News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Writing In Accents: A Mistake?

Started by WoodenSpoon, February 05, 2013, 01:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

I say! What are all o' you young scallawags blabberin' on about? Can't understand a word you're saying, wot!
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Shade

Ah sure, and wern't we just a' saying how good the grand ald accents are? Ah, yiss yiss, so we were!
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Redwaller

So you just mixed vermin, highlander, and lizard in one sentence? Weird.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ach, avay viz ye laddie! Weird be'z brav, burr aye!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

The Shade

Oh, that is scary, theres a mole in there!  :o :o :o
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Emperor Ublaz

I have always loved the accents. Molespeech was a bit difficult to comprehend at first, but after having read the first book, I was able to understand most of what the moles were saying. I also like how the hares combine words together. Absoballylutely!
Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

Tam and Martin

I had trouble with mole at first too but I got the hang of it after the first 4 books I read.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Redwaller

One accent that I wanted to see more, was the old language. "Ye ol' shoemaker, Thou knowest what mine heart tells me!" (Random phrase)

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Aye, but vherefore art zou Romeo? (Ah'm in ze buzhez, zomevone knocked over ze ztupid ladder!)
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Blaggut

I understood every accent from the first two sentences
~Just a soft space boi~

MeadowR

I would have liked to have some Welsh presence in the accents of some race at some point. There's influences of English and Scottish but there doesn't seem to be obvious accents that could be Welsh. Although some character in Redwall does say 'boyo' so maybe that's a contribution? :P
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Faiyloe

I had a lot of trouble understanding mole speech but after the first five books I got the hang of it. It also took me some time to understand certain elements of highlander.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Sailears

Quote from: Redwaller on August 15, 2013, 02:00:37 PM
One accent that I wanted to see more, was the old language. "Ye ol' shoemaker, Thou knowest what mine heart tells me!" (Random phrase)
So weird that Gulo spoke like that.
My ears, how are you, wot!

MeadowR

It's fun to speak like that! I suppose I agree that more characters should have spoken like that! :P

How art thou? / thy knowest/ thine... etc... 'tis great. :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Dag Downyfur

I say, I love the jolly old accents,wot, in fact I want to use accents like those Redwall chaps in my own writing! But one of moi friends din't read much Redwall because ee didn't loike all thurr accents. ( But I don't really see why 'e din't like that, do you, mates?.)
Doctor Who is epic, so is Sherlock. And many other fandoms, but there's not enough room to list them all in my signature!
"I am and always will be the optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams." -Matt Smith