News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Interesting Facts

Started by Izeroth, June 16, 2015, 03:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusvul

The width of very long swords was usually kept to a minimum. A four and a half foot sword is always going to be extremely heavy, but if it's also wide, it's going to be unusably heavy.

There was a variant of the zweihander (I believe a French variant, but I'm not certain) called a flamberge, because the blade is wavy like a flame.

Verdauga

That's true. from what I remember, any of the swords that were over fourteen pounds were for ceremonial use only...
As to the flamberge, I have heard of it, but I don't know if it was based off the zweihander. That said, it's been a while since I researched it, and I think you're right that it is based off it.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

The Skarzs

Flamberge doesn't necessarily mean one type of greatsword or zwiehander. That's just what the name is commonly associated with. You could have a flamberge arming sword.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Kreg

PUGS

1. They're an ancient breed

Because the pug lineage stretches so far back, their early history is a little murky. Most believe that the breed originated in China and existed before 400 BCE and were called (or at least closely related to a breed called) "lo-sze." Buddhist monks kept the dogs as pets in Tibetan monasteries.

2. They were treated like royalty
Emperors of China kept pugs as lapdogs and treated them to all the luxuries of royal life. Sometimes the pampered pooches were given their own mini palaces and guards. 

3. There short noses cause some trouble
Pugs are brachycephalic, meaning their noses are pushed in more than other dogs.  These smushed faces can lead to some breathing problems. Their facial structure makes it difficult to take long and deep breaths, Pugs are still very energetic, but they might not be the best swimmers and may have trouble on airplanes.

4. Pugs are made to be companions
Pugs are excellent pets because of their adaptable personality. Whether you like to stay at home or enjoy the outdoors pugs will be up for anything. their favorite place is right by your side.
You can't spell low IQ without a lot of boogaly (boo-ga-lee)

Come To My Shop!

OooooOOooo, shiny!

shisteer of nothing much

New Zealand has the highest density of sheep per unit area in the world.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Tungro

Andorra is a small county in between France and Spain.
"Despite not being involved in any fighting during the First World War, Andorra was technically the longest combatant, as the country was left out of the Versailles Peace Conference, technically remaining at war with Germany from its original declaration of war in 1914 until 24 September 1958 when Andorra officially declared peace with Germany."

shisteer of nothing much

Baby chicks have 'egg teeth' with which to break their eggs.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

One can 'candle' an egg to determine if it is a double-yoked egg.
Or just cook it without caring. (But that last part is obvious.)

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

shisteer of nothing much

You can also candle eggs to see if they're fertile.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

shisteer of nothing much

That is very interesting indeed.

Snakes don't have chins.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Tungro

The way the US confirmed the recent death of ISIS leader was that they previously took a DNA sample from his underwear

Verdauga

The word 'very' comes from the Latin root 'veritas'; the word 'very' literally is another word for 'truly'.
On that note,
The Greek word for truth is translated into English as 'candor'. When politicians in Greece were campaigning, they would claim to be candid about their declarations, earning them the name 'candidates'.

Grond

Quote from: Tungro on March 04, 2019, 09:27:03 PM
The last significant Confederate active force to surrender was the Confederate allied Cherokee Brigadier General Stand Watie and his Indian soldiers on June 23. The last Confederate surrender occurred on November 6, 1865, when the Confederate warship CSS Shenandoah surrendered at Liverpool, England.

The Cherokee are an interesting case- I think about 10% or so of them owned slaves compared to 25% of southern whites who owned slaves...

Tungro

Quote from: Grond on October 30, 2019, 07:10:42 PM
Quote from: Tungro on March 04, 2019, 09:27:03 PM
The last significant Confederate active force to surrender was the Confederate allied Cherokee Brigadier General Stand Watie and his Indian soldiers on June 23. The last Confederate surrender occurred on November 6, 1865, when the Confederate warship CSS Shenandoah surrendered at Liverpool, England.

The Cherokee are an interesting case- I think about 10% or so of them owned slaves compared to 25% of southern whites who owned slaves...
The main reason they joined the south was to regain lost territory from the Indian Wars with the US

EDIT: I did some quick digging and I couldn't find much on them joining the south because they owned some slaves, just "The Cherokee partnered with the Confederacy in order to get funds, as well as ultimately full recognition as a sovereign, independent state."