News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Interesting Facts

Started by Izeroth, June 16, 2015, 03:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tungro

There are 33million more men in China that women

The Witessss

you know exactly why that is? because they have that one (or recently 2) kid rule, and why would they have a girl and not have a better working boy instead? (it is true, men are much better at manual labor, no denying) so they abort the girls and wait for the boy to come instead. stupid rule.
the wwwiiiiiitttttttteeeeessssssss!

Tungro

Quote from: The Witessss on March 04, 2019, 10:41:36 PM
you know exactly why that is? because they have that one (or recently 2) kid rule, and why would they have a girl and not have a better working boy instead? (it is true, men are much better at manual labor, no denying) so they abort the girls and wait for the boy to come instead. stupid rule.
I knew that, but was trying to avoid talking politics...

The Witessss

meh... too good of an opportunity.
the wwwiiiiiitttttttteeeeessssssss!

Banya

It's not about abortion! Don't go down that road when you don't have to!

Sex-selective abortions are illegal in China. They still exists, but the greater existing issue is infanticide. In fact, because of a lack of access to safe abortions, the abandonment of baby girls has been a huge issue for decades, and not giving them up to an agency abandonment, leaving them on the side of the road abandonment, because you're right: if a family can have only one child, a working boy will be more useful. In fact, it was the high levels of mortality among girls in orphanages in the '90s and 00's that created such large international pressure to do away with the policy.

When the one-child policy was introduced in 1979, more than 80% of China's population was living in rural areas, and in rural areas only, families could have a second child if their first was a daughter. By the end of 2015, when they got rid of the policy, still over 40% of the population was living in rural areas. This created a huge imbalance in the sex ratio of the country. And even now that urban couples can apply to have a second child, half of the couples that are eligible don't want to because of 1.) the cost of living, and because the move from country to city 2.) has increased education levels, and 3.) allowed women more career opportunities; currently, there are more women than men in college in China. Generally speaking, without restrictions on childbirth in place, you can gauge how developed a country is by how low its birthrate is. Even though some leaders in China were expecting a baby boom by 2018, last year they had their lowest number of births in more than 50 years. Some solutions men wanting a wife are turning to include bride kidnapping and trafficking, so if you want to be upset, be upset about that.

Additionally, a loophole was that women could have children outside of China to avoid being affected by the policy, so many went to Saipan to try for a 2nd or 3rd - and Saipan is a U.S. territory, meaning those babies are automatically U.S. citizens. Anyway, this was certainly not "too good of an opportunity," I wrote this with a little research, so please do your own research and don't just regurgitate what you hear!
[close]

Interesting fact:
Visited the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum a couple weeks ago and learned that Einstein assisted with the penning of a letter to FDR encouraging the development of the nuclear bomb. He was a pacifist and had not previously considered its use as a weapon, but he understood that Germany would not hesitate to make and use nuclear weapons, and it was his influence that brought the U.S. into the nuclear arms race. He never encouraged the use of the bombs, but he later said that recommending their creation was his one regret in life.

Kreg

Interesting fact: the male to female ratio is 50.4 to 49.6
You can't spell low IQ without a lot of boogaly (boo-ga-lee)

Come To My Shop!

OooooOOooo, shiny!

Tungro

A recent survey of 41,000 adults by the Woodrow Wilson Foundation found that only 4 out of 10 Americans were able to pass the U.S. Citizenship Test given to immigrants seeking citizenship.

Another survey published in 2015 found that more than one-third of new college graduates could not even place the Civil War within the correct 20-year time frame.

Jetthebinturong

I mean if British citizenship tests are any indication, they ask a lot of random obscure questions that really don't matter.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on August 19, 2019, 07:17:53 PM
I mean if British citizenship tests are any indication, they ask a lot of random obscure questions that really don't matter.

Yeah, I saw boyinaband's semi-recent video about the British citizenship tests. Most of the questions were either really random, weird ones, or ones with obscure answers. There was only a few that I thought should hold any weight as to whether or not you can become a citizen of a country.

Tungro

Nicaragua is home to the only lake in the world with fresh water bull sharks

Sebias of Redwall

Thirty percent of all Southern white males between the ages of 18 and 40 died in the Civil War. I read that somewhere.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

MathLuk

Gregor Mendel, the Father of Genetics, conducted his research in a Czech Abbey, and in true Redwallian fashion, he loved the company of food.
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

Tungro

70% of modern Russians believe that Stalin's rule was good for the country

Sebias of Redwall

30 million or more Chinese died in "The Great Leap Forward"
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

Can we get some sources for these... 'facts'?
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!