Sort of...
15 (53.6%)
No, not at all!
2 (7.1%)
Neuteral on the subject.
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Ungatt Trunn

Well, what do you guys think? I'll just wait for the discussion to develop, then I'll throw in some of my opinions.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Gonff the Mousethief

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Faiyloe

She kind of was but really she was so well done that you can't hold it against her.  
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

JangoCoolguy

Sable

I think there were some things, like how she shows up at Redwall as a dirty, smelly amnesiac and yet Dandin and Saxtus immediately like her, that were suspect, but she was a pretty good character in spite of it, as Faiyloe said. The fact that she wasn't the one who killed Gabool made her much less of a Sue than she would have been otherwise.
And this world's a fickle measure
I will painfully remind you
I'm a wise man to your red hand
You lay covered in our best sins
Three hits to the heart, love
And it's poetry in motion

Rusvul

I don't really think that any of the characters in Redwall were more Sueish than others... But in general I think all the heroes were too perfect, and all the villains were too evil. The biggest problem I've had with the Redwall series is how black and white it is. I mean, yeah, there's some vermin who end up being good, but, that's like, three, out of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands. And there was, what, two or three good creatures who were evil? Aside from voles, they're kinda neutral.

Ungatt Trunn

I went with "Sort Of". She did have some pretty Sue-ish qualities, like being nearly indestructable when fighting and seeming to be the one who kniws best, but she wasn't a complete Sue. I think it was a good choice by BJ for her not to kill Gabool: prehaps BJ relized by then that Mariel was a little Sue-ish towards the end, so he prevented her getting sealed into that character type forever.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

MeadowR

^ I second that. Certainly in my country it's not a term we use! :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ungatt Trunn

Hmmm, how should I put it....a Mary Sue is like a person who is, in a nutshell, perfect: they can do anything right, they're almost never wrong, they have allot of talents, and are just plain-out perfect at everything. You can Google it or something for a better definition; I'm not so sure that I explained it that well. ;)

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on February 12, 2014, 03:52:26 PM
Hmmm, how should I put it....a Mary Sue is like a person who is, in a nutshell, perfect: they can do anything right, they're almost never wrong, they have allot of talents, and are just plain-out perfect at everything. You can Google it or something for a better definition; I'm not so sure that I explained it that well. ;)
OK thanks

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on February 11, 2014, 05:21:16 PM
I went with "Sort Of". She did have some pretty Sue-ish qualities, like being nearly indestructable when fighting and seeming to be the one who kniws best, but she wasn't a complete Sue. I think it was a good choice by BJ for her not to kill Gabool: prehaps BJ relized by then that Mariel was a little Sue-ish towards the end, so he prevented her getting sealed into that character type forever.
I did the same. She seemed perfect at sometimes but other times she was awesome!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Vilu Daskar

MeadowR

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on February 12, 2014, 03:52:26 PM

You explained it well, thanks! I do envy people in real life who seem to be good at so much when I'm only okay at about one thing and that's it. :D But even they must have some things they aren't amazing at. So yeah, in a book it can seem a little unbelievable that a character can be so great at everything! and then it is even harder to personally identify with the too-perfect character. A looot of books seem to have Mary-Sue characters!

I can't specifically reply as to how Mary Sue like Mariel was until I read the book again! :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on February 12, 2014, 06:37:54 PM
I can't specifically reply as to how Mary Sue like Mariel was until I read the book again! :)
Well, a good example is how she survived being flung into an ocean with a large storm brewing at the time. That was just, like, unatrual. I don't think any creature could survive being flung into a heavily stormy sea.