Redwall (Book)-Should it be revised?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, June 03, 2013, 07:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Redwaller on June 17, 2013, 03:50:49 PM
1. I see no wrong in using Biblical names.(They're just names!)
There is nothing wrong with the names. I don't think those should be changed.
2. Nothing wrong with Basil suddenly changing is way of speech.
In Redwall (and in Mossflower involving a different Hare, leading me to think that Mossflower might need revision), Basil says "What" instead of "Wot" like most all other Hares in the series.
3. It doesn't really matter.
It can confuse first-time readers.
4. They got extinct! ::)
Very unlikely! :)

Life is too short to rush through it.

Redwaller

I didn't find it confusing. I forgot most of the creatures until I got on the Forum.

Buzz_Bumble

The lazy talentless fools in the comic book and movie industries have "revised" Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man so much that (other than the very basic storyline) nobody really knows who the characters are any longer.   :(

Kitsune

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 19, 2013, 08:08:03 AM
The lazy talentless fools in the comic book and movie industries have "revised" Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man so much that (other than the very basic storyline) nobody really knows who the characters are any longer.   :(
We don't want that to happen to Redwall!!

Buzz_Bumble

I read this morning that the lazy, talentless idiots in Hollyweird are making yet another new so-called Batman - this time it's a computer animated TV series called Beware the Batman and described as "A cool, new take on the classic Dark Knight franchise".  :(

MeadowR

I haven't read it in so long to confirm this, but I actually think I'd possibly like Redwall maybe more than some other Redwall books because it's different. As much as I like the ideas behind the books, some can get quite generic and so the early 'inaccuracies' of the first book can be a bit of fresh air. :) But as I said, I can only really decide that once I read it again!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: PluggFiretail on June 19, 2013, 05:10:19 PM
Nobody would be doing anything that would ruin it if it was revised. They wouldn't be changing any of the actual plot, just  some spellings and foods, that all. It wouldn't have to be changed to make it really stupid like those Hollywood Directors are doing to Spider Man and Co.

Redwaller

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on June 20, 2013, 04:01:07 PM
I haven't read it in so long to confirm this, but I actually think I'd possibly like Redwall maybe more than some other Redwall books because it's different. As much as I like the ideas behind the books, some can get quite generic and so the early 'inaccuracies' of the first book can be a bit of fresh air. :) But as I said, I can only really decide that once I read it again!
My thought exactly.

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on June 20, 2013, 09:09:16 PM
Nobody would be doing anything that would ruin it if it was revised. They wouldn't be changing any of the actual plot, just  some spellings and foods, that all. It wouldn't have to be changed to make it really stupid like those Hollywood Directors are doing to Spider Man and Co.
Not true, because then there would be gaps in the story that could not be filled accurately.

Rusvul

Ungatt, our point is that if anyone revised Redwall, it would ruin it. If spellings and food are the only things that need to be revised, then it barely matters. If Brian had revised it, I'd be fine. But he didn't and anybody else messing with it would be ruining it.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on June 21, 2013, 01:50:05 AM

Ungatt, our point is that if anyone revised Redwall, it would ruin it. If spellings and food are the only things that need to be revised, then it barely matters. If Brian had revised it, I'd be fine. But he didn't and anybody else messing with it would be ruining it.
But just look around: Dozens and dozens of people have written fan fictions about the world of Redwall, and do any of them ruin that world? No, they don't. Writing an unofficial Redwall book is more likely to do some bad to the original series more than revising a few small things would to an official book.
Quote from: Redwaller on June 21, 2013, 01:44:00 AM
Not true, because then there would be gaps in the story that could not be filled accurately.
Not necessary. Changing a few spellings and little stuff like that wouldn't make any gaps.

VedCassib

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on June 24, 2013, 10:26:07 PM
But just look around: Dozens and dozens of people have written fan fictions about the world of Redwall, and do any of them ruin that world? No, they don't. Writing an unofficial Redwall book is more likely to do some bad to the original series more than revising a few small things would to an official book.

Fan fiction is just what the name implies. Fiction made by fans, it does nothing to harm any series. Someone rewriting another persons book is basically rewriting history to suit your own needs. Some of us think it would ruin the book, some of us don't. There is no one proposing an official rewriting of the book or anything close to it. The fact that we have discussed this subject as much as we have is almost laughable. I suggest we shake hands, so to speak, agree to disagree and let this one go before we start making enemies.  :)

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: VedCassib on June 25, 2013, 03:19:31 AM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on June 24, 2013, 10:26:07 PM

Fan fiction is just what the name implies. Fiction made by fans, it does nothing to harm any series. Someone rewriting another persons book is basically rewriting history to suit your own needs. Some of us think it would ruin the book, some of us don't. There is no one proposing an official rewriting of the book or anything close to it. The fact that we have discussed this subject as much as we have is almost laughable. I suggest we shake hands, so to speak, agree to disagree and let this one go before we start making enemies.  :)
I don't intend to make any enemies; I just like debating things :)
And, just to say, if somebody would revise Redwall, they wouldn't re-write the whole thing, just fix a few things ;)

VedCassib

Ok, I like debating things sometimes as well. I just felt that this particular debate was starting to get a little bit heated. Maybe I was wrong.  :)

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: VedCassib on June 25, 2013, 07:46:17 PM
Ok, I like debating things sometimes as well. I just felt that this particular debate was starting to get a little bit heated. Maybe I was wrong.  :)
I didn't see anything that was heated, but that's really enough on the subject :)

Redwaller

Sure, even if we agree, or disagree, it does not change the fact that it's not being changed.