What book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Started by DanielofRedwall, August 19, 2011, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattio

Yeah I really liked,stig. I see a lot of resemblance to me. But I also see me as Hal. Lets start a thread for this,

SPSF kodachorm otter7486

BN 1983 roster list and some logbook i found

Phoenix

Juneteenth
Thor's Hammer: Myths of the Norsemen (for the millionth time)
Ender's Shadow (for the millionth time)
NOOK Terms of Service (well it's a eBook on the Nook, so... meh.)

cregga rose eyes

I just finished a book called Mastiff by Temora Peirce earlier today.
Drifting with the wind
I usually go by LakeLake nowadays

Lily

I just watched the musical of The Scarlet Pimpernel, so I thought I should read the book. I'm not that far into it, but I'm enjoying it so far. The musical is good to, for anyone who's interested. i.e. No one.

Buzz_Bumble

I finished reading Redwall: The Sable Quean a couple of weeks ago.  :)

At the moment I'm reading the latest in the Hal Spacejock series (#5: Baker's Dough) by Simon Haynes. It's sort of a teen version of Red Dwarf - it's a comedy / parody series with Hal being an inept space freighter pilot who can't actually fly a spaceship and his sidekick robot called Clunk. Simon Haynes also writes a series of Hal Junior books for younger kids.

Probably next on the list to read are the novel of the original 1980's V sci-fi TV mini-series and it's sequel book.

Redwaller

Romsca

Quote from: Lily on April 11, 2013, 01:22:34 AM
I just watched the musical of The Scarlet Pimpernel, so I thought I should read the book. I'm not that far into it, but I'm enjoying it so far. The musical is good to, for anyone who's interested. i.e. No one.

There's a musical?

Buzz_Bumble

Apparently so: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Pimpernel_(musical)

and

You can also get comic book versions of Shakespeare ... not that anyone would want to read them. Even in comic book form Shakespeare is boring, incomprehensible rubbish. That's why schools have to force kids to read it.  ;)

Romsca

Ugh... I had to read the Merchant of Venice... it was... *shivers*... pure torture! :-X

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 12, 2013, 07:45:34 AM
Apparently so: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Pimpernel_(musical)

and

I'm going to look into that! I actually loved that book!

Buzz_Bumble

I can't even remember which one of Shakespeare's rubbish I was forced to read, nor can I remember most of the other boring trash we were forced to read in school English (Lit.) classes ... the only ones I remember are the ones where we got to choose our own book and the boring Catcher in the Rye:)

Rusvul

For those of you wondering about
Spoiler
Dustfinger's Death
[close]

I read the last book, Inkdeath, and...
WARNING! EXTREME SPOILER ALERT! THIS WILL NOT RUIN PLOT, BUT IS A VERY BIG PIECE OF IT!! IF YOU WISH TO READ THE BOOK UNTAINTED, DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER!!!!!
Spoiler
Dustfinger does indeed die in book two, but he is brought back to life by Mortimer, via a conversation with death. He is permitted to live for a month, he is given a month to kill the Adderhead, and if he and Mo fail, Mo, Meggie, and Dustfinger will all die. Death doesn't much like Mo, since he made the Adderhead immortal. And orpheus becomes completely undeniably 100% evil. I don't remember if he dies or not
[close]

Para the Mite

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on April 13, 2013, 11:05:16 PM
I can't even remember which one of Shakespeare's rubbish I was forced to read, nor can I remember most of the other boring trash we were forced to read in school English (Lit.) classes ... the only ones I remember are the ones where we got to choose our own book and the boring Catcher in the Rye:)

*sighs* It's that sort of attitude that breaks my heart. I may not have truly liked Shakespeare back in high school, but being forced to read his work helped me immeasurably to widen my vocabulary and, really, just learn. Reading literature, especially any old English literature (and I can't believe I'm saying this but...), is about the best thing you can do if you truly want to be a well-rounded, intelligent, critical thinker. It saddens me to see teens these days who can't even spell 'kitchen' or 'great' and have no idea what the difference between 'there', 'their' and 'they're' is.

But I digress...lol

Currently I'm re-reading The Long Patrol. I intend the buy the books I still don't have which include: The Sable Queen, Doomwyte and The Rogue Crew.

I'd love to be reading The Tempest but I still lack it. I also want to buy a copy of The Twelfth Night and Midsummer Night's Dream, since we're on the topic of Shakespeare. lol

King Lear, though, wasn't so fond of that one. The slow descent into the king's madness was a bit...too slow for my liking. lol

And despite loving the concept, I found I didn't enjoy reading The Golden Compass. Quit right after the first chapter. The writing felt a bit dry to me. :/
'Paws of wrong meet paws of right,
As autumn leaves would turn.
Fates entangled in dawn's cruel light,
Where the lizard fires once burned.
The shadows of evil walk with thee, thy babe,
Dare ye wish it not to be true?
Wouldst thou seek the path of right,
If it brought only pain to you?'

Rusvul

Oooh, I read the philip pullman books. I liked them, but of course you don't have to :P. I didn't much like the ending, too sad. The Daemon idea is awesome, though.

Krowdon

I just finished reading The Silence of the Lambs and have moved on to Pet Sematary (yes, it is supposed to be spelled like Sematary)

I've seen both those movies, and I have to say the books are better. I haven't finished the book yet, but I have to say Pet Sematary is my favorite thing Stephen King has done.

Also, I don't reccomend either of those books unless you are 16 or have parental consent to read them as one of them can be disturbing, and the other is a horror novel.

After that I plan to read A Clockwork Orange.

Has anyone read that before? I want to read it but I've heard mixed reviews.