News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Manga/Anime

Started by Maudie, November 29, 2014, 06:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

*Recognizes the name from Dan's second anime recommendations video* I think that's still new, so it's not over? I dunno, I've slept since yesterday.

Aimless Gallivanter

according to ine website i glanced at on my way between classes it's over
im gay!!!!!!

Banya

Oooh, okay, I'll check out Mob Psycho 100.

I'm watching Yuri!!! on Ice. I haven't really gotten into the sports anime craze, but I'm liking this one. I love the opening.

Banya

*bump* *huge info dump*

I love Yuri!!! on Ice so much. SO MUCH. It's visually beautiful. It's musically beautiful. The story is beautiful. The characters are beautiful. Oh my word.

I just finished Assassination Classroom, and it was amazing. The turns the story took were unpredictable and endlessly entertaining. The show was hilarious and the end was emotional. Loved it.
Here's a 20-inch chalk drawing I did last night of the main character.
Nagisa, Assassination Classroom
[close]

One Punch Man I didn't love so much. I didn't like the gore, and it was entertaining at first but it lost that quality halfway through. If it had been more than 12 episodes I probably would've shelved it.

Mekakucity Actors was pretty good. I liked the characters and thought their powers had potential for a good story, but the story given wasn't strong.

K-Project is great. I'm a fan. Really good action scenes, visually gorgeous, good music too. I like the characters and their relationships, but there are some backstories/explanations missing. I've heard a third season is in the works, and I hope that's more than just a rumour.

I have another con this weekend!! It's called Con+Alt+Delete and is in Chicago. Friday evening I'm in an 18+ Black Butler panel reprising my Doll cosplay. I've had fun talking to and planning with the others in the panel; there are 10 of us total, and the others are so much more experienced in the con-going community than I am, so there's a lot I can learn from them. Other than Doll, I'm going as Yurio from Yuri!!! on Ice, Isabel from Attack on Titan, and Konan from Naruto. This morning I spent several hours making Konan's paper flower bouquet.
Konan's bouquet
I made the origami flowers about a month ago. I've never done origami before, so starting with something as difficult as a rose was a challenge, and it took a few hours to get the first one right, but now I can do one in 5-10 minutes and they turn out pretty nice. The bouquet has 11 roses. The outer part of the bouquet is a piece of flipchart paper cut into rectangles and taped together, then wrapped into a cone with the tape on the inside. I cut up another piece of flipchart paper and crumpled it up to fill the cone, then taped the roses into place on top of it. I'm happy with this thing I made. Counting the 1+ hour it took to make the roses, I think it took about 5 hours total.
[close]

Aimless Gallivanter

wow that's really exciting!!!! i hope you have tons of fun. ive never been in a panel, and the way my budget looks, i doubt ill even be able to go to a con anytime soon haha.
im gay!!!!!!

Feles

QuoteMekakucity Actors was pretty good. I liked the characters and thought their powers had potential for a good story, but the story given wasn't strong.

I need to find time to finish that.
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Kitsune

I started a new one recently called No Game No Life. It's a bit more inappropriate than I expected or am used to, but it's still really interesting. I love it when characters are clever.

My favorite scene so far (I just started it today) was in I think episode 3 or 4, with the queen and the knight in the unusual chess match. It's a small moment, but I found it touching.

EDIT: I finished the whole thing in one day...? Guess I'll just have to wait until the next season comes out. :P

Banya

I finished Nabari no Ou yesterday. It was wonderful from start to finish. I love the relationships between the characters, and I don't mind that the action took a backseat to relationship development. The ending broke me.

I also watched Bungou Stray Dogs this morning. It was so good that I watched the whole thing in one sitting without meaning to. It was hilarious but also had a good story and great fighting scenes, and visually, it's probably the second-prettiest anime I've seen, coming in after K-Project and just ahead of Yuri!!! on Ice. Would recommend.

Edit: I finished Joker Game a few weeks ago. It's about Japanese spies just before the outbreak of World War II. It became pretty episodic a short way in, but I still liked tying the characters and plot back to the first few episodes. It all makes sense, and it was a good watch. I'd watch it again.

Edit 2: I went to another con a month ago. Ohayocon in Columbus, Ohio. It's in 6th place among the 6 cons I've been to, but it was all right. Things they did wrong include having small panel rooms (not that they can really help that) that limited the number of people who could get in, making people who really wanted to see a specific panel have to get in line an hour or more ahead of time and miss out on other things. I didn't want to spend all my time in lines, so I passed on a lot of panels I'd have liked to see. They also had wristbands instead of badges on lanyards, which were incompatible with many people's cosplays and couldn't be removed during photoshoots. I wanted to wear my Eto Yoshimura cosplay from Tokyo Ghoul one day but couldn't, as it involves a morphsuit, and I couldn't cover my wristband. I did, however, go as Doll from Black Butler (again), Yurio from Yuri!!! on Ice, and Karin from Naruto Shippuden. I went with five guys from my university anime club, though I didn't hang out with them the whole time.

My uni anime club also put on a mini-con last Saturday. It was fun and got a number of people from campus there in cosplay. I went as Tenten from Naruto Shippuden. We had all the usual things a con has: a cosplay contest, anime jeopardy, anime name that tune, panels, vendors and artists, and a maid cafe. I was responsible for stopping and starting episodes in screenings, selling raffle tickets, and helping raffle off merch. Because of the screenings, I kind of got into Snow White with the Red Hair. It's cute, kind of medieval, reminds me of the kind of books I liked as a kid/teen, and I plan to keep watching.

Jetthebinturong

Have any BL or anime with incidental BL in it to recommend? (Aside from Nabari no Ou, obviously).
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Luftwaffles

I finished all six seasons of Major (plus the World Series OVA) a short while ago. Literally one of the best Animès that I have ever watched.

I also re-watched Kuroko No Basuke. Still amazing.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Banya

Quote from: Jet the binturong on February 18, 2017, 11:55:05 PM
Have any BL or anime with incidental BL in it to recommend? (Aside from Nabari no Ou, obviously).

I got you.

No. 6 (recommend this 100x over)
Yuri!!! on Ice (also recommend this 100x over)
Bungou Stray Dogs (BL is hinted at)
Love Stage
Wandering Son (haven't seen, but it's about transgender youths)
Antique Bakery (this was recommended to me, haven't seen)
Tiger and Bunny (I found this somewhere but haven't seen it yet)
HaruChika (found somewhere but haven't seen yet)

I'll PM you with more. If I find any other titles, I'll let you know, and if you find more, let me know!

Lady Ashenwyte

Any recommended animes for someone who's getting back into them after a while? I have FMA:B and Fist of the North Star on my list at the moment.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Aimless Gallivanter

im gay!!!!!!

Banya

Jetthebinturong

Death Note.

I also think if you're interested in the aesthetics of anime, then Yuri!!! On Ice is worth watching purely for the amazingly beautiful animation.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan