News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Do you ever watch children's TV shows?

Started by Orinoco, May 05, 2013, 09:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachel25

does anyone here watch a show called Shaun the Sheep  ;)

phoenixfoden

Quote from: rachel25 on June 08, 2013, 02:38:17 PM
does anyone here watch a show called Shaun the Sheep  ;)
i somtimes watch it when i get the time,nice show.
Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 08, 2013, 08:03:12 AM
I've got a book that tells the history of Hanna-Barbera and the shows they made (both animated and a couple of live-action ones). I've also got another book for Disney's animation (although that's quite old now so doesn't include any of the Pixar movies or Beauty & the Beast).
i have a history book of disney from the 80s,it shows even the short movies they made.

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: phoenixfoden on June 09, 2013, 12:47:54 AM
i have a history book of disney from the 80s,it shows even the short movies they made.

Yep, mine goes way back to the very start, before Mickey Mouse. They're both very thick books with lots of detail about the history, the shows / movies, and the individual characters.  :)

phoenixfoden

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 09, 2013, 12:57:31 AM
Quote from: phoenixfoden on June 09, 2013, 12:47:54 AM

Yep, mine goes way back to the very start, before Mickey Mouse. They're both very thick books with lots of detail about the history, the shows / movies, and the individual characters.  :)
just looking at the start it shows how walt started his small cartooning job.

Rainshadow

I dunno if this counts as a children's show, but has anyone seen Full House?  I used to watch that all the time when I was younger!  I liked the fact that the episodes (or at least, the ones I remember) all had a point.  A moral, of sorts, I guess you could say.  Not like shows such as Spongebob Squarepants where the only thing that really happens is that they do something really strange or dumb and then spend the whole episode laughing about it.  :P  Sadly though, when I was younger, I watched Spongebob.  I have no idea why I really liked it now, but I loved it when I was little.  :P  Still, my opinion is that the older episodes of that show were much better and made a wee bit more sense than the new episodes (or at least, the latest that I've seen, which was several (SEVERAL) years ago).
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Romsca

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: Rainshadow on June 09, 2013, 01:42:43 AM
I dunno if this counts as a children's show, but has anyone seen Full House?

Not a children's show, more of a family comedy, but I used to watch it too. The worst thing about it is that it started the Olsen twins "career" ;) (they were babies at the start, which tells you how old the show is since they're now in their twenties).

Other similar shows from that time were Step by Step, My Two Dads, Growing Pains, and Family Ties (starring Michael J Fox)

WoodlandWarrior

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 09, 2013, 04:39:57 AM
Quote from: Rainshadow on June 09, 2013, 01:42:43 AM
I dunno if this counts as a children's show, but has anyone seen Full House?

Not a children's show, more of a family comedy, but I used to watch it too. The worst thing about it is that it started the Olsen twins "career" ;) (they were babies at the start, which tells you how old the show is since they're now in their twenties).

Other similar shows from that time were Step by Step, My Two Dads, Growing Pains, and Family Ties (starring Michael J Fox)

I watched all of those shows. :)  Also guilty of watching Family Matters with Urkel.  :P
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Buzz_Bumble

I remembered a few more good old family comedies after logging off: Mork & Mindy (although it got silly towards the end), A.L.F. and The Greatest American Hero (technically more of a comedy-drama perhaps).

rachel25

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 10, 2013, 08:30:55 AM
I remembered a few more good old family comedies after logging off: Mork & Mindy (although it got silly towards the end), A.L.F. and The Greatest American Hero (technically more of a comedy-drama perhaps).
never heard of any of them  ???  ::)

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ze Monkeez vaz alvayz a riot. Vith regardz tae cartoonz, ye've got tae love ztuff like Fozter'z Home For Imaginary Friendz!

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

phoenixfoden

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 10, 2013, 05:05:14 PM
Ze Monkeez vaz alvayz a riot. Vith regardz tae cartoonz, ye've got tae love ztuff like Fozter'z Home For Imaginary Friendz!

i liked the rabbit from that show  ;D

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: rachel25 on June 10, 2013, 03:17:00 PM
Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 10, 2013, 08:30:55 AM
... Mork & Mindy (although it got silly towards the end), A.L.F. and The Greatest American Hero (technically more of a comedy-drama perhaps).
never heard of any of them  ???  ::)

Mork and Mindy was the show that really kick-started Robin Williams career. He plays an alien (Mork) from the planet Ork who was sent to Earth (by giant egg) to observe humans. Mindy was the Earth-woman who, for some peculiar reason, allowed him to stay in the spare room of her house. Mork actually first appeared on the show Happy Days, but then got his own show. Morks most well-known phrase was "Nanoo-nanoo", which was Orkanian for "Hello".

A.L.F. was about another alien (A.L.F. = Alien Life Form) who crashed on Earth and stayed with a family. The character was a puppet (although ocassionally it was a little person in a furry suit). A.L.F.'s biggest probalems was chasing the family cat - apparently his species eats cats. There was also a TV movie, and there were recently plans for a remake, but thankfully I haven't read anything more about that.

The Greatest American Hero was about mysterious aliens who delivered a suitcase containing a superhero suit to an FBI (or was it CIA) agent and somehow, I forget how, a high-school teacher became the one who wore it and together they fought crimes ... except they had lost the instruction book and didn't know what the suit could do or how it worked (his initial attempts at flying were crazy zig-agging, arm waving flights). This too was rumoured to being remade and seems to have thankfully been dropped. (The show's theme tune is extremely popular for weddings and often voted the best theme tune "ever".)

There's lots of other great shows from the 1970's and 1980's - they were the golden years of TV entertainment, when some people actually had creative talent and knew how to make TV ... before the lazy drivel of "reality" TV took over.  :(

More great old family entertainment shows you probably don't know: MacGyver, Knight Rider, Battlestar Galactica (the real version, not the silly new one), Buck Rogers, The A-Team (the real version, not the silly new movie), Magnum P.I, ... :)

Another old family comedy show: Who's the Boss (which started Alyssa Milano's career long before Charmed).

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: phoenixfoden on June 11, 2013, 03:01:56 AM
Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 10, 2013, 05:05:14 PM

i liked the rabbit from that show  ;D

Aye, 'e vaz ze Butler at Fozterz.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

phoenixfoden

He was an inspiration for a couple of cartoon charicters i drew