News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Paris Attacks

Started by LT Sandpaw, November 15, 2015, 10:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT Sandpaw

For those who don't know a massive terrorist attack happened in several different locations in Paris France. The attacks killed nearly a hundred and thirty people and injured many more.

This isn't a thread to scream at terrorists, as horrible as they are, it is a thread to remember all the people who died, and the direct act of war against France.

France needs support, and brave men and women to deal with these tragedies. I offer up a salute to France.

Edit: I had some slightly incorrect information do to contradicting news articles. Apologies for the mistake. It is now fixed.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Skyblade

I was considering discussing this as well. Thank you, Sand.

I'm praying for them.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

BadgerLordFiredrake

Please also acknowledge the terrible things happening in places such as Syria daily...
baby turtle forever

Gonff the Mousethief

Yes, this is awful. Pure awful. However, France sent air strikes today and blew up I think part of an Islamic State. That is what we need. These terrorists try to scare us so we won't attack, but countries such as France only take that fear and turn it into courage. I wish the US would act like this as well.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Jukka the Sling

Yes, this is terrible.  The whole situation in Europe at the moment infuriates me, and this just exacerbates my anger.  It's so sick how people can do this stuff.

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on November 16, 2015, 03:18:42 AM
Yes, this is awful. Pure awful. However, France sent air strikes today and blew up I think part of an Islamic State. That is what we need. These terrorists try to scare us so we won't attack, but countries such as France only take that fear and turn it into courage. I wish the US would act like this as well.
Well said.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Groddil

The worst part of it is that it's completely pointless. What reason do they have? Religion? Here in Australia we aren't exactly telling anyone who they can and cannot worship, so why the hell people could use that as an excuse is well beyond me.

Jetthebinturong

The IS and groups like them believe it their God-given duty to kill all non-Muslims because of a part of their scripture about Jihad. They're utterly insane.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Groddil

And they never stop to think that maybe (just maybe) there's a reason why all the non-terrorist Muslims aren't killing everyone? Disgusting. All the people who died in Europe had nothing whatsoever to do with these terrorists, and they were murdered anyway. I completely agree with Gonff.

Jukka the Sling

They also kill "moderate" Muslims because they think they aren't true followers of Islam.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Kitsune

I am disgusted and deeply saddened at how evil people can be to each other. Those in Paris have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Blaggut

Who claimed responsibility for the attack? ISIS?

France actually did something? First time that's happened since Napoleon.
~Just a soft space boi~

James Gryphon

Obviously it's a terrible situation. What's happened has happened; the best we can hope for now is that those injured recover, and that the perpetrators are swiftly dealt with.

@Blaggut: That's not a fair statement (that it's the first time they've done anything in 200 years). The Great War (now known as WWI) was the French Republic's last stand as one of the major players in Europe. They held the line valiantly, in spite of the best efforts of many of their commanders to waste as many of their troops as possible in futile human wave attacks against entrenched machine guns.

The country never really recovered from that. Even so, their loss in the next war took a combination of horrible commanders and really bad luck. The German army was by no means unstoppable in 1940, and the French could have held their own if it wasn't for the people at the top. Other countries have had plenty of military meltdowns, they just generally haven't happened in such a dramatic fashion (and at the country's front steps).

France's recent record hasn't been spectacular, but it isn't as bad as it's made out to be either.
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

It was ISIS in Syria, and they consider this a great victory to have killed a hundred and thirty innocent people. Apparently they made another twitter and talked about how great the attack was. Muslim's are encouraged by their leaders to take to the streets, and vent their disgust at the ISIS attack. It isn't the religion that is horrible, its the terrorists that are horrible.

Also the French President confirmed that they will be stepping up their efforts to crush the terrorists who were responsible. French troops are already being deployed to defend Paris, and airstrikes have been launched on training camps, and command centers in Syria.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on November 16, 2015, 03:51:31 PM
Muslim's are encouraged by their leaders to take to the streets, and vent their disgust at the ISIS attack. It isn't the religion that is horrible, its the terrorists that are horrible.
Maybe, but I do think it's... interesting that you don't find any other religion doing this stuff on this scale.  (I'm definitely not saying that all Muslims are terrorists; please don't read that into what I said.)  Just an observation.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on November 16, 2015, 03:38:13 AM
The IS and groups like them believe it their God-given duty to kill all non-Muslims because of a part of their scripture about Jihad. They're utterly insane.
And that is why they are some of the few humans who can truly be called evil.

This is a. . . not good thing to come back to after two day's absence in the wilderness. My prayers are with the people in Europe.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.