News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

BOOKS!!!

Started by Redwaller, April 19, 2013, 10:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

We have more than 34 books, but most of them are boring old classics. We have 3 large bookshelfs full and one more little one devoted to Redwall books and picture books.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Redwaller

Classics! I love the classics!

Altho' the new ones are also great!

Ungatt Trunn

I really like The Adventures of Tintin. My library has nearly the hyole series, so I'm covered ;D!

Life is too short to rush through it.

Rusvul

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 23, 2013, 05:30:14 AM
There's an elderly lady I visit from time to time who has bookshelves lining the hallway in her house all full of old books, mostly hardbacks.
Elinor!

Buzz_Bumble

I never really liked Tintin ... I preferred Asterix & Obelix (I've got a few of these, but not all).

Romsca

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on April 25, 2013, 12:28:50 PM
Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 23, 2013, 05:30:14 AM
There's an elderly lady I visit from time to time who has bookshelves lining the hallway in her house all full of old books, mostly hardbacks.
Elinor!
Watch out for Capricorn, Buzz_Bumble. "Elinor" might have some old books he wants to burn...  ;D

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 25, 2013, 10:35:08 PM
I never really liked Tintin ... I preferred Asterix & Obelix (I've got a few of these, but not all).

No way, Asterix & Obelix in German?!
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Buzz_Bumble

Where does "German" come into it??  ???

I'm in New Zealand and my books are in English.  :)

BUT, you can get the Asterix books in many different languages and they often change the characters' names so that the jokes work better in the non-English languages.

Leatho Shellhound

Oh, haha I only know them in german.  :D Same names.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Buzz_Bumble

The main characters of Asterix and Obelix usually use the same names, but many of the other characters get different names in different language versions of the books.

According to the Wikipedia page ...

• The druid's name in the English version is Getafix - the German version is Miraculix.
  • The little dog's name in the English version is Dogmatix - the German version is Idefix.
  • The village chief's name in the English version is Vitalstatistix - the German versions is Majestix.
  • The "musical" bard's name in the English version is Cacofonix - in the German version is Troubadix.
  • etc.
:)

Rusvul

The german names make more sense.
Miraculix, Miracle-worker
Idefix, Fidelity, loyalty.
Majestix, Majesty
Troubadix, Troubadour.

Redwaller

Asterix & Obelix is originally French. The author was born at Paris. His name is René Goscinny.

He's also the author of Iznogoud.

Most Cartoons are French:

Tintin

Astérix et Obélix

Iznogoud

Les Tuniques Bleues

Le Petit Nicolas

Les 4 As

Gaston Lagaffe

Lucky Luke

Spirou

Marsupilami

And countless others.

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on April 26, 2013, 11:48:36 AM
The german names make more sense.

The English names, and the names in other languages, make sense too.

For example, Cacofonix comes from "cacophony", which basically means a horrible sound ... perfect for the bard character who can't sing or play an instrument properly. Dogmatix obviously comes from being a "dog".

I'm not sure about Getafix and Vitalstatistix ... I'm not THAT big of an Asterix fan.  :)

QuoteMost Cartoons are French:

That's not true. Most cartoons are Asian or American.  :)

Redwaller

Rusvul

There's a bazillion anime's, and a ridiculous amount of stupid (In my opinion, at least) cartoons on places like cartoon network.