News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Does anyone know anything about the modern KKK?

Started by Blaggut, February 06, 2015, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaggut

Hey guys, I'm working on a post-apocolayptic world for my novel and maybe a tabletop RPG. In one part of the world I want there to be a KKK Kamp (Pardon the pun.) where rituals happen and such, but the Moderen uniform colors and insignias are confusing. I doubt anyone here is a former KKK member, but does anyone know any info about them?
~Just a soft space boi~

Romsca

Look on Wikipedia.

When I saw this topic I was like 
Hopefully they will be the villains in your work. They're super evil

James Gryphon

I've read a little bit about them in the past, but it isn't anything you're not as likely to know. If it's post-apocalyptic, honestly you could probably get along just as well by making stuff up. They've already apparently changed a bunch of stuff over the past century or so.

From what I can tell by Wikipedia, the key to making KKK ranks is that it has to have "Imperial" or "Grand" in there as a prefix. Then, all you've got to do is to throw in the name of a fantasy being, entity, or monster, and you're good to go. There doesn't have to be any rhyme or reason to this; just use the first word that pops into your head. Same goes for uniforms, insignias, colors, all of that. The only thing that has to stick is the robes and pointy hats; they wouldn't be recognizable without them.
« Subject to editing »

Blaggut

~Just a soft space boi~

Cornflower MM

Um. . . . No. Not really. Sorry?

(My first reaction to this topic title --> *Water spews everywhere* Whaaaaaat? )

Morgazath

Quote from: Cornflower MM on February 09, 2015, 01:10:36 AM

(My first reaction to this topic title --> *Water spews everywhere* Whaaaaaat? )
And your face like that of the chicken as your profile pic, right?
"The power of darkness is mine. At last I am free to reign destruction as I please. This world will be consumed, and you will be crushed. I am Mozaru, Lord of Night and Shadow." -Excerpt from The Chronicles of Light and Darkness. (A book I'm writing.)

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Morgazath on February 14, 2015, 01:55:28 AM

IT'S A PILEATED WOODPECKER!

Morgazath

Quote from: Cornflower MM on February 14, 2015, 09:56:04 PM
Quote from: Morgazath on February 14, 2015, 01:55:28 AM

IT'S A PILEATED WOODPECKER!
Looks like a chicken to me. ::) ::) ::)
"The power of darkness is mine. At last I am free to reign destruction as I please. This world will be consumed, and you will be crushed. I am Mozaru, Lord of Night and Shadow." -Excerpt from The Chronicles of Light and Darkness. (A book I'm writing.)

Gonff the Mousethief

All I really know about them now is that they reside in Harrison Arkansas. They have definitely depleted in numbers, but there are still some out there.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Blaggut

They don't only reside there. But the only have 5000 members. Thigh they've defiantly mellowed down. On a documentary, they were doing a bake sell to help impoverished whites. And passing out fliers. How very friendly! Are they girl scouts? :P
~Just a soft space boi~

James Gryphon

The thing to remember about the KKK (and most other extremist organizations like them) is that most of their members actually believe the drivel they're repeating. Somehow, they've gotten it into their heads that they're doing the right thing, and that's part of what makes them so dangerous.

Extremist organizations have two sides. There's their extremist front, with all the bizarre activities that you're accustomed to. In the case of the KKK, that would include cross-burning, intimidating people of color, things of that nature. Then there's the home front, where they cater to their intended audience. They offer genuine benefits to their members and proponents. The trouble is that membership and those benefits aren't free. You have to subscribe to the group's dogma.

One of my all-time heroes is the late Reverend Wade Watts. He had a profound impact on the lives of many, including a former KKK member named Johnny Lee Clary. Read about Mr. Clary's life if you want a better picture of how people end up in groups like the Klan, and some of the stuff that they actually (not just pretend to) believe.
« Subject to editing »

MatthiasMan

Quote from: Blaggut on February 06, 2015, 06:30:20 PM
Hey guys, I'm working on a post-apocolayptic world for my novel and maybe a tabletop RPG. In one part of the world I want there to be a KKK Kamp (Pardon the pun.) where rituals happen and such, but the Moderen uniform colors and insignias are confusing. I doubt anyone here is a former KKK member, but does anyone know any info about them?

Just note, the KKK is something that shouldn't be spoken about lightly. There is nothing funny about the things they did and you should take this seriously. Certain things shouldn't be messed around with.

Blaggut

They are quite weird. How did they even get it into their head it was correct?
~Just a soft space boi~

James Gryphon

Some of the common threads I've seen are upbringing and pseudo-science.

In Mr. Clary's case, he got started in racism basically because his dad was a racist, and encouraged his son to behave the same way. Once he was older and was having trouble, the Klan seemed to offer him a way out. Thanks to his dad, he didn't find racism disagreeable, so he soaked up their doctrine, and didn't think too hard about anything they told him until he met Mr. Watts.

On pseudo-science: you'll see a lot of this, for instance, in Nazism. The basic idea is that due to genetics, some large group of people (whites, blacks, men, whatever) is better than another group of people. Then they offer fraternity and solidarity to their preferred group, with the idea that the preferred group should be running everything in the world. The Nazis believed in the concept of the "Aryan superman". There have been black extremists that believe that somehow, melanin relates to intelligence. Some chauvinists used to claim that, essentially, being a woman was a birth defect. You get the idea. Somebody takes something that most people don't understand and use misinterpretations of science to cover for whatever idea they're selling that day.
« Subject to editing »

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

An' yet, regardlezz, zey are av ztill 'uman (zuppozedly), albeit often a bad example o' vone. Ach, 'umanz...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.