News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens *SPOILER ALERT*

Started by Wylder Treejumper, December 24, 2015, 06:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your opinion of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens?

It was far better than I had imagined
11 (55%)
It was mostly the movie I had expected and wanted
7 (35%)
Meh...
1 (5%)
I'd rather be stuck in a car with Jar-Jar for 2 hours
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Hickory

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on December 30, 2015, 11:06:35 PM
Yeah. But what annoys me the most is Kylo Ren. I think it would have been better if he never took off the helmet. I'd still think he was cool.
Or maybe Han lived, Rey killed Kylo, and Han took off the helmet, akin to Luke and Vader, and with his dying breath Kylo completes his journey to the dark side by killing his father.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Eulaliaaa!

That would've been interesting, but I doubt there would have been time for that. And if Rey had killed Kylo, wouldn't she have gone to the Dark Side?
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Eulaliaaa!

Yeah, but Kylo almost killed Fin, and Rey obviously wasn't thrilled about that. So if she had actually killed him and Han lived to take the helmet off his son's face, the audience would have seen Kylo die. Which would be because of Rey. But I'm not sure that Kylo is dead. He could have gotten off the planet before it exploded, and if he didn't, then it was the planet that killed him - not Rey. In the link Jukka gave, it says in the book that Rey defeated the Dark Side by not finishing him off and giving into the urge to kill him for hurting Fin. I'm not sure if what I'm trying to say is clear, but I think you might get what I'm trying to say.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Jetthebinturong

Ah. I didn't read the thing Jukka linked because I want to find out who Rey is from the movies. Besides that's all fan stuff and doesn't really mean anything.

Jukka the Sling

It wasn't actually fan stuff; it was in the authorized movie novelization.

@Eul:  Kylo actually did survive because Snoke commanded Hux to bring him to him.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Eulaliaaa!

He did? I don't remember that... Well, that's good. I want to see what happens to him. And I want to see how that scar turns out, it may make him look less childish and more intimidating like he should have been.

Jukka the Sling

Actually, I'm not sure I would've remembered either - I saw it on the Wookieepedia page. :P  And anyway, the actor, Adam Driver, is signed on for the next two movies.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Well after reading the article, I'm glad they kept the Disneyfication of Star Wars to the novel. Any Jedi would have killed Kylo Ren, and this supposed Finn/Rey/Poe love triangle definitely does NOT belong in these movies.

Hickory

Wait, love triangle? What half-wit fan theory is this?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on December 31, 2015, 01:05:35 AM
...No?

Heroes always kill villains in fiction.
Last time I checked, in the REAL Star Wars movies (the prequels don't exist. Wait, what prequels?), Luke doesn't kill the bad guy. The bad guy kills the bad guy. So yeah. I hope they keep that whole thing; it was kind of noble, if a bit impractical.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

James Gryphon

I don't know anything about the novel (which, unfortunately, if what you're saying is true, is starting to sound unfaithful to the film), but I'm not sure what the problem with the love triangle thing is. It wasn't very pronounced, but there was almost kinda sorta one in ANH and ESB, what with Leia, Luke and Han.

As far as any Jedi would have killed somebody, I'm not sure that's true. Obi-Wan, the quintessential Jedi, didn't kill Anakin. It's strongly implied that Anakin shouldn't have killed Dooku. Anakin himself claimed that Mace Windu shouldn't kill Palpatine (although that's a lot more ambiguous, since we know that Palpatine wasn't unarmed or defenseless). Luke didn't kill Darth Vader. At the least, I think there's ample evidence that finishing off a defeated opponent isn't a Jedi characteristic, and it sounds like that was the circumstance in this situation.
« Subject to editing »

Jetthebinturong

Obi-Wan intended to kill Anakin, he said so himself at the beginning of the fight. And leaving someone to die because of your actions is killing them, no matter how you dress it up.

Søren

Anakin was under the influence of the Dark Side, Windu should have put Palpitine down. He was right in sayin he's to dangerous to be left alive. He owned the courts. Obi Wan showed no remorse after killing Darth Maul (or supposedly killing), and Yod and Obi Wan had to problem killing the clones at the Jedi temple. Darth Vader killed the Emperor as well. Darth Vader ceased being the bad guy, he let the good in him act.

I'm retired from the forum

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.