5 (27.8%)
Martin's spirit
3 (16.7%)
Both
10 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: December 05, 2012, 01:28:57 PM

mahoney49733

It's not made from a star, its made from a meteorite. They just look like stars. Hence tje name shooting or falling stars. But how were the inhabitants of Salamandastron supposed to know that?

Redwaller

because i think they said they saw a star fall!  :P

Redwallfan7

Well in every book, they say it was made out of a falling star. Whilst (pardon the expression) other books say meteorite.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lily

Mahoney is right, it had to have been a meteorite. What we call "falling stars" or "shooting stars" are not stars at all, they're actually meteors entering the Earth's atmosphere. The ones that survive to hit the ground are called meteorites. With our knowledge of modern science we know the difference, but as Mahoney said, how were the inhabitants of Salamandastron supposed to know that? They look like stars, so they're called stars.

Dannflower Reguba

Shouldn't we use Redwall science then? This is a fiction series! Is there such things as science when you read Fantasy? No there is not. It's called Fantasy for a reason, if I were to think with science in mind, then (pardon the geometry If-then statement) I'd be freaking out about TALKING ANIMALS! We take this in stride without considering science. This is a whole new world.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

psybox

sci-fi and fantasy aren't two combating genres.

Lily

I was just saying that, semantically speaking, the others who have called it a meteorite are technically correct. I wasn't trying to bring science into Redwall. In fact, if you read my post you would have seen that I ended it by saying that the inhabitants of Salamandastron have no way of knowing what we know so that's why they called it a star.

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

MatthiasMan

Hmf. About how long does it take to make a sword though?

redwallgurl

thats a good point and according to the book only one night
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Redwaller

But it was a Badger Lord.

White One6193

Quote from: MatthiasMan on June 23, 2012, 04:26:54 PM
Hmf. About how long does it take to make a sword though?

Hohohoho! Now that's a good question, me lad! Okay, I am literally an apprentice blacksmith, plus I've read every book on sword-making I could get my hands on, so I know what I'm talking about here...

Now, in the books, Brian says that the sword was forged from the metal of a fallen star, aka meteoritic iron.
First thing, meteoritic iron, ESPECIALLY if you found enough to forge a broadsword (what I'd give to have a meteorite fall in my yard right now.. ::)) would be very hard to forge. Meteoric metal is usually a natural alloy of metals like striated iron (which is iron wherein the alignment of atoms have allowed the metal to form crystal patterns), manganese, tungsten, alumuminum , and chromium, or any combination thereof. Metals like manganese and tungsten increase the melting point of iron, making in more resistant to heat, and better at absorbing carbon, making it really hard and easy to hold an edge. An aluminum alloy decreases density, making the steel lighter, and more flexible, and less likely to fracture. Finally, for the crowning touch, you have chromium, which when added to iron makes it resistant to corrosion (explaining why the ancient blade still looks so good after such a long time)

Now onto forging. Let us assume, for the sake of argument, that on that night so many seasons ago the "perfect" meteorite fell. This meteorite, in order to become Martin's magnificent blade, will need about equal portions of each element listed to be forged properly. Boar, having found this magnificent piece of metal, now has to melt of the slag off. Slag is the waste product that comes off the first forging. Now that that's done, Boar has to decide how to forge. This process takes about a day and a half.

Then, there's the process of turning this lump of iron into a sword. First the smith has to divide his steel into edge, haft, and tang pieces.

Brian said that Boar "folded the steel". This indicates that Boar was using a forge style called "pattern- welding". Pattern-welding is ExTREMELY difficult, requiring precise, rapid strokes of the hammer in order to weld the separate pieces together. Pattern welding can  and should only be done by a master smith. A a pattern blade is a near-perfect blade. It is resistant to fracture, holds an edge permanently, and if chromium is involved, will not rust. it can even cut through lesser blades!

This process, even with modern tools, can take weeks or months. With a sea-coal forge like that described in the books, it could easily take up to three months, or in other words: a season!

"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Felldoh154

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on July 18, 2011, 06:44:26 AM
Just as a guide, these are the known wielders of Martin's sword. List taken from the Redwall wiki:

Martin the Elder Warrior
Luke the Warrior
Martin the Warrior
Badrang the Tyrant
Gonff the Mousethief
Dandin
Mariel Gullwhacker
Snidjer
Catseyes
Dingeye
Dethbrush
Samkim
King Bloodfeather
King Bull Sparra
Asmodeus
Matthias
Jess
Malkariss
Mattimeo
Martin II
Abbot Arven
Dannflower Reguba
Log-a-Log Dippler
Deyna
Skipper (Triss)
Trisscar Swordmaid
Bragoon
Hortwill Longblade Braebuck
Abbess Fenna
Sister Armel
Shard
Rakkety Tam MacBurl
The Grumpy Watervole
Magger
Vizka Longtooth
Orkwil Prink
Laird Bosie McScutta of Bowlaynee
Clarinna
Uggo Wiltud
Posybud
Jum Gurdy

wait malkariss wields it?? isn't he the bad guy in mattimeo?? i fail to recall him using it

W0NWILL

When Matthias falls, Malkariss gets his paws on the sword and is about to kill Matthias when the slaves pelt him with rocks. Heeheehee, I love that part.

Felldoh154

Ohhh ya I remember now. Thanks

One question I had about the sword:
In the tv series it had the words "I am that is" written on the blade. I can't recall that in the book. Is that just something the tv series added on?