News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Blacksmithing.

Started by The Skarzs, April 13, 2014, 12:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Couldn't find any topic for this specifically, but here's one.

I know there are more than one blacksmiths on here, and this is to discuss things concerning blacksmithing, and maybe answer questions anyone may have.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

UNKN0WN

Now I am curious.
Why do you want to know about blacksmithing (or getting tips).

The Skarzs

I am a blacksmith, thank you very much. ;D Sharing knowledge is fun and useful, and we may get ideas of what to make from each other.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

Hmm. Yeah. So, I'm currently working on a knife that'll strap to my wrist- It's a pretty cool design, actually. It's got two blades that will fall apart from each other, or sort of slide together and almost connect. It's kind of like a lobster claw.

The Skarzs

Cool. I'm thinking of something like a push dagger, and/or possible a forearm knife.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

...Are you referring to a wristblade? Like those guys from that game... The ones with the white hoods... Um, Assassin's Creed. That's it. Yeah. Like those?

...No, you're probably trying to distance yourself from those, aren't you? I hate it when I make something, and people are like 'Oh, like from -insert movie, game, book, or other popular thing I have no interest in here-?'

Uh, sorry.

...Wait, no I'm not... :P

The Skarzs

I don't like the Assassin's Creed games.
Anyway. First off: those blades are not as effective as they show them to be; it would take three or four stabs in the proper place to kill someone with it. Second: as interesting as an idea it is that it is spring opened, there is no guarantee that it will open at first, it has a possibility of flying out, and that would weaken it's effectiveness.
Third: you don't get as much power having it under your wrist.

What I am thinking is a blade that extends above your fists, connected to a handle you grab, and continuing above your arm (in one piece) to be strapped to your forearm for more support. If made properly, it can be used to slash downwards, upwards, and stab forward as you punch, driving behind it a lot of force.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

Yeah. I don't much care for them either- Pointless spray of blood is pointless. Also weird time stuff.
Arm-stabby-blade-stabbies. :D

Norham Waterpaw

Quote from: The Skarzs on April 14, 2014, 01:24:50 AM

What I am thinking is a blade that extends above your fists, connected to a handle you grab, and continuing above your arm (in one piece) to be strapped to your forearm for more support. If made properly, it can be used to slash downwards, upwards, and stab forward as you punch, driving behind it a lot of force.

I have drawn up a similar design. O-O weird. Same concept and everything.

Great minds think alike.  ;D
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

The Skarzs

Yeessss. ;D

On a different note, does anyone do any artistic stuff?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Just some info: a good metal to make hammers from is 4140. There are others, but that works well.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Norham Waterpaw

Quote from: The Skarzs on April 14, 2014, 03:13:07 AM
Yeessss. ;D

On a different note, does anyone do any artistic stuff?

Well, yes. Blacksmithingly, no. Drawing-wise, yes!
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

The Shade

Where do y'all forge?
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

The Skarzs

I'm getting my own forge at home; it's a long process.
Otherwise I go down to a blacksmithing conference where they sometimes have it as open forge.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Good grief, what DON'T you do, Skarzs? Ballet dance? On a side note, this is cool! I've recently acquired an interest in whittling/Wood working myself....You guys should post some pictures of what you make! That would be amazing. Plus, us other non-blacksmiths might understand what on earth you're talking about a little better. ;D :D