5 (27.8%)
Martin's spirit
3 (16.7%)
Both
10 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: December 05, 2012, 01:28:57 PM

Bragoon

Well, it wasn't magic, but presumably it was taken good care of after the events of Redwall. 
Also, there are some metals that aren't as susceptible to rust, and if you combine that withe the thought that they measure time in seasons, not years, I would think that once could reasonably argue that it's not as  unrealistic as it would seem.  Not to mention the fact that it came from a meteorite, so one could make the argument that it's a metal we haven't discovered.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Lily

I've seen swords that are just as shiny as the day they were made from the Muromachi period, so they were probably about 400-500 years old. They've been taken good care of, so they're still in great condition. Granted they're now kept in controlled environments, but I agree with Bragoon, the metal of Martin's sword was from a meteorite so it probably has special properties that would protect it from rust.

BadgerLordFiredrake

I think the whole "wielding thing"  is just phycologic.  Martin endows his spirit on the Redwall Champion.
baby turtle forever

White One6193

Quote from: Lily on January 26, 2012, 12:40:30 AM
I've seen swords that are just as shiny as the day they were made from the Muromachi period, so they were probably about 400-500 years old. They've been taken good care of, so they're still in great condition. Granted they're now kept in controlled environments, but I agree with Bragoon, the metal of Martin's sword was from a meteorite so it probably has special properties that would protect it from rust.

Of course! Being meteoritic iron, it probably contains natural alloys such as iridium and tungsten, which are hardening agents in steel, as well as chromium, which would defend from rust.

Plus, Brian specifically mentioned that Boar "folded the steel" many times during the forging of the Sword. That specific method was used in only two cultures around the world, the Vikings and the Japanese. There is a reason that Viking and samurai blades are in practically the SAME condition almost a millennium after they were first taken out of their annealing fires.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

White One6193

Quote from: Nightfire on September 12, 2011, 08:53:21 PM
:D :D :D :D Okay, back to the subject...I wonder if the falling star was a Meteorite, or a Comet?

Weelll, seein' as how a comet is basically an interspace snowball, it would be kinda hard to forge a metal sword out of it.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Bragoon

It had to be a meteorite.  A meteorite is a bit of rock/metal/etc. that actually made it through Earth's atmosphere to the ground, whereas a comet is something that travels through outer space.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Søren

Well, what ever it is, its gotta be chip-proof

I'm retired from the forum

Skipper

didn't boar say it was a falling star?

Bragoon

Yes, he did, but I don't think that can be taken literally. 

Matthias Martin

this does go with the sword, was Martin the warrior left handed or right handed? in some photos it shows him as left handed.

Skipper

maybe he can use both, it dosn't really matter

Bragoon

I would say right-handed, since that's how he's portrayed on both the British and American covers.

Dotti

I've always sort of assumed that the creatures in Redwall were all right-pawed unless stated otherwise (like Perigourd did when he was shouting out his challenging remarks to the tree thingummies that had bothered his party on their way to Redwall) but I guess there's no proof one way or the other.  It's not terribly important to the story, so I guess Mr. Jacques just left it to our imaginations. :)
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Dannflower Reguba

Does it really matter what hand he used? His sword is Symmetrical, therefore it is used the same way in both directions. Besides, swords can be used in either paw no matter who it was made for.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

gorath

I agree, for good or evil.
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.