News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Hedgehogs in general

Started by BlueRose, May 19, 2014, 09:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueRose

So, I'd like everyone's opinion on... waaaaiiittt for it..... Hedgehogs. (obviously)

As far as I can tell, they aren't a particularly popular species. There few who have major roles in the Redwall books, and even then, they seem a little shadowed by the other species. They don't really seem to have a 'place'... Other than Cellar Hogs and Nomads.

Other species have places (based on what the majority of each species seem to be), hares are soldiers, badgers are rulers, moles are diggers and builders, and mice tend to have the most important roles.

So, thoughts, anyone?
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Dag Downyfur

Yeah, they really don't have much of a specific role. They seem to be the workers that fit into roles no other beast fits into.
Doctor Who is epic, so is Sherlock. And many other fandoms, but there's not enough room to list them all in my signature!
"I am and always will be the optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams." -Matt Smith

W0NWILL

Hedgehogs are one of my favorite species, next to hares and voles. I particularly like the ways they use their body practically. A single hedgehog could cause mass confusion simply by rolling into the foebeasts.

Sadly, Jacques didn't make any warrior hedgehogs that did that, and the only instance of that happening off the top of my head is Ambrose Spike in the first book.

I think that hedgehogs had great potential to their species, and BJ really missed out on something great by not exploiting that, and instead making them the archtypical farmers and brewers. They really deserve more than that.

FloweringStar

Hedgehogs aren't used to their full potential in the Redwall series. I think they could be a lot of fun if their species had been elaborated on a little more.
Sekai de ichiban ohimesama. ;)

Dag Downyfur

They would have made great warriors, I agree.
They even had sort of natural weapons on their backs!
Doctor Who is epic, so is Sherlock. And many other fandoms, but there's not enough room to list them all in my signature!
"I am and always will be the optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams." -Matt Smith

BlueRose

Right? They would be awesome warriors!
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

The Mask

'Magine iffen a 'hedgepig grabbed some spikes outta his back an' used it as mini spears!
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Sailears

I like a few hedgehog characters - such as Tansy.

However on the whole, as a species, I find them a bit dull and sometimes a bit irritating.
My ears, how are you, wot!

BlueRose

I think that the reason you find them dull is that there aren't many of them that have larger roles. If Brian had used them more often, and wrote them in as fun a way as he wrote, say, otters, hedgehogs would be freaking awesome!

Sailears

Quote from: BlueRose on May 20, 2014, 01:52:03 PM
I think that the reason you find them dull is that there aren't many of them that have larger roles. If Brian had used them more often, and wrote them in as fun a way as he wrote, say, otters, hedgehogs would be freaking awesome!

Good point, although then looking at characters such as Uggo Wiltud...

I dunno - hedgehogs seem to be mostly simple folk with stubborn personalities and strange cultures. They just rub me the wrong way on the whole.

(For the record, I think moles on the other hand are absolutely amazing. ;))
My ears, how are you, wot!

BlueRose

Moles are pretty darn awesome.

Hedgehogs have the potential for awesomeness.

Wylder Treejumper

I don't think so. Hedgehogs just seem... well... flat.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Blazemane

There isn't a single Abbey Warrior in the series who's also a hedgehog, is there?

BlueRose

There isn't. None at all.

Osu

There have been hedgehogs who bore the sword, though. Orkwil, for example: it's plausible he grew to be the Abbey warrior. Uggo had it for a bit, too, although I'm sure he isn't warrior material...

It's strange, now y'all have brought it up, because hedgehogs make very formidable fighters and it'd make sense for a hog to take up the part of Abbey warrior.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.