News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

LEAST favorite "good" race

Started by Blaggut, August 22, 2013, 07:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your LEAST favorite "good" race?

Otter
3 (4.1%)
Hare
6 (8.1%)
Squirrel
4 (5.4%)
Mice
8 (10.8%)
Mole
10 (13.5%)
Hedgehog
19 (25.7%)
Shrew
16 (21.6%)
Badger
8 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Dannflower Reguba

We classify voles as "grey" characters, so they aren't in the good guy category. We've got discussions for specifically grey characters as well.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

SilentSam

Quote from: danflorreguba on November 03, 2014, 07:37:18 PM
       We classify voles as "grey" characters, so they aren't in the good guy category. We've got discussions for specifically grey characters as well.
Okay thanks!  ;)
;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

Søren

I never really. Ares for the shrews.
HOW DID BADGERS GET 4 VOTES??!?!? They are one of the best, maybe second only to mice!!

I'm retired from the forum

SilentSam

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on November 13, 2014, 05:14:03 AM
I never really. Ares for the shrews.
HOW DID BADGERS GET 4 VOTES??!?!? They are one of the best, maybe second only to mice!!
True
;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

LT Sandpaw

I voted badgers just because I don't like how it takes an army to defeat one.
I can deal with the fact that all vermin suck at combat but when you take a creature that is so completely OP it gets a bit old.
Other then that their cool.

Suppose there's no bad badgers because they go crazy and get themselves killed?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Søren

Let's hope there will NEVER be a bad badger!

I'm retired from the forum

Hickory

Okay, mice and voles. Although Martin and Matthaias and etc. are cool, many mice like brinty seem boring and often misrepresented in the audiobooks (High Rhulain). so my view may be warped.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Hickory

Like hares and badgers! they're awesome!!!!
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Delthion

Sagetip the mods don't like when we double post. Just use that shiny "modify" button in the top right corner.  :)
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Cornflower MM

Shrews - They're rather argumentative, and they just got on my nerves. For one thing, first you're all singing and laughing. . . Then you're fighting over the silliest thing? Like, what? Then, they just seem so proudful - And proud of some of the strangest things. Like bragging. What the flip?

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on November 21, 2014, 10:50:44 PM

I voted badgers just because I don't like how it takes an army to defeat one.
I can deal with the fact that all vermin suck at combat but when you take a creature that is so completely OP it gets a bit old.
Other then that their cool.

My sentiments exactly. ^^^ That's always kinda bugged me, ut other than that, badgers are cool. I mean, they're not my favorite 'good' race, I just view them in a view rather like this: "Okay. You guys are cool, abd all, but you're alsao kind of meh."

rrrrr

rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Wylder Treejumper

The arrogance is definitely a defining racial character trait. All you have to do is look at Lords Rawnblade and Brocktree, for example. Though, in the more likeable badgers (Sunflash and Russano the Wise), this trait was conspicuously absent.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on July 22, 2015, 02:25:46 AM
The arrogance is definitely a defining racial character trait. All you have to do is look at Lords Rawnblade and Brocktree, for example. Though, in the more likeable badgers (Sunflash and Russano the Wise), this trait was conspicuously absent.

Rawnblade I don't remember very well, but Brocktree arrogant? Possibly a bit proud, but I wouldn't call him arrogant. There are also the three badgers from Eulalia (Gorath, and the travelers), none of them were arrogant, and I don't remember Urthewyte being arrogant either. The difference between pride and arrogance being that pride is looking highly on yourself, where as arrogance is looking down on others in comparison to how you see yourself.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

The Skarzs

Part of it was the power they commanded, being Badger Lords; creatures obeyed them, most without question. This is something a lot of people don't like, because a symbol of power is often something people want to rebel against. (Every dystopian story ever.) So, perhaps their power figure, their physical prowess, and the fact that they're almost legends is enough to make people not like them.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

SoranMBane

I have to echo previous sentiments and say badgers, because they're often a lot less interesting than the other species, sometimes even to the point of being downright boring. They're just too "perfect." Not that they're universally awful or anything - as side characters, they serve a useful role as strong leaders and wise mentor figures - but when they try to be our main protagonist, they tend to lose their way. Gorath the Flame and Lord Brocktree are probably the most easy-to-identify examples; I thought Gorath was a huge Gary Stu, and while Brocktree wasn't quite that bad, he was still easily one of the least interesting good guy characters in his own book. But I do remember liking Sunflash the Mace (who's basically the protagonist of Outcast of Redwall, despite the fact that the title doesn't even refer to him), although it has been a long while since I've read that particular book; I'll have to reread it at some point to see if he'd hold up as a character to me now.