through it.

The Shade

Ah sure, ain't the grand ald wildcat right hisself. Yiss yiss!!! ;D
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: The Shade on August 01, 2013, 09:28:03 PM
Eh, I'm always flippn' right, wot wot? ;D

Life is too short to rush through it.

Romsca

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on August 01, 2013, 09:29:03 PM
Quote from: The Shade on August 01, 2013, 09:28:03 PM
Eh, I'm always flippn' right, wot wot? ;D
Burr aye, you'm surrpintly be, zurr!

The Shade

Ah sure, yiss yiss, the grand ald mole fella here toke the words right out of my mouth, yiss yiss so she did!

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ach, ye be'z right zere laddie, ye ken?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

The Shade

Ah sure, and who might that grand ald fella be yer honour? Yiss yiss!