News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Tribble Math

Started by Rusvul, September 18, 2014, 01:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusvul

Tribbles are cute little fluffballs from Star Trek. They're animals, and they make cute little cooing noises that soothe humans.

But they're extremely dangerous.

Tribbles are, as far as I know, both male and female. A tribble is born pregnant, and after three days gives birth to a litter of ten tribbles, on average, who, in turn, are all pregnant. After a tribble has given birth to its initial litter, it then mates with another tribble (Most likely of its own litter) and they both produce another litter. So they multiply EXTREMELY quickly.

1 tribble over 3 days means 11 tribbles. 11 tribbles over 3 days means 121. Et cetera.

So here's my question:

If on New Year's Day I had a single, newborn tribble, how many tribbles would I have by New Year's Day the next year?

Exponential tribble growth. Evil.

Faiyloe

Your explanation is close but not exact. Tribbles are bisexual and they reproduce at will. Meaning they do not need a mate.
One tribbel with an average litter of ten producing a new litter every 12 hours. Over the course of three days you would have 1,771,561... according to Spock.  And yes I looked that up... You do the math.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Mask

I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Faiyloe

Oh a lot more than that. Way more than that. No, the earth would be drowning in tribbles at that point.

Rusvul

Quote from: Faiyloe on September 18, 2014, 02:29:49 AM
Your explanation is close but not exact. Tribbles are bisexual and they reproduce at will. Meaning they do not need a mate.
One tribbel with an average litter of ten producing a new litter every 12 hours. Over the course of three days you would have 1,771,561... according to Spock.  And yes I looked that up... You do the math.
Did you remember the 1,771,561 from memory? Or did you have to look that up? :P

Morgazath

"The power of darkness is mine. At last I am free to reign destruction as I please. This world will be consumed, and you will be crushed. I am Mozaru, Lord of Night and Shadow." -Excerpt from The Chronicles of Light and Darkness. (A book I'm writing.)

Faiyloe

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on September 18, 2014, 05:22:35 AM
Did you remember the 1,771,561 from memory? Or did you have to look that up? :P

^^^^ Says it all right there... Netflix is awesome.  ;D 

Rusvul

Yes, yes it is...

According to this chart, after 72 hours of unlimited food and one tribble... You'd have roughly 2,000,000 tribbles. Two MILLION! After 72 hours.

You know, these guys might have a practical application...

SOLVE WORLD HUNGERRRRRR!

Faiyloe

:o !!!!!!!!  :o :o :o :o You are heartless!  :-X

Izeroth

My solution for tribble infested worlds is simple: nuke them from orbit, multiple times if need be.

BadgerLordFiredrake

As a biochemist...

Does it matter?  I'll just make a tribble-targeting virus :3
baby turtle forever

Faiyloe

Um the question was not how to get rid of them but how many of them would there be?  And Russ even if eating them was an option at the rate that they reproduce there would be more of them then we could eat.

The Mask

5.9536e+16 That's how many Tribbles you get according to the 72 Hour logic.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock