News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Rose got concussed

Started by Istar Crossbridge, February 10, 2015, 08:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Istar Crossbridge

... instead of dying. I'd play Rose, and I guess we'd need a Martin, a Brome, a Grumm, a Gonff a bit later, and... We need a bit of a reason for Martin and Co. to move south. Perhaps he's bitten by wanderlust, or he has a dream/vision, and just has a need. We also need someone to play other characters, like Dinny, and maybe Bella, and Boar the Fighter. Maybe just one person to play the characters that the plot doesn't centre around.

About Martin and Rose: I'd like them to perhaps continue along the path that canon set out for them, romantically. I don't expect explicit making of mousebabes, but I would like a proposal, if and when we deem it proper.

About Rose's brain: It is now injured. Don't worry. Rose is Rose, and she will remain a brave, capable, and strong main character. However, I do foresee her losing fine motor skills, so her sling is now possibly worse than useless in a fight. She will probably also forget a lot of things she doesn't explicitly memorise.

Umm, if there's any reason an action should have a chance of failure given a character's skill set, roll 4D6 to determine success or not. If you are dissatisfied with your result, you can reroll or add four points to your original roll.  I want to use http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm, if that's okay.

Oh, and the character sheet:

Name

Skill set/personality based advantages

Shortcomings/reasons for a character to mess up.

For instance:

Rose of Noonvale

Doesn't give up, dedicated, hard working, singing, imitating voices, and whatever new weapons skills she picks up from Martin and maybe Boar.

Impulsive, and if she tries to wait and think things through, it'll probably take a few seconds longer than most will be willing to give her. Poor fine motor skills, needs to learn a larger weapon than a sling, like a staff or javelin at first, and if everyone thinks it's doable, maybe a polearm later.
"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

"But that's not all! We gladly suffer, because we know that suffering helps us to endure. And endurance builds character, which gives us a hope that will never disappoint us."

Have the last say the Dark Side does not.

Cornflower MM

*Scratches head* I'm sorry, what? Excellent RP idea, but I'm confused by that last bit. . . . Care to explain?

Wylder Treejumper

Good idea for the RP, but a bit of refining needed. First, I'd expect standards to be set (You mentioned some, but you might want to codify them), streamline the story (As it is, I know Rose is injured, but I can't figure out the supposed plot), refine the character sheet:
Standard Character Sheet
Name:
Species:
Appearance: (Including weapons and clothing)
Personality:
History:
Other:
[close]
Oh, and finally, we don't use any arbitrary devices (i.e. dice) to decide the actions in an RP, we simply do what is feasible and moves the story along.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Istar Crossbridge

Oh, cool! I'm used to incredibly rules light like that.

And, it's basically Mossflower, but with a brain injured Rose, and won't that make an interesting plot butterfly-into-tornado.

The skill set and weaknesses are basically borrowed and compressed from the fate core rules, like the dice rules were. Is it okay if I keep that?

Name: Rose
Species: I dunno, a mouse perhaps? :))
Appearance: Beautiful. Likes light dresses that don't hamper movement. Carries a staff, at first to help her balance, then as a weapon.
Personality: Has a tendency to get angry if someone says that they don't believe she can do a given thing. I mean, she's still caring and strong, but it's hard for her to have opportunities to show it.
History: Was nearly killed at Marshank helping Martin. Other than that, as canon.
Other: Doesn't give up, dedicated, hard working, good at singing and imitating voices, and whatever new weapons skills she picks up from Martin and maybe Boar. Impulsive, and if she tries to wait and think things through, it'll probably take a few seconds longer than most will be willing to give her. Poor fine motor skills.

"But that's not all! We gladly suffer, because we know that suffering helps us to endure. And endurance builds character, which gives us a hope that will never disappoint us."

Wylder Treejumper

Fate Core rules? That is an RPG system. This is no RPG, we don't use set rules like that. We don't create stacks of attributes, we create personalities and histories instead.

It might be easier to describe this as reactive multi-person storytelling.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Istar Crossbridge

Fate core is one of the most substance encouraging rpgs I've known of, aside from, you know, reactive multi-person storytelling.

Does it sound fun?

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Istar Crossbridge on February 12, 2015, 01:44:44 AM
Fate core is one of the most substance encouraging rpgs I've known of, aside from, you know, reactive multi-person storytelling.

Does it sound fun?

Oi'm gurtly confuzzled.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Wylder Treejumper

Fun? Perhaps. I wouldn't know. Useful? Not here. No one here has access to the rulesets, and it adds uneccesary complication. Try to stick to the basics.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Istar Crossbridge

Well, we can tell I've been away from forums awhile... I meant, did the game idea sound fun? And Fate rules are kinda out there for free with a little Google fu. But nobody wants to use it, and I'm okay with that.

So, are y'all interested in my idea? If so, who wants to play whom?

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Istar Crossbridge on February 12, 2015, 01:44:44 AM

Does it sound fun?

I dunno if it sounds fun or not, I can't figure out what the heck you mean! Try doing a little research, okay?  ;)

Istar Crossbridge

I'm not talking about rulesets any more.

Does the idea of a game where we act out the scenario of Rose getting concussed instead of dying appeal to you?

Gonff the Mousethief

It does appeal to me. I wouldn't mind being Gonff, but only if there is enough people.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Cornflower MM

Yes, I already said so. Is it alright if I play Martin?

Lady Ashenwyte

I'm willing to play Pollieekin and Abbess Germaine or Columbine.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Istar Crossbridge

Lessee, for our main starters,  I guess we'd need Grumm, and Brome too. I'd take them, I guess. So, do we have enough to get started?