News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Tales of Imperial Terracor

Started by gorath, May 23, 2014, 01:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorath

Hello! The following link is to a book on Amazon (though it is only on KIndle) Which I am helping to sell. You can at least read the beginning and tell me what you think! My friend James is trying to get one hundred Kindle copies sold so that it can actually be published.

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Imperial-Terracor-King-Country-ebook/dp/B00KH9VRVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400804031&sr=8-1&keywords=James+lazareth

By the way, I plan on being on here more often. Dannflor convinced me.
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

Dannflor

Here is the Book Description:

In the Second Kingdom of Tannimar, during the Reign of the Usurper, the son of the King must rise to lead his people. Court intrigues and powerful enemies bar his path; but good friends and strong mentors stand at the young heir's side. Who will win in the inevitable battle between good and evil?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Leatho Shellhound

Looks neat, but I sadly don't have a kindle.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Edraithel

Was your friend able to have an editor look at it? Because I noticed some mistakes (like it was supposed to be "off" instead of "of") and stuff like that. There are also so some sentences that just don't make sense.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Dannflor

I don't know??

Edraithel

It would probably help him to have someone to proof read it even if it isn't an editor.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

gorath

I told James that he should have gotten an editor, and he said that what's done is done. He told me, though, that as soon as we sell a hundred copies, he will pay to have it edited before it's put into hardback. :-\
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

Dannflor

Hey, James made a book trailer...

Rusvul

Right, so I read a bit of the preview, and it's pretty good. While not riddled with errors, there are quite a few, one every three to five sentences.
I didn't really understand the prologue- I suppose it doesn't really make sense when you've got something on such a grand scale before you know anything about the characters, the world, or the storyline. It didn't really make me want to read more of the story, which is, of course, what a prologue is designed to do.
The storyline, by the way, is alright. It seems a bit overused to me, almost cliche. I can guess from your description and the prologue that the story is most likely something along the lines of 'Boy has had throne stolen from him, rallies army of opressed citizens, attacks castle, takes back crown.' Of course, I haven't read it all the way through, that's just what it seems to be from my current knowledge.

All in all, I'd say that it's decent. With a few storyline tweaks and a little more proofreading and editing, it could easily become an intriguing, very enjoyable book. But in its current state, I am unlikely to buy this book.

Hope this is helpful!

Dannflor

I can Understand why it is confusing in the begining, You have to read more than the preview to understand. But yeah thanks!

Rusvul

Hmm, yeah, but the point of the preview is to make me want to read more, and it didn't do that all that much. But yeah. It definitely has a lot of potential :)

Dannflor

James said that once he sell a certain amount of copies he is going to have editing services, Ah yes the preview I have to admit it is a little bit Not Drawing BUT once you keep on going it is extremely drawing and interesting.

Rusvul

Haaaaaaang on a moment. So the part that you can read for free is the boring bit. And once you buy the book it gets better? So what you're saying is that I should buy a book that doesn't draw me in because I've been told by someone who wants me to buy the book that it gets better after I buy it? Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but that seems a bit... Well, I don't have a good word to fill this spot, but I think you can tell what I mean.

Also, it doesn't cost anything to have someone proofread your work. Someone doesn't have to be a professional, paid editor to read through your work and correct grammatical errors. Really, that's kind of a baseline expectation for a book. I'm not sure what reason there would be to wait until you've sold a hundred or so copies to proofread and edit your work. If you've already had it proofread by your friends and whatnot and you want a professional editor, sure, that makes sense. But... That doesn't seem quite logical.

Dannflor

No, he has to pay the company to get his book back for editing???

Rusvul

...But why wouldn't you proofread it before publishing it? That doesn't make any sense! And why... Why would they ask for money to let you edit it? Maybe they expect completely finished, polished work? Probably. I don't know, really.