News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Verdauga, 2024

Main Menu

The Latin Thread

Started by Blaggut, April 24, 2016, 09:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaggut

For those who study and know ancient Latin.
~Just a soft space boi~

Dotti Dillworthy

That "Lorem ipsum" statement was the reason why I have come to learn that language!

Can you translate this? (Taken from my favourite horror book)

O rex ac regina mundi potentissimi, qui nos vi infinita regitis, vos qui matri nostrae potestatem potentiamque quibus corda mentes animas nostrum regamus attribuistis, auxilium vestrum, di magni atque immortales, precamur. Arcete inimicos fidei nostrae nobis. Protegite domus nostras, fundos nostros, pagum nostrum a mutandi evertendique viribus. Nos semper coniungite ac constringite per fidem caeli veri in terra futuri. Nos dies noctesque erga vos nostra. Gaudete hostiis nostrum vivis et delectamini donis nostris. Utimini corporibus nostris ut templis animae vestrae. Et per veniam vestram nobis date potestatem qua inimicos nostros occidamus et cos ante pedes vestros afferamus ut animae corum expurgatae gloriam vobis conferant.

Hickory

The only Latin phrase I know is "Ad Victoriam!" (To victory)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dotti Dillworthy

Quote from: Sagetip on April 24, 2016, 04:41:44 PM
The only Latin phrase I know is "Ad Victoriam!" (To victory)
Which is equivalent to Celtic/Nordic "Eulalia!"
Also Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam or 'To God Be The Glory."

Blaggut

@Dotti I'm only starting out :P but I revognize Magni (Large), Et (is) and Qui (Who, referring to a male person). Note that word The is not in Latin, but is in Athenian Greek. Also, about 40% or more of English or more is very similar to Latin words. So one might be able to guess the meaning of some of the words.

~Just a soft space boi~

Rusvul

Quote from: Dotti Lovegood on April 24, 2016, 10:40:27 AM
O rex ac regina mundi potentissimi, qui nos vi infinita regitis, vos qui matri nostrae potestatem potentiamque quibus corda mentes animas nostrum regamus attribuistis, auxilium vestrum, di magni atque immortales, precamur. Arcete inimicos fidei nostrae nobis. Protegite domus nostras, fundos nostros, pagum nostrum a mutandi evertendique viribus. Nos semper coniungite ac constringite per fidem caeli veri in terra futuri. Nos dies noctesque erga vos nostra. Gaudete hostiis nostrum vivis et delectamini donis nostris. Utimini corporibus nostris ut templis animae vestrae. Et per veniam vestram nobis date potestatem qua inimicos nostros occidamus et cos ante pedes vestros afferamus ut animae corum expurgatae gloriam vobis conferant.

I'm not anywhere close to fluent in Latin, but I know some random nouns and verbs and such... I'll do my best.

O king ac royal (?) mundi power-something (?), qui nos vi infinity-something royal-something, vos qui mother (?) nostrae potestatem power-something (?) quibus corda teacher/leader (?) soul nostrum royal-something (?) attribuistis, auxilium clothing (?), di big atque immmortal/everlasting, precamur. Arcete inimicos faith nostrae nobis. Protegite domus nostras, fundos nostros, pagum nostrum a mutation-something (??) evertendique viribus. Nos always (?) coniungite ac constringite per faith caeli truth (?) in earth (Earth?) future (?). Nos dies night-something (Nightlike?) erga (So?) vos nostra. Gaudete hostiis (Host or hostile?) nostrum life et delectamini donis nostris. Utimini corporibus nostris ut templis soul/spirit vestrae. Et per veniam vestram (clothing?) nobis date potestatem qua inimicos nostros occidamus et cos ante pedes vestros afferamus ut animae (soul?) corum expurgatae (banish/get rid of?) gloriam vobis conferant.

I thought maybe I'd be able to infer the general meaning from the words I could vaguely distinguish. I was mistaken :P

W0NWILL

Iay owknay igpay atinlay. Oesday atthay ountcay? :P

Quote from: Dotti Lovegood on April 24, 2016, 10:40:27 AMO rex ac regina mundi potentissimi, qui nos vi infinita regitis, vos qui matri nostrae potestatem potentiamque quibus corda mentes animas nostrum regamus attribuistis, auxilium vestrum, di magni atque immortales, precamur. Arcete inimicos fidei nostrae nobis. Protegite domus nostras, fundos nostros, pagum nostrum a mutandi evertendique viribus. Nos semper coniungite ac constringite per fidem caeli veri in terra futuri. Nos dies noctesque erga vos nostra. Gaudete hostiis nostrum vivis et delectamini donis nostris. Utimini corporibus nostris ut templis animae vestrae. Et per veniam vestram nobis date potestatem qua inimicos nostros occidamus et cos ante pedes vestros afferamus ut animae corum expurgatae gloriam vobis conferant.

I mean, I can run it through google translate if that's what you mean, but I can't look at that and tell you what it says.

I've thought about learning Latin, since even though it's a dead language, it's still really relevant to English due to everything that's been derived from Latin. And Latin is, in general, a pretty cool language. I've listened to some YouTube videos win people speaking Latin, and while it may not be as exactly as it was, it's a nice language to listen to. But Romance languages usually are.

Gonff the Mousethief

I have always like Latin, and honestly wish to learn it. Something about it just seems enchanting. But, I'm stuck with Spanish. No me gusta la clase o el español.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Blaggut

Youryay Igpay Atinlay Isay Erribletay. Eenwhay aay ordway artstay ithway aay owlvey youay eavelay ethay irstfay etterlay inay aceplay.

That took forever to translate.
~Just a soft space boi~

Lord Daskar

I have all of Latin Grammar on four pages (Supposedly), I might type it up sometime.

I could probably get 1/3 to 1/2 of this, but it's way to long for me to do for no reason.

Quote from: Bonaparte on April 24, 2016, 06:37:16 PM
@Dotti I'm only starting out :P but I revognize Magni (Large), Et (is) and Qui (Who, referring to a male person). Note that word The is not in Latin, but is in Athenian Greek. Also, about 40% or more of English or more is very similar to Latin words. So one might be able to guess the meaning of some of the words.

Actually Et is 'and', est is 'is'.
When work gets overwhelming, remember that you are going to die. -A Coffee Cup

Be silent, or let thy words be more than silence.

Cheerful
Main Entry:   cheer·ful
Function: Adjective.
1 a : full of good spirits <a cheerful outlook> <cheerful obedience>

Ares saves not the brave man but the coward.

Blaggut

Whoops, that's what I meant to say.

Am I the only one using Lingua Latina? It's a great book. The whole thing is in latin. I like how it doesn't really make you memorize words, but also think in Latin. It's hard to explain, but it makes it really really easy to use. I'm using the one my dad used when he was about 15. (He's 56 now)
~Just a soft space boi~

Lord Daskar

I use it. What chapter are you on? I'm on ten.

Cheerful

Blaggut

I've been studying it with my father, we're on I think Capitulum Quinque, about to go into the sixth. We just finished the one with the villa and garden and stuff. And when Julia got roasted because of her foedus nasum.
~Just a soft space boi~

Lord Daskar

Just wait for eight, it's either the hardest or one of the hardest in the book, I forget why though.

Cheerful

Blaggut

Strange. I'm now on Capitulum Quinque; Via Latina. The cases (Nominutave, Genetive, Ablative, etc) are messing with my head. The ones in English were confusing enough!
~Just a soft space boi~