News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Star Wars discussion

Started by blindsimeonjtp, October 07, 2012, 03:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Søren

Jet and Jukka and Skarzs

[close]

Spoiler
I did like Maul, I wasn't freaking out because I knew the storyline already, but I was more fascinated than anything else.
[close]

I'm retired from the forum

Jukka the Sling

@Søren

Ah, so you got spoiled for the movie beforehand? :/

I'm just so excited that they're incorporating more Clone Wars stuff into the movies now. XD

Also. re: the Lando comic discussion: the comic quote was not (as I first thought) from the 2015 comic, but rather from the Solo tie-in Lando comic.  Just wanted to clear that up.

I can't believe Lando is recording himself and making some show he calls "The Calrissian Chronicles".  Which is the title of some Legends novels. XD

"There's always a bit of truth in legends."
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jukka the Sling

What is happening.

It's such a crazy stupid idea, yet a good part of me wishes it would actually happen.

They aren't wanting to remake it themselves; they want to raise enough money that Disney will be convinced to remake it.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Amber

Hickory

They'd need an exorbitant amount for it. Like, in the billions. They are, essentially, paying Disney to remake it, and Disney will want a lot for that (especially in the wake of Solo). 15 million is just a drop in the water for the Mouse.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jukka the Sling

Yup.  Although, according to their website, $85.4 million has already been pledged.  Last night it was at $43 million.  The only thing required to pledge is an email address, though, so obviously a lot of this is just trolling from the internet at large.

EDIT: In the several minutes it took me to compose that message, the total pledged went up to $86.6 million.  WHAT IS HAPPENING.

The Skarzs

Is it real money, though? O_O
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

I kind of wish it was, but I really doubt it.  I could "pledge" a maximum of $10,000 right now with nothing more than an email address.  They don't require any personal or financial information at the moment.

Currently, their site claims to have over $91.2 million pledged.

Jukka the Sling

I stumbled upon an amazing piece of art (warning for gore) by a guy named Morgan Yon.  I love how it manages to tell an entire story.

Here's another piece he did.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Here's a great article I found explaining why Holdo was a terrible leader, not the feminist icon she's made out to be by some types.  I'm so irritated that some people actually think she was an amazing leader who shut down the sexist, mansplaining Poe.  The people who say that "SJW's are ruining Star Wars" have some valid cause for complaint.

Jetthebinturong

Not really. The Last Jedi is in no way a feminist movie, because it has no compelling characters at all, and the female characters make just as many stupid decisions as the male characters. The Last Jedi sucks because it lacks a compelling narrative and throws away everything the series had going for it, whilst simultaneously destroying the message of the previous media. Saying it sucks because of some sort of SJW agenda is just creating a convenient shield for the people who defend the movie to hide behind and protect it from the many legitimate criticisms that people level at it. Buying into the "SJWs ruined Star Wars!" narrative is exactly what the series' proponents want. Sure you could say that the series has SJW fans (although the term SJW is still stupid and worthless), but that has nothing to do with the actual movies themselves. 
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

Right, the female characters in TLJ make stupid decisions, but the thing is, they aren't presented as stupid decisions.  We're apparently meant to root for Holdo towards the end of her arc and condemn Poe's mutiny, despite the fact that everything Holdo did in the movie was obnoxious and unwise.  (I know there are quite a few fans out there who applaud everything Holdo did and set her on a pedestal as an amazing feminist.)  And several of the men in the movie do things that make them look stupid, while I don't really see that kind of thing with the female characters.

Yeah, it's true that some of the fans who like TLJ have a tendency to dismiss all critics of TLJ as narrow-minded people who don't like diversity or female characters in movies or something, which is completely false.  But I don't think it's farfetched to say that there is a social-justice element to the movie and a good number of its supporters.  I don't know if you looked at the post I linked, but the first part of it is truly amazing:

QuoteVanity Fair published an article titled Star Wars: The Last Jedi Offers the Harsh Condemnation of Mansplaining We Need in 2017, in which Laura Dern declares "I think we're waking up to what we want feminism to look like." A website called Den of Geek wrote, "In The Last Jedi, Poe is presented as a character who needs to stop with the mansplaining and learn from the more seasoned female leaders in his life." MTV said "EPISODE VIII PROVES THAT WOMEN RUN THE GALAXY."

Jukka the Sling

Oh goodness.  I just found out that the music for Snoke in TFA is amazingly similar to the music when Palpatine's telling Anakin the tale of Darth Plagueis!!!  This had to have been deliberate.  In addition, during the San Diego Comic Con back in 2015, someone asked about Plagueis, at which Daisy Ridley looked at J.J. Abrams and asked, "Is that S-" before she stopped herself.

Makes me even more upset about TLJ than ever.  I'm really glad that Abrams is doing IX.  Hopefully he can retcon Snoke to be someone important and explain Rey's ridiculous Force ability in a better way beyond "she read Kylo's mind and downloaded his Force powers" (this is actually in the novelization).  I'd be almost okay with the Force stuff Rey did in TLJ /except/ for lifting three tons of boulders at the end with no strain.  Absolutely absurd.  That's stuff I doubt many prequel-era Jedi could do.

I just keep reading stuff about TLJ and find out even more plot holes and nonsense every day.  I know now that the novelization attempted to explain the Holdo maneuever with some stuff about "augmented experimental shields" and hyperspace coordinates - the excerpt's online if anyone wants to read it - but it's not a satisfactory answer.  And there's so many random other things that are just bad.  It's just weird how quickly Finn and Rose decide that they're being tracked from the main ship and instantly know how to take it down.  (And I'm upset that they keep making Finn the FO's janitor.  He canonically did tons of battle training and received top marks, as shown in the book Before the Awakening.)

There's so much random other stuff too, like when Finn tells Poe they're being tracked from the lead ship, Poe's immediately just like, "okay, let's take the ship out!"  Like, what?  Snoke's ship is enormous!  And Finn replies, "I like where you're heading, but no.  They'd only start tracking us from another Destroyer."  And their whole mutiny they decide on afterwards hinges on the assumption that they're /only/ being tracked by the FO's lead ship, which is a huge assumption to make, since apparently the FO's other ships have hyperspace tracking abilities too!  And why didn't Maz tell them the Master Codebreaker's name and species?  Real helpful.

There's so much more beyond what I've listed.  The movie's okay until you go online and read some criticism, then it falls apart on so many levels.  It's a car crash.

[/rant]