News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Overly powerful woodlanders...

Started by Starla1431, October 30, 2013, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on November 06, 2013, 01:24:18 AM
The cats should've been fast, agile and acrobatic, used their claws as well as weapons, and see in the dark. The rats could've been more well rounded fighters (and had mean little bites). The foxes could've had heightened senses and maybe been smarter (though the main ones were clever enough as is). The lizards should've been quick, agile, fierce, used their tails and regeneration. The toads should've used their jumping skills to tackle and body slam creatures or make quick getaways and fought with their tongues. The weasels could've been stealthy and sneaky and good at getting into small places (they'd make great burglars or stealth assassins)
Wildcats stuff is a subject that I am well learned about.  ;D Alliw me to make a statement on your idea of Wildcats...

The Wildcasts were fast, agil and acrobatic. Just read Mossflower or High Rhulian, they can show as much agility as otters can (exept when it comes to swimming, of course. No creature exept fishes can top them on that ;D).

Life is too short to rush through it.

JangoCoolguy

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on November 06, 2013, 02:05:53 AM
Wildcats stuff is a subject that I am well learned about.  ;D Alliw me to make a statement on your idea of Wildcats...

The Wildcasts were fast, agil and acrobatic. Just read Mossflower or High Rhulian, they can show as much agility as otters can (exept when it comes to swimming, of course. No creature exept fishes can top them on that ;D).

Oh. Must've misread those (though it's been a while since I read/listened to those ones). Maybe I was still tasting those grapes (quite sour, I'm afraid)

Faiyloe

also foxes where quite stealthy sneaky and sly. Relying more on deception and tactics then out right fighting. (Sela, Plugg Firetail, Silvamord and Slagar come to mind.)

I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Faiyloe on November 06, 2013, 03:24:57 PM
also foxes where quite stealthy sneaky and sly. Relying more on deception and tactics then out right fighting. (Sela, Plugg Firetail, Silvamord and Slagar come to mind.)

Very true..

Dannflower Reguba

The weasel's were typically more sneaky than the others as well. The rats and stoats were generally the brutes, and ferrets are pretty slippery.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: danflorreguba on November 06, 2013, 03:58:11 PM
The weasel's were typically more sneaky than the others as well. The rats and stoats were generally the brutes, and ferrets are pretty slippery.

Just take Swartt? Ferhago, Cluny...they all had the characteristics described here. The bad species may not have had all of there true abilitys granted to them, but they still retain a few of them....

Dannflower Reguba

One other point here, the vermin species are all naturally aggressive, meaning that they have sharper claws and teeth already, plus their skill sets are a bit more combative which gives them a HUGE advantage over the woodlanders because their skills are passive. The possibility that the vermin don't have all of their traits all of the time is more of an equalizer than anything else!

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: danflorreguba on November 06, 2013, 04:11:38 PM
One other point here, the vermin species are all naturally aggressive, meaning that they have sharper claws and teeth already, plus their skill sets are a bit more combative which gives them a HUGE advantage over the woodlanders because their skills are passive. The possibility that the vermin don't have all of their traits all of the time is more of an equalizer than anything else!
I guess you can look at it that way...

JangoCoolguy

Seems more like lazy writing to me. Especially since it wasn't very equal much of the time. In fact, the vermin using their real life traits more might've forced the woodlanders (and Jacques) to use more strategy and skill over the dumb luck, Mary Sues, and Deus ex Martinas that seem to solve a lot of their problems.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on November 09, 2013, 01:38:30 AM

Seems more like lazy writing to me. Especially since it wasn't very equal much of the time. In fact, the vermin using their real life traits more might've forced the woodlanders (and Jacques) to use more strategy and skill over the dumb luck, Mary Sues, and Deus ex Martinas that seem to solve a lot of their problems.
What dumb luck?

JangoCoolguy

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on November 09, 2013, 01:43:10 AM
What dumb luck?

The way things just seem to keep working out in the good guys' favor a lot of the time.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on November 09, 2013, 03:41:55 AM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on November 09, 2013, 01:43:10 AM
What dumb luck?

The way things just seem to keep working out in the good guys' favor a lot of the time.
I don't see allot of that in the Redwall series.

Dannflower Reguba

No kidding, the good guys generally lose most of the fights, they just win the important ones.

-Mossflower (The attack on Kotir)
-Marlfox (The attack on the island, and fights with the invaders)
-Matin the Warrior (Cutting down the tree, attack on Marshank)
-Loamhedge (Fighting off the enemy that was already within the walls [pepper bombs!])
-Redwall (Basically everything)
-Lord Brocktree (Taking back Salamandastron)

This is just a quick list of books you should read to see just how much strategy there is in the series, they are in no particular order.

And BTW, I'm not even mentioning the vermin strategy, there was tons of that as well.

Also BTW, there were very few Mary Sue's (Mariel being the only one that comes to mind maybe Maudie?) in the series.

There was next to no luck involved in the books, sheer brainpower most of the time.

Also, consider the fact that vermin are predators, so they think along the lines of killing for survival. Were as the woodlanders are passive beasts who focus on survival as a whole. This would insinuate that the woodlanders mental faculties would have to be more powerful than the vermin's in order to give them an edge to work with.

The Shade

I'm not sure good guys lose a lot of fights, but then again, BJ only really focused on the main ones. In some books you might see the reference to a lost battle.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Shadowed One

Of course the good guys have to win most of the fights if they are defending Redwall. If they lost, the abbey would fall, and the series would basically be over.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc