News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens *SPOILER ALERT*

Started by Wylder Treejumper, December 24, 2015, 06:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your opinion of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens?

It was far better than I had imagined
11 (55%)
It was mostly the movie I had expected and wanted
7 (35%)
Meh...
1 (5%)
I'd rather be stuck in a car with Jar-Jar for 2 hours
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Jukka the Sling

@Soren:  Yeah, I agree.  That novelization apparently says that you can't kill an enemy out of hate because that's giving in to the Dark Side.  What are you supposed to do, then?  If you let the enemy live, more innocent lives will likely be destroyed.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Søren

It would make sense that they could defeat an enemy in a battle, self defense or for the greater good if they're evil. But murder would be the Dark Side.

I'm retired from the forum

Jukka the Sling

That I get, of course, but Rey was fulfilling all three of the reasons you listed.  *is annoyed by the guy who wrote the novel*
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

James Gryphon

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on December 31, 2015, 05:45:49 PM
...Windu should have put Palpatine down. He was right in saying he's too dangerous to be left alive.  Obi Wan showed no remorse after killing Darth Maul (or supposedly killing), and Yoda and Obi Wan had no problem killing the clones at the Jedi temple. Darth Vader killed the Emperor as well. Darth Vader ceased being the bad guy; he let the good in him act.
None of those are comparable cases, though. In each of those circumstances the person slain was armed and dangerous. Darth Maul and the clones were both carrying weapons, and Palpatine was clearly always dangerous as long as he had any Force power to draw on. In none of these cases were they killing a defeated, defenseless enemy.

I haven't seen the film or read the story yet, so I'm not clear as to what happens in the duel, but if it ends with Rey standing over Kylo Ren, holding a lightsaber at his throat, the precedent (shown in ROTS and ROTJ) seems to be to let him live.

As far as Obi-Wan goes, it's difficult to address this question with the EU being gone now. All I feel like saying right now is that his comment (the one I assume you're referring to, "I will do what I must") seems pretty open-ended to me.
« Subject to editing »

Jetthebinturong

Nah they're in a blade-lock, no one gets disarmed, no one's on the floor.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Søren

Actually, I thought Rey had the upper hand until they were separated.@James
But you have the example that Anakin told Windu he shouldn't kill Palpitine? so did I?

James Gryphon

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on December 31, 2015, 09:49:19 PM
But you have the example that Anakin told Windu he shouldn't kill Palpitine? so did I?
Eh? Could you rephrase that; it does not compute.
« Subject to editing »

Søren