News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Verdauga, 2024

Main Menu

The Funny Picture topic

Started by Matthias720, July 14, 2011, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

Mm. The thing is that even the least extreme of ex-gay therapies have been proven to increase chances of developing a mental illness. As it stands, conversion therapies are the only option for "changing sexual behaviour" that I'm aware of. The Redditer's point about sexuality not equating to sexual behaviour would make sense if Pence thought like that. However, extreme anti-gay people generally do not see differing sexualities as orientations, but as the behaviour itself the word "lifestyle" is often used. What it seems like to me, considering Pence's history and the views of people like him, is that Pence was merely supporting conversion therapy, but trying to say it in the least inflammatory way possible. There is no proof of this, however, in the event that no answer is offered, the most likely option should be considered true. I would not have a problem with Pence's statement were it not for the fact that he lives in Indiana, which does not ban conversion therapy for minors. I do not have a problem with people voluntarily undergoing conversion therapy, as misguided as I may think they are, however, it is generally not adults who willingly enter into conversion therapies, but children who are pressured or forced by their parents. There are currently only five states with laws to prevent that, which means supporting conversion therapy in any state other than Vermont, California, New Jersey, Illinois and Oregon is supporting conversion therapy for minors, which is supporting child torture.

This Redditer outlines my views pretty well, if that's ^ a bit of a confusing mess.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

LT Sandpaw

Ok. I can respect that.

I think the largest problem was that people like yourself were stating that Pence supported conversion therapy (CT) as if it was fact, and as the article proves that was simply not true. Pence has never openly supported it, and twisting his words to make it seem like he does is and was unethical.

The quote being used to blame him for supporting CT was entirely about helping people change their sexual behavior and stopping the spread of HIV. That could mean anything from telling people to not pick up hookers to actually putting money towards CT, and I think it would be very intellectually dishonest for anyone to jump to the worst conclusion available simply because they hold a differing political view to Pence, and it would be slandering to pretend that, that view is indeed fact and spreading it around the internet without evidence.

I of course respect your right to dislike Pence on principle, because of his views on gay folks in general.

I can't speak for people who actually support conversion therapy, I don't even know if it is entirely baseless pseudo-science. So I wont wade into those waters.

Anyways, enough of this gloomy stuff. I love these Soviet Russia jokes. ;D

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

I actually have this shirt.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Okay, I want that shirt. XD

I also want something like this...

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Probably only funny to people who've read Six of Crows but whatever.

Kitsune

The bottom right blond one is what a Skarzs and Grumpy Cat combination would look like. ;D

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

So does Mathias actually (well it gets shaved while he's in prison, same difference) so I'm not sure why his hair is so long in that. Maybe that's Mathias while he was still a Druskelle.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Banya

Some of these might be repeats. ¯\_(?)_/¯

Spoiler

Yes, this is in the dark past, but I didn't share it in time:

[close]

Groddil

Trigger warning for cat people.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Banya on November 29, 2016, 06:37:43 AM
Some of these might be repeats. ¯\_(?)_/¯

Spoiler

Yes, this is in the dark past, but I didn't share it in time:

[close]

DOYOUREADHOMESTUCK?

The Skarzs

All those pictures and Jet only sees one.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

I saw them all (unless those giant gaps aren't supposed to be there), but took particular notice of one.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.